Gael warning in the Congo

Thanks Homer - as these are secondary plugs I believe they run off the main coil rather than could srxijs (one if which I replaced in Gambia anyway).

The Starting difficulty reappeared this morning as we sorted out the (unbelievable) paperwork for what was essentially a domestic Angola trip from Cabinda across the Congo river to Soyo.

Today was the day to find a pirogue to cross the Congo river and Jim has done great pics which I hope he will add. I managed a super video of the hair-raising loading process but can't load it I to this site, sadly.

Here is an appetizer as we rode into the beach to start the loading
IMG_2265.jpg

We had negotiated the price before they saw the size of the GS and there were lost of oohs and aahs when they saw what they had signed up for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Saturday evening our plan was to get a military plane to Luanda with the bikes. This would get us across the DRC and Congo river and deposit us 1/3 of the way down Angola. However late in the evening, we were informed by a reliable contact in Luanda that the Military planes could not be relied upon. Apparently some months ago a Swiss passenger took some pictures of the cargo on board and embarrassed the Military hierarchy. Since then our contact was not aware of a successful use of the Military plane by biking travellers. We reflected on this overnight and decided not to try the military plane but use the boats for the bikes to Soyo and the small civil plane for us to Soyo. We'll be reunited with the bikes there and ride south.

As it was Sunday and the customs were closed we could not travel till Monday. Sunday was a rest day, working on Simon's bike and catching up on laundry. We even managed to see some of the Spurs v Manchester United game, well done United. Oh, did I mention the hotel pool.
f6a3552ceca1b0152e936a8d8abed668.jpg
3d1bb25c1db9c3b83d0ba61978596e27.jpg
372535e9e2b2a64fe86e3f7d7abc4112.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So today Monday we went to the port and we're directed to the beach where we were told the police could approve our transportation of the bikes on the boat. Getting to the beach this proved not to be the case, and Simon had to return to the port with a guide to get the approval we need. The boats were being unloaded with the nights cargo.
98435762776f85909e31d84bcf114b6f.jpg

unloaded with the nights cargo.

When we arrived at the beach we met a fellow traveller Levi. Levi is heading north and managed to get on a boat with his bike and had just landed on the beach in Cabinda. He'd been on the open boat for about 36 hours he was exhausted but what an amazing journey. One I do not want to emulate. Simon was in touch with him before and during the boat ride. His bike is still on the boat, buried under cartons of eggs. This is what travelling across the Congo river can be like.
4955599531173c7547e78ffe94c8ce07.jpg

Simon returned from the port with documents approving the shipment of the bikes on the boats. The approval was complicated and expensive but we now had the papers. Things then moved swiftly. We were asked to bring the bikes down to the beach and we removed the remaining luggage. While I was doing this there were hands grabbing the bike, testing where it could be gripped or where was still hot. Once I finished the porters took control and the bike was lifted.
f43a219b7112094d42542ce3fd02af9d.jpg

The bike was carried towards the boat and there was no need for a ramp, as it was deposited directly on to the back of the boat. It seems they had done this before.
64f91423f3449da629fa72d66a067848.jpg

After the warm up act of the little 125 Suzuki, came the headlining act of the 250kg R1150GS. Strangely they didn't pick this up but wheel it through the sand to the boat and this time they used a ramp. The ramp was not as stable as we would have liked as the boat was still floating and could move sideways. Anyway the got it in the ramp and a few extra people around it.
0bcb8d3cfcb2c3fb015af457031d8466.jpg
1a10bf2361e1efd110c294beb3b8d742.jpg

Once they got the GS to the top of the loading ramp things stalled for a bit. This was because the ramp down into the boat did not line up with the loading ramp and the front wheel sat in mid-air. With some difficulty the ramp was repositioned and the front wheel placed on the down ramp. The next challenge was to lift the bike high enough so the new sump guard mounts Simon had brought with him were not ripped off. With Simons earnest encouragement the GS was lowered into the bowels of the ship without any obvious damage.
e2f943530e1c4d9a81684a9aed56f6e6.jpg
882978e39fffc451ca80e489be070faf.jpg
0180707f760784a27dd48d1faf499654.jpg

We then took a taxi to the airport and booked flights to Soyo for the morning. Later, we had a walk around the town and saw some of the densely populated areas of this strange city.
efe21b5461a380a43663e3d67ece4bea.jpg

Loving the updates & piccies gentlemen .. :thumb

More on our travels today later but a quick technical request from the banks of the River Congo please:

The GS has become very reluctant to start and now is running badly when I accelerate, slowing down and seeming to lack fuel (it has fuel in the tank).

Today we changed the ECU for a replacement and problem remains the same. The bike also has a new fuel pump and filter and new primary plugs. The fuel itself is fine as Jim filled from the same pump and runs OK.

So what should we checking or doing next? All help gratefully received!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pat:main plugs looked fine.

Jeremy: problem predates the boat and is not the throttle seating

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Pat:main plugs looked fine.

Jeremy: problem predates the boat and is not the throttle seating

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I would still replace all the plugs.
Compare the spark quality with each plug held against an earth.
Is it running bad on both sides? if you think it is one side only you could swap the coils and see if the problem moves.
If all looks well with the ignition It has to be fuel from tank to injectors.
I have never worked on a "classic" BMW:D
Once had a Hilux that ran badly, i tried everything in the end I took out each injector in turn and put it into a plastic bottle still connected to the fuel rail.
Once I got the the bad injector the engine ran smooth on 3 cylinders and I knew i had a dodgy injector.

Ok you need to eliminate stick coil or plug problem twin spark wil run on secondary plugs. Pull stick coil on one side first then the other is there any change in engine running. If no change do same with secondary plugs just removing plug caps.

Back
Top Bottom