HID has packed up

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got an 1150GSA '03 and noticed this morning that my HID dipped beam has stopped working.

Now I know itr worked yesterday as the bike had its MOT and I had to sit on the bike while the beam angle was checked for the test.

Any idea who sells these parts so I can get it replaced?

I've got an 1150GSA '03 and noticed this morning that my HID dipped beam has stopped working.

Now I know itr worked yesterday as the bike had its MOT and I had to sit on the bike while the beam angle was checked for the test.

Any idea who sells these parts so I can get it replaced?

Thats interesting, HID are now an MOT failure, regardless of beam angle. Beam angle is only relevant on LED replacements. HIDs are only legal now, if your bike was fitted with the bulb from new and has a headlight washing as standard.

Thats interesting, HID are now an MOT failure, regardless of beam angle. Beam angle is only relevant on LED replacements.

HIDs are only legal now, if your bike was fitted with the bulb from new and has a headlight washing as standard.

That's for cars only - bikes don't fall into this law (YET)

My MOT man is fine with passing bikes with HID, whilst he fails cars with them

To save any misunderstandings, these are the current MOT rules ............. https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...ors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.1

Be patient & read down to 4.1.4. It covers the HID issue concisely. If your bike was converted from halogen to HID, using the original reflector, then it's a fail. Now, quite how the tester can be sure of that can only be down to his/her assessment of the degree of light scatter as far as I can see, but I am perfectly prepared to be educated.

To save any misunderstandings, these are the current MOT rules ............. https://www.mot-testing.service.gov...ors-and-electrical-equipment.html#section_4.1

Be patient & read down to 4.1.4. It covers the HID issue concisely. If your bike was converted from halogen to HID, using the original reflector, then it's a fail. Now, quite how the tester can be sure of that can only be down to his/her assessment of the degree of light scatter as far as I can see, but I am perfectly prepared to be educated.

Put it this way, I went back to the garage this morning and spoke with the guy who did the MOT yesterday. He said it probably needs a new HID kit fitting, either I can do it or they will fit a new HID kit for me.

JohnnyBoxer is right as the traffic laws apply in the Divided Kingdom, but sadly here in Spain the ITV guy ( MOT ) will fail any HID headlamp. It's not homologated. Neither are DRLs. Both failures.

Unless the ITV inspector needs some clandestine folding loot surreptitiously pressed into his greasy hand for few drinks....

That's how all those smoking, belching trucks with loose number-plates and half-bald tyres that you see so many of on Spanish roads all have a valid ITV certificate.

And shreddy, you obviously have a very co-operative MOT guy - Spanish by any chance ?

Put it this way, I went back to the garage this morning and spoke with the guy who did the MOT yesterday. He said it probably needs a new HID kit fitting, either I can do it or they will fit a new HID kit for me.

Well my MOT tester told me it would fail, I had my bike MOT in Feb, so it was ok. The thing is, if you were riding at night with a HID on and someone got dazzled, you would actually be riding with an illegal light, MOT is only valid at the moment of test. I do have a HID low beam as well, so was considering converting back to a normal bulb.

The 1150 lens lends itself well to hid as it retains the correct light pattern. 1200s are a different matter as they scatter the light, hence older is better :green gri

Back
Top Bottom