May have to invest in cylinder covers also...

Cymru-Dave

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just passing time and came across this review (I look at any vid where the GS is on dirt), when I put crash bars on my bike I was told not to bother with cylinder covers also... seeing this vid at 4:45secs has made me rethink as I plan on taking mine off road. Cant be cheap to fix!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vs4eJURvM8U

Definately get cylinder head covers... you'll regret it otherwise.

Also consider off road bending mirrors, barkbuster hand guards, a decent skid plate, headlight cover and side stand foot extender

ive got the endure skid plate, bark buster handguards and headlight cover so m ost of the way there, hoping these anakee 3's will wear through soon so I can get some knobblies on it... but I will now be getting the cylinder covers!

I’ve got Machineart head covers on mine along with OEM crash bars. Mine went down the road with only the bars on and it literally ground the cover away and wrecked the head. Toying with idea of putting metal covers on too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The machineart covers are very tough. You’d have to go some to get through those in a drop/ slide.

I have some machine art x heads, and touratech upper crash bars up to 2017,
Just stripped my gs farkles off , sent you a pm,

On the ORS 1200 some years ago, I holed the cylinder head cover.
One of the trainers went back to the van, brought back an old one repaired with plastic metal, replaced it and on we went.
A common enough occurrence it would appear........or maybe they said that so I wouldn't feel bad. :D

Next time that you are on YouTube look up:
2018 Big bore adventure touring shootout part 1
You’ll see that the Africa Twin can hole an engine casing just as easy

I have bought the machineart covers but not to put on additionally, rather, instead of. The bars are going; they are attached to the chassis and if you have a spill the potential is there to bend the chassis which is a FAR more expensive problem.

The machineart covers look very tough and they slide which is a double edged sword depending on the spill.

I think it will look better without the bars also. Mine's a 2017/18 TE.

I have bought the machineart covers but not to put on additionally, rather, instead of. The bars are going; they are attached to the chassis and if you have a spill the potential is there to bend the chassis which is a FAR more expensive problem.

The machineart covers look very tough and they slide which is a double edged sword depending on the spill.

I think it will look better without the bars also. Mine's a 2017/18 TE.

Pretty sure 3 of the 4 points of contact are on engine block. Bars saved mine from being a write off, however they alone aren’t the answer to preventing head damage.

I have a set of Machine Art head protectors that are soon to be advertised for sale. Took them off my 2016 bike last weekend befor PX. Left hand side has a few scrapes on the lower part from contact with garden wall, but only really noticble if you look closely and add a bit of character. All fixings included. £65 posted to anywhere in UK.

I have a set of Machine Art head protectors that are soon to be advertised for sale. Took them off my 2016 bike last weekend befor PX. Left hand side has a few scrapes on the lower part from contact with garden wall, but only really noticble if you look closely and add a bit of character. All fixings included. £65 posted to anywhere in UK.

Bargain.

Next time that you are on YouTube look up:
2018 Big bore adventure touring shootout part 1
You’ll see that the Africa Twin can hole an engine casing just as easy

Just got through these (part one and part two), that Africa twin did hole easy, and that looked to be soft terrain also! seems a worthwhile purchase to me!

Arsey:

Ha! But you have yet to keep up with me in your Green Gobbler. Anytime you want to have a wager between Oviñana and Luarca on the N632, you know where to find me. :D I'll let you buy me my second coffee.....because by the time you get there I will have finished the first.:pullface

Dazcall:

Mine have 3 points of anchor; one is, indeed, solely anchored to the engine, the other two are anchored to both and in such a way that an extreme force would pull the chassis bars clean off and bend them, not to mention damaging the engine casing as it rips the screws out of their sockets or breaks the sockets themselves.

Whilst there may be an argument for the bars reducing the impact on the cylinders and damaging a fin or two, I find it hard to believe that they would do very much if the impact had been strong enough to rip a cylinder off. It's arguable whether the damage to an engine solely or an engine and a chassis makes any difference, I guess, and probably, therefore, academic. However, as you know, sometimes it isn't always the level of force but rather where that force is applied that can make all the difference. A relatively minor spill, impacting at the wrong angle can potentially do much more damage. Anchoring the bars to the chassis is potentially life shortening for the bike.

In any case, there is an argument to keep both, I suppose, because the covers will reduce any movement on the bars and therefore bending action on the anchor points. I shall see if they both fit.

Arsey:

Ha! But you have yet to keep up with me in your Green Gobbler. Anytime you want to have a wager between Oviñana and Luarca on the N632, you know where to find me. :D I'll let you buy me my second coffee.....because by the time you get there I will have finished the first.:pullface

Ooh, he won’t like that! :D

Back
Top Bottom