Which Nikwax?

none of this stuff actually makes your jacket/trews waterproof - the liner or bonded membrane does that. Tech wash and all its variants adds water repellency to the outer of the garment to stop the fibres soaking up water. All the tech wash stuff is really needed for is to aid breathability by ensuring the outer surface is not wetted out such that water vapour cannot evaporate through it. In doing so it makes the jacket/trews much more comfortable to wear, warmer (as water is not evaporating and cooling) and quicker to dry. Just saying.

Does anybody here actually follow the instructions on the bottles?

Every post seems to have a different way of doing it?

It must be a 'bloke thing', you know, never reading the instructions :D

Andres

Just like “How should I check my oil?” there’s always someone with a better way.

Tips? Don't do what I did.

Holy cow....I think the proofing fluid has a high silicone content, or something because the tiled floor became absurdly slippery - far more slippery than ice - and it took a good couple of weeks to completely clean it off the tiles.

In the meantime it was absolutely lethal and I was cursed every time anyone went flying. :blast

Nearly had heart attack reading this....

.... Reminds me when hairspray had a similar effect

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Ok there lies the problem. I’ve got three sets of this stuff and on Saturday it failed miserably. I’ve got absolutely soaked. Shoulders and upper chest, forearms and elbows, trouser department left me looking like I’ve pissed myself. It does say to cure it in the tumble drier but last time I’ve done this, my Navigator lost a few reflective dots. So In spring when I knew I wasn’t gonna need proshell suit for the summer, I’ve washed it as per instructions on the bottles and hung it to dry naturally. On Saturday it just stood no chance of any water repellency. Soaked it up like a sponge and got me wet instead.

Perhaps I am not doing it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why put the SatNav in too?

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

You might notice a trend in my posts but if a motorcycle jacket has been washed in Persil (it takes the smell of homeless guy out of my jackets-ex smoker-christ i used to stink), can the water resistance be put back in if I use the relevent Nicwax type products?

Its the detergent residue that you want rid of so I’d have thought a good wash (or two) in pure soap or the relevant ‘tech’ wash would remove the detergent and then you’re good to re-proof.

Andres

Its the detergent residue that you want rid of so I’d have thought a good wash (or two) in pure soap or the relevant ‘tech’ wash would remove the detergent and then you’re good to re-proof.

Andres

Interesting. Thanks Andres.

Back
Top Bottom