Tiger 1050 vs Tiger 800 vs R1200GS

magik

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there
Has anyone been riding on all 3 bikes? I've had a few GSs in my life and was thinking about getting something more road orientated(1050) and a bit more powerful(1050). I'm also considering Tiger 800. Will probably get another GS at some point but for now I fancy a change(I think:blast:rob). Any advise will be much appreciated.

Have had a r1200gsa tc and two r1200gsa wc's , and ridden a couple of sorted Tiger 1050's (one with Maxtons suspension and the other with Nitron ) but until today not had much to do with the Tiger 800's until my brother in law bought one .

Just on a short test ride I would say it will easily run rings around a gs/gsa on the road and is nicer to ride than the Tiger 1050 sport , the finish on his 2011 bike is excellent and streets ahead of the bmw's and having looked in the past to downsize from a r1200gsa to a f800gsa I would say that if I decided to downsize it would defintely be to a Triumph Tiger 800

Thanks Neil!
I've found this on the advrider forum
"I sold my 1200GS and then bought a Tiger. I'm 6'3" & 110kgs . Stock suspension & screen were terrible. So...I've had both front & rear suspension modified to suit my weight and style of riding and fitted a Madstad screen. Bike was completely transformed. The engine is fantastic! Lots of low end torque. Pulls like a train and has bags of character. Perfect sports tourer. I wouldn't go back to a GS now...and I've done countless thousands of miles on them starting with the 1100 then the 1150 & finally the 1200 SE . I've toured all over Europe on them more lately, with MikeO of this parish. (See his ride reports). The OEM panniers are quite heavy with little capacity, so have fitted Trax panniers with the S W Motech quick release carriers. My advice is to take one out for a test ride. The new Tiger Sport is getting good reviews but haven't ridden one yet."

I was really tempted to buy the 1050 but still considering the 800, now even a bit more.

Garfield to the Bat Phone...

Thanks.....:thumb

I took three Triumphs out a few days back (in Edinburgh). Rapid fire test riding (one after the other with very little breaks)

1050 Tiger; felt 'softer' than my Speed Triple. Nice bike, decent all rounder and I think it looks great. Little bit uninspiring but I think a great step up bike for someone on < 600cc. Certainly looks like a decent tourer as well.

800xrt; absolutely brilliant. Really loved it, had a lot of fun. You're constantly working the engine which is pretty chatty. As I drove back into the dealership it was the bike I was going to buy

After 5 minutes of hyperactive analysis looking at them side by side, I settled for the 1200xrt....:blast I had a great test ride on it though. Really excellent bit of machinery. I think I've reached the conclusion that we live in an age of very few bad bikes. It's merely a bit of effort to find the one that works for you.

Thanks.....:thumb

I took three Triumphs out a few days back (in Edinburgh). Rapid fire test riding (one after the other with very little breaks)

1050 Tiger; felt 'softer' than my Speed Triple. Nice bike, decent all rounder and I think it looks great. Little bit uninspiring but I think a great step up bike for someone on < 600cc. Certainly looks like a decent tourer as well.

800xrt; absolutely brilliant. Really loved it, had a lot of fun. You're constantly working the engine which is pretty chatty. As I drove back into the dealership it was the bike I was going to buy

After 5 minutes of hyperactive analysis looking at them side by side, I settled for the 1200xrt....:blast I had a great test ride on it though. Really excellent bit of machinery. I think I've reached the conclusion that we live in an age of very few bad bikes. It's merely a bit of effort to find the one that works for you.

Thanks Garfield and Adventuredon!

What did you choose then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think I will stick to the 1050 as it seems to be a bit sportier than the 800xc and I really like the look of this bike.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom