Rubbing noise from rear wheel

yamasaki

Reaction score
Haven’t been out on the bike for a while but it’s also just recently been serviced (BMW). Went for a wee run yesterday and when I was wheeling the bike into the garage I noticed a rubbing sound from the back wheel. It wasn’t constant but sounded more like a tight spot and rather like rubber, as opposed to a brake pad binding sound (though I will give the breakers a quick check, these were also cleaned and serviced, bu BMW)

I had a quick look last night and found the swing arm to be fair warm most of it’s length I haven’t noticed this before so wondering if this is normal or a sign of something expensive!

The tyre was warm ( normal) and the rear disk had some heat but did feel cooler then the hub/ Swingarm. There wasn’t any unusual wear marks on the tyre and nothing seemed to be snagging the tyre or wheel.

So any help with what it might be and likely fix?

Cheers

If you have ABS, the back brake will always feel warm as it's used (a lot) by the linked braking system. The sure way to switch off the ABS is to disconnect the rear speedo sensor and ride the bike. Cold brake = no problems.

Regarding the noise, you will have to put the bike on centre stand and try the wheel until you replicate the rubbing noise. Check the wheel carrier is running true. They might have done the recall work.

DON'T run the engine is gear as the transmission clatter (apart from being no good for the bike) will mask anything subtle.

Model, age & mileage would be helpful.

My first thought was the rear caliper not sliding freely, but you say the bike has just been serviced. Anyway you propose a brake check later - run a spanner over everything that might have been touched at service. BTW, don't run the bike in gear when it's on the stand, or you will stress the UJ on the shaft.

What bike, year, and mileage? Is there play in rear wheel bearings? Is there noise when you turn rear wheel with bike in neutral?

R1200GS ADV 2010. 31000
Checked it over on the Sunday and no noise, except the usual slight brake pad touching disc sound but no drag. Didn’t have time to remove pads/check over caliper but I’m sure everything was done well at service.

Am I the only one who thinks swingarm hotter than disc is strange?

Back
Top Bottom