MCN First Ride 1250

Interesting thanks. Sounds like I will wait until my bikes 2 years old and out of warranty before I invest

Funnily enough, I was chatting to mates about the 12GS Rallye I had out last week and saying that apart from more toys to play with, it didn’t actually get from A to B any better than my old ‘05 12GS did. It makes me wonder why so many folk change from GS to GS every two years or thereabouts....well, apart from pcp or warranty fears. ;)

Interesting !!
So all the talk on other threads about how nice the new bike looks was a bit of a red herring-BMW released pictures of the HP version with Africa Twin paint to hide the fact that the new 1250 is virtually identical to the outgoing bike, bar the new engine, lights and a few toys such as HHC.

Booked my test ride as soon as they come to my dealer and hope to get the Exclusive TE , i'm changing as I feel the new bike will be better than the old one , for me any way.
Im looking forward to the change as my warranty is out next month so the option of three years , a new engine and a few bits not on my 16 plate seems a good reason. I can see any other bike out there that can tick the boxes that suit me .
I just bought back my old Multistrada S from a friend and yes its good but .. still want the new bike as the BM as we know is so good.IMHO

Interesting !!
So all the talk on other threads about how nice the new bike looks was a bit of a red herring-BMW released pictures of the HP version with Africa Twin paint to hide the fact that the new 1250 is virtually identical to the outgoing bike, bar the new engine, lights and a few toys such as HHC.

Porsche do the same:nenau

Interesting !!

So it's exactly the same as the current bike, with a variable valve system you cant feel, unless wide open throttle.

Nah... I'm not losing £5k trade in for that.

What I don't understand, if the bikes are identical why the GSA version is delayed???

So it's exactly the same as the current bike, with a variable valve system you cant feel, unless wide open throttle.

What I don't understand, if the bikes are identical why the GSA version is delayed???

Maybe worth a test ride to decide for yourself rather than the words of journos , riding a bike yourself will make you decide whether its worth it or not.

A) The GSA has been released the year after the GS since the 1150; OR
B) So you buy the new GS then “upgrade” to the GSA once released

Maybe worth a test ride to decide for yourself rather than the words of journos , riding a bike yourself will make you decide whether its worth it or not.

True, but I'm sticking with mine.

Because I ride with RoSPA and IAM, I've already got more than enough power. Don't need any more at all.

Lose my licence otherwise...

Up to 100 mph in real world riding, it'll make no difference, unless your fully loaded with pillion.

Then it'll make a big difference.

Not quite. Sounds like there is more power and torque everywhere! Sounds great. And seamless power/torque is exactly what you want to make faster and smoother progress on the road. No one wants a big step change... remember the VTEC VFRs when they first came out?

MCN said:
Forget the all the tech for a moment, because from the comfort of its skyscraper-tall cockpit, all the ride-by-wire controlled ‘Shift Cam’ does is give you a GS with more low-down grunt than ever, with the softest throttle pick-up this side of a factory race bike.

As a result, it’s a joy to ride at normal speeds and the BMW has so much grunt, sixth is all you need, even powering out of slow, uphill hairpins. Yoga teachers struggle to be as flexible as the 1250’s motor. Ride like an angel and you’ll get an extra 4% better mpg, too.

Perfect power delivery

We spend hours in the saddle desperately trying to feel the Shift Cam working, but we can’t. There’s no step, jolt or hesitation when the inlet cam slides along the top of the engine (in just five milliseconds) to increase valve lift. All you feel is a flood of perfectly delivered power.

The BMW R1250GS engine in all its glory

That clever cam, featuring partial and high-lift cam lobes (operated by an electronic shift gate), staggered inlet valve opening (which creates swirl in the combustion chamber for a better burn) and a 3mm longer stroke, all add up to a motor with 14ftlb more torque, at 250rpm less than the 1200’s.

Power whenever you need it

There’s no fixed point in the revs where the inlet cam shifts. At anything below 5000rpm in top gear (around 80mph), for example, the motor can be running semi-skimmed or full fat cams - it all depends on how hard you open the throttle. But with the engine spinning faster you’ve got 136 shouty horses to play with (up from the 1200’s 123bhp) and enough poke to clutch-up easy third gear wheelies.

The bigger-bored motor (up from 101 to 102.5mm) may still not rival a 160bhp KTM 1290 Super Adventure in a Top Trumps shoot-out, but the BMW never leaves you feeling short-changed.

I've got a test ride lined up over the first weekend of Oct, looking forward to it. My GS Rallye is two years old in Feb,so will change to the new model if It rides as good as the Rallye. Keep your eye on the for sale section for a mint low mile Rallye

I would be looking for a GSA so think I will be waiting for my warranty to be up and the inevitable corrosion (maybe this time will be different!!!! Nahhh) before I change.
A question, is the Led front light different or the same as what you get on current TE/Rallye/tick every option bikes?

Back
Top Bottom