NAV 4 won't boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steadysteve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My nav 4 has just started playing up-- after switching it on the BMW Motorrad logo appears and the 'loading maps' text appears. After a couple of seconds it switches off completely.
This happens in the bike mount or car mount.
It was working perfectly last time out...
Any top tips on what might be wrong and how to fix it appreciated. Thanks.

I am wondering if the battery is up to snuff, although I realise the same thing happens in the bike/car mounts which would seem counter intuitive. What age is it, is the battery original (should have a pack assembly date sticker), has the battery been let go flat? My thinking is that the boot up will sap considerable power at start up, leaving the device no option but to shut down when it realises it hasn't got sufficient power to complete the command. The battery should be providing 3.7v - test it with a meter. Have you got a biker mate with a NavIV or 660 to borrow a battery from?

Other than that you could try to undertake a master reset if it will let you ........... https://support.garmin.com/en-GB/?faq=5pkqQBOE9L4qzpvROpQ1R8

Just my 2p worth. Some of these hard used NavIVs are probably getting near end of life TBH. Another poster on here, with memory card probs in his case, was offered a refurbished replacement by Garmin - c.£135 IIRC. Trouble is the tech has moved on a tad.

Thanks chaps will try those suggestions and report back.
Quite possible that it has gone completely flat at some stage. Will nick the battery out of my mates nav4 when he's not looking to eliminate or confirm the possibility of a duff battery.
Thanks.

Tried another battery-- no different. Tried plugging it into the laptop for an update but it kept going round in circles trying to boot up...
Could only find instructions online for a master reset for the Nav 5+6 so it went on eBay as 'spares or repair' and sold within 3 hours.

I've just bought a 15 plate bike which has a Navigator IV that does just that (you didn't use the bake as a part exchange in Norwich, did you?). I've fitted a new battery to no avail. Seems the sat nav is knackered. I'm wondering if I can fit a Navigator V to the bike...

Nav 5 fits the same mount at the Nav4/660.

Try plugging it in to your PC (with Garmin express and basecamp installed) and see if that jogs it. It has been known.

I contacted Garmin through their service page and reported the issue. A few email exchanges later they have offered to replace my current device with a refurbed item for £120. I've accepted that offer and i'm in the process of returning my current satnav.

As an aside, I have a brand new battery which I would be happy to sell for £30 plus P&P.

Cheers,
Steve

I contacted Garmin through their service page and reported the issue. A few email exchanges later they have offered to replace my current device with a refurbed item for £120. I've accepted that offer and i'm in the process of returning my current satnav.

As an aside, I have a brand new battery which I would be happy to sell for £30 plus P&P.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks Steve. I bought a nav5 instead. The 4 sold on ebay `spares or repair` for £95 iirc. Obviously somebody knows how to revive these things. I was more than happy to get £95 for it.

Not a bad return on the faulty unit (£95) for someone to take a chance on.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom