‘Narrow’ alu panniers for a 1150 GS?

gabriel_gs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I may be coming back to an 1150GS (veeeeery long story) and having had another bike recently with top-loading panniers, I prefer them to a big topbox

But it’ll be an everyday hack, so I want something narrower than the usual car-width panniers.

I like the look of the SW Motec Trax panniers, but they look way too wide

I’ve Googled but come up short...

Anyone know of decent looking alu, top-loading panniers that are not as wide as the usual suspects?

Jesse panniers are available in 8" or 10" wide ISTR; absolute dogs danglies, if you can't locate some Verns then Jesse are the nest best thing.

Try a wanted ad 'cos someone has a set for sale but they're advertised in his signature line and not in the For Sale section.

I think Givi make top loading narrow Ali cases. But not sure they have frames to fit the bike.

:nenau
Ian

Hmm.. thanks for the suggestion, but I’m just not keen on the look of the Jesse ones.

I really prefer the desing of the Trax, so somethign along those lines i really what I’m after.

I’ll check out GIVI

Looks like the Kappa K-Venture panniers will fit... though not especially ‘narrow’

Anyone got any experience of them?

Yep, the Xplorers look good!

Also found these on eBay - postage is huge, but even still they work out cheap - just need to fab up some bracketry

Only 21cm wide

Vern Worldbeater panniers

DSCN1863_1.jpg

_O3E9487.jpg

_O3E9482.jpg

Can't beat the Vern Worldbeater panniers. Mine are close to 50 liters each, so with the 100 liters of luggage space the bike is less than a meter wide. I've never seen anything slimmer per that kind of space. They are custom made so you can always order smaller ones even narrower.

DSCN1890.jpg

Exhaust cutout nicely done. Narrow and neat.

Been riding over 250 000 with them, LOTS of crashes and zero problems. The frames are stellar - they are bent on critical angles in the fixing points, they are super-close to the bike and hence no weak welded spots like on most frames that are welded (weld=always-a-weak-spot, don't ask me how I know)

DSCN1888.jpg

The boxes themselves are the only hand-made aluminium ones I know that's been through the proper wind-tunnel tests and also designed nicely if if you go down, the outer forward corner will slide instead create a falcon point like on most panniers. This will distribute forces better and makes it a much safer (and in fact more aerodynamic) pannier. Strong as feck as well (don't ask me how I know)

IMG_8106_s.jpg

Can't go wrong with the Worldbeaters.

Just me 2c.

Looks like he's gone out of business?

The website no longer works (www.projectvnd.com)

Thanks for the input all.

Still got to sell my bike yet, but lots of options to explore.

Looks like he's gone out of business?

The website no longer works (www.projectvnd.com)

Thanks for the input all.

Still got to sell my bike yet, but lots of options to explore.

I have a pair of Verns. They are great, and come up for sale on here every so often. Mine were second hand and are as good as new.

These would be my recommendation unless you wanted something really slim.

I sold my verns last week, and I know I will regret it, but I needed the money to fund my crippling addiction.

Have a look at Metal Mule kit, I have a pair of panniers which came attached to my KTM690 Enduro and they also fit onto the TT pannier frames on my 1150 GSA..absolutely solid made and only 21cm wide.

I don't have a photo at the moment, but i've got the Givi Trekker Dolomiti 36L panniers. They do make a rack for the 1150 however I needed to fettle (bore out) one of the mounting holes on each side by a mm or 2 to make it fit.

You need to make sure you have the correct rack as there are now a number of fixing arrangements. The code is PL189.

The mounting is asymmetrical, so sit further out on one side due to the exhaust. I've fitted a stubby and am going to use the space to mount some tools/fuel can. I haven't notice this as an issue when filtering etc and i think the LHS is still no further out than the cylinder head.

Yeah, they're the ones I like the look of the best

Eventually I'll take the left-hand rack to a local fabricator and have him fettle with it to make it the mirror of the right, as I'll be fitting a stubby too

Just got to sell my Harley and buy a GS now :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom