Final drive play

lewisjohn

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
How much play is allowed on a monolever final drive.If I put a DTI on the rim I’m getting around 15 to 20 thou movement when I grab the wheel top and bottom.

20 thou= .5mm or so is fine. The key question, is that when its up to operating temp or cold? - my G/S has a touch more than that cold, but none at all when warm - which is perfect as far as im concerned. its been the same for about 50k miles.

Also turn the wheel and measure it in a few places - it usually varies.

20 thou= .5mm or so is fine. The key question, is that when its up to operating temp or cold? - my G/S has a touch more than that cold, but none at all when warm - which is perfect as far as im concerned. its been the same for about 50k miles.

Also turn the wheel and measure it in a few places - it usually varies.

That measurement is cold,it’s pretty consistent wherever I try it, I’ll try it warm after my next ride.

There were two types of bearings used in the final drives.
Most G/Ss would have the type with a needle roller on the shaft side and should have a couple of thou clearance at the bearing and a little shake on the wheel, and 20 thou is fine.
Mine has, and it hasn't changed much in 200,000 km.
The other type has a taper roller which should be preloaded 2/4 thou so virtually no movement at the rim.
So don't worry for now, but keep a check on it to see if it gets any worse.

Cheers guys, always great to tap into the wealth of information in this section.

Back
Top Bottom