Gael warning in the Congo

What an epic taxi ride Simon. I do wonder sometimes if travelling on public transport may be more interesting than on a bike. You really get close to the lives of the locals. However I'm sure I'll continue to use a bike.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Meanwhile I prepare to board the bus to Pointe Noire which I had reserved the previous night
45bfb2f6b7164ea8a6c56aec62c3eb9d.png

This was said to be a good bus company:
fc6521547b7e81c8e4af1908e0460a08.jpg

c7e6184d6446a8081c52a29c116836a7.jpg

My friendly travel buddy is named Exocet!
d12b289361a8c2360a11a23461546984.jpg

6b891702dc5ffbed2b3e4dc54342e7f7.jpg

The bus was relatively uncrowded although fully booked. And it played the same interminable gospel songs over and over!
7f5ef950f228c1efe58ee0a343e5b83e.jpg

The luggage unloading was a high point of each stop...one lady had a sack of tomatoes which were dripping juice everywhere!

After 6 hours I got to my incredibly luxurious (and expensive) hotel...but great to have hot water and WiFi so time for lots of laundry!

And then to await news about the from Muana when he gets to Malembene........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed for you Simon, it would be such a shame to leave the yellow peril after everywhere you have travelled on it. :thumb2

I asked the helpful reception guys (one a bike fanatic) what to do on a Sunday in Points Noire.

He looks blank so I divine there is little happening and I suggest the beach to which he nods.

So off I walk, a pleasant and interesting mile down Avenue General Charles de Gaulle.

On the way I find my spiritual home, the railway station. (If I can't ride on 2 wheels then I love trains)
3046a32c0f2c547b775fac3fbee920ef.jpg

Despite the elegant train station the line is virtually moribund with no passenger trains - although plenty of rolling stock
a3823588786955b1bb1a5ef4bb16f253.jpg

cf52080c6d98bc43cdf403f41fabb3dd.jpg

So I walk in down to the beach, on what is known as the Savage Coast
1072e453c12c73229d268074bbc7db73.jpg

Time for a true adventure biker lunch: flask of tea and a Nutella baguette on the beach
9041dae2208d6188b40ac825fe3d4834.jpg

Then I am lured into the Yes Club which despite the name is a Chinese beach restaurant. On the way in I am struck by this elegant couple, who are happy to be photographed
49179c329021dfd05ab9353674794679.jpg

a6a0ed52a2a69c6310e68ccae680c948.jpg

And then I enjoy Congo's answer to Guinness as I sit on the terrace and read my book
a6dadca06334d3898a182088b63c0ed9.jpg

British Stiff upper lip.... Simon,
Time will prevail and YOU WILL continue your journey to where ever it was you were going to end it..with the yellow one...
There are hundereds...No thousands of us willing you on....:beerjug:

Cheers Crumbles ...but please - we Gaels are NOT British! ☘️

Fingers crossed for you Simon, it would be such a shame to leave the yellow peril after everywhere you have travelled on it. :thumb2

+1

:thumb

As the other Gael who accompanied Simon on the Sahara section of the trip, I think the point he is making is we are not British. We come from a country without a colonial history. Which can be helpful in crossing some African borders.

Thanks all for the primer on ethnic and constitutional history, the erudition of the Tosserati never ceases to amaze me .

Latest news is the GS has arrived in Dolisie last night on a big lorry, shepherded there from Malembe by M. Mwana's 2 apprentices. It's now in the workshop being looked at and I hope to have more news later this morning🤞🏼. I am in Pointe Noire so reliant on the phone at present.

Thanks all for the primer on ethnic and constitutional history, the bollox talked by the Tosserati never ceases to amaze me .

Latest news is the GS has arrived in Dolisie last night on a big lorry, shepherded there from Malembe by M. Mwana's 2 apprentices. It's now in the workshop being looked at and I hope to have more news later this morning����. I am in Pointe Noire so reliant on the phone at present.

Corrected for the less diplomatic such as myself!

Good news Simon. Hoping for even better. :thumb

Latest news is the GS has arrived in Dolisie last night on a big lorry, shepherded there from Malembe by M. Mwana's 2 apprentices. It's now in the workshop being looked at and I hope to have more news later this morning🤞🏼.

Jaysis, I go away for a couple of days & come back to find you've killed the poor elevenfiddy :(
Fingers crossed for a speedy repair cos we need our African fix...

Hi Simon, really hope you can get the bike sorted enough to continue your trip.....good luck, mate. :thumb

Thanks Barak!

And Jockser, if you go and take the weekend off from being my guardian angel, what do you expect?

So faute dear mieux I did some tourism this morning which is quite an achievement as there is virtually nothing to see here.

(Last evening every screen in bars and hotels had this (LFC-MC)
ba431f65cf354dc01b1df597f8b17d60.jpg

St Peter's cathedral gets high ratings but when I got here it was not even worth a photo! So I detoured to the city markets which was far more interesting
abcd99a238b16916d58db4a060a6ca51.jpg

And bought some palm nuts as the price of photo of them (and gave them to the taxi driver as a gift)
dcd311610e1c987b18087bd032ce9ebf.jpg

When I got back I called Mwana and he reports that they have got the bike started. If I understood correctly, it Seems there was no power to the fuel pump from the control unit and they opened it and found a detached wire. They acquired a replacement BMW part from a car (?) and have got the unit working. No doubt this was become clearer to me when I am in the door and he cab show me, but the bottom line is he thinks the bike is good to go.

So I am going to try to book a place today on a bus to Dolisie tomorrow....and that will allow me to give the bike a good ride around and test I am happy with it.

A qualified

Sounds good Simon. I'm
reassured he has found something definite on the electrical system. This could have been an intermittent connection for some time. You are wise to test it well. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom