Which Nikwax?

EVskij

Hand-crafting clients' ideas in real time
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Need to waterproof my Rukka gear. Which Nikwax product to use and any tips are welcome. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techwash to clean it first.

TX.Direct to restore the DWR coating.

Tumble dry on low heat s per instructions on labels and bottles.

Simples...
Never tumbled mine,Just hung it on the line(during the heat wave).
Make sure the soap drawer is clean of detergent and fabric conditioner or the stuff won't work.

Techwash to clean it first.

TX.Direct to restore the DWR coating.

Tumble dry on low heat s per instructions on labels and bottles.

Simples...

If tumbledrying, then reflective dots come off from past experience even on low heat.

Ok there lies the problem. I’ve got three sets of this stuff and on Saturday it failed miserably. I’ve got absolutely soaked. Shoulders and upper chest, forearms and elbows, trouser department left me looking like I’ve pissed myself. It does say to cure it in the tumble drier but last time I’ve done this, my Navigator lost a few reflective dots. So In spring when I knew I wasn’t gonna need proshell suit for the summer, I’ve washed it as per instructions on the bottles and hung it to dry naturally. On Saturday it just stood no chance of any water repellency. Soaked it up like a sponge and got me wet instead.

Perhaps I am not doing it correctly.

Never tumbled mine,Just hung it on the line(during the heat wave).
Make sure the soap drawer is clean of detergent and fabric conditioner or the stuff won't work.

That’s what I’ve dine but it did not work with storm product.
Will give another go tonight (just a rince with waterproofer) and let it drip dry. Then in the morning I will chuck it in the tumble drier on low heat cycle.

That’s what I’ve dine but it did not work with storm product.
Will give another go tonight (just a rince with waterproofer) and let it drip dry. Then in the morning I will chuck it in the tumble drier on low heat cycle.

Never used the storm myself just NW,washed it with the wash(whod have thought?)then added the reproof stuff then on the line.
We live in a hard water area so I added extra as per instructions. Still had enough to do Mrs Bravo and mine tourshell suits.

Ok there lies the problem. I’ve got three sets of this stuff and on Saturday it failed miserably. I’ve got absolutely soaked. Shoulders and upper chest, forearms and elbows, trouser department left me looking like I’ve pissed myself. It does say to cure it in the tumble drier but last time I’ve done this, my Navigator lost a few reflective dots. So In spring when I knew I wasn’t gonna need proshell suit for the summer, I’ve washed it as per instructions on the bottles and hung it to dry naturally. On Saturday it just stood no chance of any water repellency. Soaked it up like a sponge and got me wet instead.

Are you saying Storm is what you used ? I use it in my Armas it’s brill

Tips? Don't do what I did.

I used some spray-on Nikwax product on the cordura shell of a jacket.

To enable all round access to the jacket I put in on a hanger, from the door frame between the kitchen and the laundry.

All went well, I gave it a good spraying, then I cleaned up and wiped the overspray from the tiled floor.

Holy cow....I think the proofing fluid has a high silicone content, or something because the tiled floor became absurdly slippery - far more slippery than ice - and it took a good couple of weeks to completely clean it off the tiles.

In the meantime it was absolutely lethal and I was cursed every time anyone went flying. :blast

Sent from my iPhone using Wankatalk

You may just have answered your own question :blast

Andres

What works for me.

I wash the gear in the machine with the cleaner then transfer it to the bath (hand hot). Dunk in waterproof solution, (put on latex glove otherwise hand is waterproofed) swirl the gear around to make sure it gets in everywhere, then leave to soak for 15/20 minutes.

Hang gear up and rinse off with shower head and then hang in hot press for two to three days to dry out. Transfer dry gear to kitchen table (one at a time and put old towels underneath ). Spray with nikwax waterproofer getting in to every nook and cranny and leave to soak in for a few minutes, wipe off excess and your all set.

This works on my Hein Gericke gear which is 10 years old and has never let me down and I commute in all weathers.

Hope this helps

Are you saying Storm is what you used ? I use it in my Armas it’s brill

Transpires, I should’ve read washing machine instructions and not follow instructions on the bottles. Our Miele Wahing machine has two programs. Outerwear (storm cleaner goes into detergent compartment) = wash only of goretex and the liked garments. The second program is called Proofing (proofreads goes into detergent compartment too) = proofing agent being washed in to the garment without ringing, just a final 1000rpm spin and garment left to drip dry, then goes in to Miele tumble drier and Proofing program selected once again.

Techwash , followed by TX Direct in the machine and then when the clothing is nearly dry hang it on the line on a clothes hangar and spray vulnerable areas with the TX Direct Spray ie shoulders, arms and front of jacket and knees/crotch area of trousers

Techwash.
I hand wash in the sink, then hang it on the washing line and hose it down to rinse, Then let it drip dry.
Dead simple.
Brilliant stuff - keeps my £130 Oxford Montreal jacket (not one for fancy labels) completely waterproof in the worst of French monsoon deluges.

Does anybody here actually follow the instructions on the bottles?

Every post seems to have a different way of doing it?

It must be a 'bloke thing', you know, never reading the instructions :D

Andres

If you don't have a tumble drier, you should iron the garments with a warm iron. (not hot or you'll melt it)

The heat re-activates the water resistant properties of the fabric.

Back
Top Bottom