02 R1100 Gastank 'Door' ?

runninn

Reaction score
Does the fuel tank have a 'door' on top that hinges open?
It has a 'clip' at the front of the tank and appears to open somehow?
*New owner of this one with no manual (I have a GS1100 too).
Excuse the ignorance
thanks

GS? the 1100GS and 1150GS have the same tank (bar the plastic ones on early 1100) and none of those factory tanks have a hatch.

aftermarket, larger capacity tank perhaps?

a pic would help...

** edit ** only 2002 1100 is the 1100S - and in that case, not a clue!!

Do you mean the little flap that covers the key hole?
2001 1150GS and 2001 1100S have the same filler arrangement.

Yes, pictures of what you have would be most helpful, or get on to the microfiche pqges on MaxBMW and checkout there what you should have

I think he may be talking about an R1100S perhaps:nenau

Cheers.................Grizzly:beerjug:

This is my 1100S

first 3 pictures should be self explantatory

20180927_071316-M.jpg

20180927_071321-M.jpg

20180927_071331-M.jpg

If you are talking about the little plastic latch / ever at the front of the tank, that is a latch helps to hold the two plastic side fairings together. It is quite fragile i think and touch it with care!

20180927_071345-M.jpg

I suggest you get on to Boxertrix, a UK forum for the 1100S and 1200S
very helpful, but do remember that a great amount of the 1100 and 1150 series are interchangeable

There are also two pretty good facebook pages, 110s lovers page and bmw r1100s (or names similar to that)

Ah, yes - the 1100S; BMW's first street sports bike. I had 2 of 'em; one with ABs & one without.
Great machine - my Rocksters are much the same vehicle with the wider back wheel, polished ports, better pistons, twin-spark, etc.
Love 'em.
BMW_R1100_S_-_Alan_in_2003.jpg

That's my bike (mine's silver)....thanks

Those bikes have a super tall first gear and are a pain in traffic!
Love it anyways.

The GS1100 has a much more manageable first gear for traffic & off road.

Spot 0n re the 'S' and Rockster models' gear ratios, runninn1. But swapping-out the box for a GS one isn't financially viable.

As to the fuel-tank aperture issue, the third foto down in Hay-Ewe's pics above, reveals the recess from where ingress of rainwater is supposed to drain away down one of the long soft-rubber tubes that snake downwards from under the tank.

But it often doesn't because the drain hole in the lid assembly gets blocked.

At my local bike-engineer's workshop, there's still a memorial splodge of black gunge welded into the plasterwork where the blockage in Mo's GSA tank-lid recess finally gave way under the 10 bar pressure of a heavy-duty compressed-air line and shot out horizontally at the speed of light. Lord help anybody who might have been in the way.... A swine of a job to clear.

Last edited:
sykospain can you tell me about why you have the handlebar mirrors?
got a set of blanking plates for my fairing mounts
do you get a better view
cheers

To answer your question, jbox, yes, I removed the fairing mirrors on both my consecutive "S" models because I find it more convenient when joining a major road at an angle, to be able to twist the bars slightly to see the view back up the road whilst looking for oncoming traffic on the main road.

With the OEM fairing mounted mirrors, your view backwards is dependent on whichever angle the whole bike is pointing, whereas mounting traditional bar mirrors gives you more opptions. And 2nd hand OEM BMW ones are quite cheap.

Lazy, I know, instead of twisting my head round as in a 'life-saver' glance, but it was just my personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom