Gael warning in the Congo

Now returned to Hampshire intact, courtesy Ethiopian airlines, despite a crude attempt at a shakedown by the venal police and customs officials at Pointe Noire airport*♀️ - which I successfully resisted, unlike the next guy through, an Angolan from Cabinds, off whom they extorted$50...no mean amount.

And tomorrow morning I shall ride up the A3 to consult with St. Eptoe of this parish, before kicking off a shopping list on eBay of replacement parts (should be fun getting those through the PNR airport mafia when I return)

47efd0f018db547bb8b5097592a52406.png

Plus an ECU of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be good if you could get an "invoice" from a handy GS garage man for all the spares you take back with you with rather low values against them, just in case M. Customs decides to charge import duty.

I find the GS guru in fine form, on a sunny autumn day
6b475ebef2ce00f7da05f76b4195a48c.jpg

We talk about travel, and what might possibly need replacing on my GS. The one he is working on today has 100,000 miles on the clock
caa31fe675447c9591358e29a786c0f4.jpg

He gives me a quick tutorial on fuel pumps and the importance of the U bend
c8f4fe4f72788d369c3b1fa5ed9e01b2.jpg

The conclusion is that it's worth bringing a replacement ECU as well as the fuel pump; and also worth carrying a replacement Hall sensor as mine has had a long and hot life already and Neil reckons they should be replaced every 10 years.

He has rarely seen a failed ECU so who knows what prompted that to happen.

So a useful recce and now off to the online shops for me*♂️

Welcome back Simon. But don't stay too long, am dying to read the continuation :rob
In the meantime best wishes to your favourite pillion for a speed recovery from her impending op :beerjug:
Or should she be getting the same medication as you :beer:

Welcome back, Simon. I also would like to wish all the best to your long suffering wife....:D Hope her op goes well with a full recovery. :beerjug:

Phil

Interesting ride reports, just read all 3 over the last couple of days. Will be watching out for the next adventure.

Thanks all. Am collecting the necessary parts and looking forward to resuming in early January

Thanks all. Am collecting the necessary parts and looking forward to resuming in early January

We eagerly await the next part of your trip write ups & piccies..

PS
I hope Mrs D's operation goes smoothly, she heals well & quickly..

Simon, I am all caught up on your thread now too! Great to read about your adventures and well done keeping your chin up and being open-minded in foreign territory. It makes for great reading and hopefully great memories for you, even if it may be a challenge at the time.

I could imagine myself in similar conditions getting quite flustered about having to be separated from my beloved (bike not wife)!

Thanks Dave...and for readers who are looking to fill the gap until I resume my journey, you can follow Dave on his 990 through Africa on Advrider.com I believe.

So I am off again tomorrow to Congo Brazzaville to pick up the r1150GS, fit a few parts and resume the journey - first obstacle after starting the bike will be to get across the Congo River
IMG_2078.jpg

First thing is to get packed and shrink this
IMG_2077.jpg
to this
IMG_2079.jpg.

Then down the barbers to remove the excess winter foliage
IMG_2081.jpg

The barber was a Kurdish lad from Gaziantep so we had a good chat about Turkey and Kurdistan.

Finally a good stretch to get into the groove
IMG_1966.jpg.

On this leg I hope to have the honour of the company of Drumacoon Lad of this parish. Some will recall (from the ride report 'Gael Warnings in West Africa') he and I started this trip together before a Mauritanian bug stopped him in his tracks.

He is planning to buy a small local bike in Pointe Noire, Republic of Congo...no doubt he will be along shortly to share his plans and thoughts

Good luck Simon and take care :thumb2 look forward to your updates :beerjug:

All the best for the next bit, lots of variety and unknown, play it by ear and enjoy!

Here we go, here we go, here we go....
Perfect timing, some nice sunny pictures for the long winter evenings
:beerjug:

Have a great time Simon, ride safe & keep us posted :thumb

Looking forward to the next leg. Heading through one of my favourite countries, Namibia. Been many times in a 4x4 but not on a bike, yet! Enjoy and ride safe Simon.

Really looking forward to updates & piccies.. :cool:

Have a great time.. :)

And travel safe Simon.. :beerjug:

Safe trip, Simon... looking forward to reading about the rest of your adventure! :beerjug:

Great stuff Simon, been looking forward to this.
Best of luck.

b13d6dbc8ce4d69440e0929ade3b7428.jpg

Sunday evening bracer on the beach at Pointe Noire before a day of motorbike fettling (me, I hope) and motorcycle purchasing (Jim).

There's been a lot of rain here today

Back
Top Bottom