ICELAND 2019 WEST FJORDS +

Timolgra

reformed
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
NOW A RIDE REPORT STARTING AROUND POST #229 :)

Following on from the success of this years trip to Iceland's wonderful West Fjord region, the guys who went asked if I'd run one again in 2019.

I've had time to think about it and it seems the answer is yes :D

tumblr_mrc10qJdip1riwmwfo1_500.gif

The chaps who went this year plus a few others I know are keen have already been invited but it's important to keep the group to a manageable plus enjoyable number.

This trip is perfectly ok for a GS using appropriate tyres and NOT loaded with everything from a Touratech catalogue plus a little experience beyond simply completing 'an offroad course'.
What this means is, if it's the trip for you but you don't have any or very little experience of riding on gravel, rocky, slippy roads then you have around 8 months to do something about that ie. don't turn up if you can't ride the fucking thing
NB. this of course doesn't only apply to GS riders :D:D:D

That might sound a bit blunt but I've been running offroad trips for GS'ers since 2001 and know you can all have a more enjoyable experience if you're confident :thumb :beerjug:

On that note, there's also the opportunity for anyone going to have a weekend or two on relatively easy trails in Wales.
These weekends together have proved invaluable for many, whether they've been early trips to Morocco, Mongolia or Iceland etc. they're a great shakedown for you with your bike and camping equipment ..... plus they're great fun :)

LJ3Fx51W8G.gif

There's also a possibility I'll be running two trips back to back.
The one mentioned above to the imo more spectacular West Fjords and a second slightly tougher trip focusing more on Iceland's wild interior.

Dates to be confirmed but likely to be second half of July onward.

PM me if you're interested :thumb

37841037_10214539864262763_8125665845826289664_n.jpg

Oh how exciting...

Joe ( no longer riding a GS and Touratech back catalogue)

Put me down for the Western Fjords please Tim :beerjug:

Probably the 690 but need your guidance re: mods

Sounds good. I think yours is fairly well sorted (EVO1?). I'd recommend a Seat Concepts seat for a start, maybe some bar risers, a decent bash plate (mine's Rally Raid Products), front sprocket cover with holes to let the crap out, a decent rear rack, pannier rails (the KTM and Touratech are pretty much identical, so probably all made by TT), soft panniers (I've got Enduristan Monsoons but the Magadans from Adv Spec are good) maybe a heavier rear shock spring. Mine has a steering damper but you can manage without. It's recommended you upgrade the upper a lower tank fixings to the stronger ones made by Rally Raid Products - yours may have that already. I'm sure I can think of more!

Sounds good. I think yours is fairly well sorted (EVO1?). I'd recommend a Seat Concepts seat for a start, maybe some bar risers, a decent bash plate (mine's Rally Raid Products), front sprocket cover with holes to let the crap out, a decent rear rack, pannier rails (the KTM and Touratech are pretty much identical, so probably all made by TT), soft panniers (I've got Enduristan Monsoons but the Magadans from Adv Spec are good) maybe a heavier rear shock spring. Mine has a steering damper but you can manage without. It's recommended you upgrade the upper a lower tank fixings to the stronger ones made by Rally Raid Products - yours may have that already. I'm sure I can think of more!

The bike is more capable then me. I will PM you the spec ti see if it prompts any ideas. Mark moon helped with some of the spec.

Yes Please Tim
Good weather would be great if you could organise that
Irish pipes at Dawn just weird
Geoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How could I refuse!

Toddy the Terrified reporting in for duty Sir! :D

I’ve still got it mate I chopped the gsa in and bought a ktm1290r love the Ktms I think I could ride it over there

Are you going again

I’ve still got it mate I chopped the gsa in and bought a ktm1290r love the Ktms I think I could ride it over there

Are you going against

Pleased to hear you like the 1290r, I was looking at one yesterday when I was picking up some service parts for my Husky. I do like the 701 though and must get a proper test ride on one sometime.

Hoping I can go again. When I put this year's trip on the family calendar my lovely wife translated it into "my useless twat of a husband is feckin off on his bike again and abandoning his wife and kids!!!" :eek::D. Will be interesting see how it its received for next year!

It’s a brilliant bike apart from tyre pressures everything else was untouched that day me and Tim where flying down that track it’s so easy to go fast, just need to get the technical bits right

Know what you mean about splitting yer time with hobbies and family not easy

I am also interested :) Ill be happy to do Iceland and wales,

How can i find out more?

Thank you,

John.

Back
Top Bottom