Thread: Want to buy a GS

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Want to buy a GS

I am very close to pulling the trigger on buying a R1200GS or GSA (or a Multistrada).

I have around £7500 to spend and I would like to get a twin cam or water cooled model with luggage and under 25k miles.

The bike will mostly be used for long distances 1 up and 2up.

• What other options / features should I look at as 'must-have'?
    • I have a 30" inseam - is it easy to retrofit a lower seat? (I sat on a 'regular seat' GS and GSA and was definitely a case of tippy toes). The lower seat version was comfier, but I don't want the seat height to define the bike I buy.

Also, I am still trying to work out what the 'market price' is for these bikes. I have looked online, but private prices are hard to gauge. It's a bit like Harley's.
    2000 R1150GS
    SE London

VIGILUM Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The standard GSA will be too tall imho (I'm 29 inseam)
    I had a GS with a low seat which was fine being a straight swap There are few factory lowered machines in various guises around and come up for sale from time to time
    As regards prices check ebay sold listings to give you an idea of where they're at
    Yesterday I dared to struggle Today I dared to win

Quote Originally Posted by bisbee View Post
    As regards prices check ebay sold listings to give you an idea of where they're at
    I have checked online, there is not much consistency for privately sold vehicles, hence my asking for advice. Also, sold listings only works on the auction style listings, not BiN or classifieds.
    2000 R1150GS
    SE London

Want to buy a GS

A mate of mine at 5’8” runs a 1200 GSA LC with seat on lowest setting without any problems.

As you can see he’s only a wee fella.

VIGILUM Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    I have checked online, there is not much consistency for privately sold vehicles, hence my asking for advice. Also, sold listings only works on the auction style listings, not BiN or classifieds.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...rt=nc&LH_BIN=1
    Yesterday I dared to struggle Today I dared to win

Thanks @bisbee, I shall peruse.
    2000 R1150GS
    SE London

Quote Originally Posted by Nin View Post
    A mate of mine at 5’8” runs a 1200 GSA LC with seat on lowest setting without any problems.

As you can see he’s only a wee fella.

I don’t think you’ll get a GSA LC for £7500, unless it’s been written off!

Standard a r1200gsa wc is lower than a r1200gsa twin cam , but with both a standard model gs seat fits straight on and lowers the seat height.

Your budget will not stretch to an early WC (luckily-unless it is a mega mile POS) but for that money you should get a nice twin cam with decent miles and some toys and if it turns out to be too high it is easy enough to stick a pair of secondhand standard gs shocks onto it to lower it even more

Personally I would go for the Twin Cam GS triple black on gumtree....lower and lighter than the GSA...all day comfortable and a great pillion tourer.

Other option if you buy a twin cam GS for seat height but want the extra fuel capacity or looks is convert it to take a gsa tank ( easily done and relatively cheap using s/hand parts as unlike the 1150's the plastic tanks last forever and rarely get dinked in a drop )

A few articles available on the net re this and I know a couple of members on here have done the same

As previous suggestions I would stick an extra £1500 on credit card or finance deal, for £9k you should get a decent Wc or with careful searching for the £7k an earlier Twin Cam, I would suggest a standard Gs but I had a GSA & fitted a Gs seat that makes it a lot lower. I’m not too tall but I have a 31 inside leg at a push.
    Fit some engine guards for when the inevitable happens, it’s happened to us all at some point I’m sure, one wrong foot down on a pot hole, oops !!!

Make a £6k offer, you never know .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192668958960

Quote Originally Posted by DING-DONG View Post
    Make a £6k offer, you never know .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192668958960
    How can he say it’s never been off-road if he’s only owned it since 2016

I have a TC GSA with a Touratech lower seat set on and its fine in fact even with a 30inch inside leg put it up a notch and can easily touch the ground with a flat foot