Fork re-valve & fettle.

mspenz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm keen to get some work done to the forks on my 14' KTM690 Enduro R before I start throwing it at some decent dirt. In standard trim they are 'adequate' for simple stuff but I want to add weight and cover some distance on trails and know that they will struggle, can get an uprated rear spring for the rear myself but I'd rather leave the forks to someone who actually knows what they are doing :D
Thinking about a re-valve and progressive springs to start with as I don't have budget to either replace them or fit the R/R upgrade kit ( maybe not compatible with 2014 though ).

Contacted Dr Shox but the guy I spoke with was really vague and uninterested sounding and couldn't give me an approximate turn around time so I'm keen to know if there's anyone else to recommend who can do this ?

Mike.

FTR suspension are brilliant and shoukd give you exactly what you're after.

Personally the last thing I wanted on a 690 was a stronger rear spring :0 i struggled get the rear on mine to be compliant, even had a Tractive shock on it.

Probably best to work out exactly what you want from the suspension compared to how you feel it is now.

FTR suspension are brilliant and shoukd give you exactly what you're after.

Personally the last thing I wanted on a 690 was a stronger rear spring :0 i struggled get the rear on mine to be compliant, even had a Tractive shock on it.

Probably best to work out exactly what you want from the suspension compared to how you feel it is now.

Lovely stuff, thanks. Interesting about the Tractive shock on the rear. The 14' has 250mm travel all round which is probably perfectly adequate for what I need now ( except that the forks feel 'wooden' even at only 3.5k miles ) but if I eventually decide to go 300mm everything will have to change..so maybe I just need to work on the forks at the moment.

Nice bikes though and every time I ride it I do this :D

Just wish that I had the resources ( and bollocks ) to do the carb upgrade as well :blast

Lovely stuff, thanks. Interesting about the Tractive shock on the rear. The 14' has 250mm travel all round which is probably perfectly adequate for what I need now ( except that the forks feel 'wooden' even at only 3.5k miles ) but if I eventually decide to go 300mm everything will have to change..so maybe I just need to work on the forks at the moment.

Nice bikes though and every time I ride it I do this :D

I would start by changing the fork oil and of course checking the air gap.

Back off all adjustments right off and go for a ride that will really test it, keep adding a couple of clicks of rebound until it feels right and steers well ie until you have confidence in the front.
Put a cable tie around one fork leg and find the biggest hit you're likely to encounter and see how much travel you're using.

Before this you really be setting your sag for front and rear of course.

There's a part of me that would really have loved to keep my 690 and fit a carb but atvtgw time I wasnt quite clear on what to do.
You need to ask Loz on here about that.

I would start by changing the fork oil and of course checking the air gap.

Back off all adjustments right off and go for a ride that will really test it, keep adding a couple of clicks of rebound until it feels right and steers well ie until you have confidence in the front.
Put a cable tie around one fork leg and find the biggest hit you're likely to encounter and see how much travel you're using.

Before this you really be setting your sag for front and rear of course.

There's a part of me that would really have loved to keep my 690 and fit a carb but atvtgw time I wasnt quite clear on what to do.
You need to ask Loz on here about that.

Good information there and definitely the cheap and simple option to start with, I might even find that with an oil change/weight change and a decent spring they'll be fine for what I need at the moment.
IF I decide to keep it long term I'll seriously think about doing the carb...

Be interested to see what you do with them,I’ve just bought a set for a mono project I’m going to build,
Wouldn’t have been my first choice but the price was right,and they will be more than good enough for the bike

There might be a simple and cheap solution but only for the 2014 forks...flip the base valve on the Left Leg Only to allow more flow ! Also an option to flip the rebound base valve on the right leg as well but start with the left and feel it from there...send them to the experts for a professional re-valve but if this works enough to remove the harsh feel..and it's free :D

I'll have a go when I get some spare time and stop going camping in the rain every weekend :blast

https://advrider.com/f/threads/ktm-690e-all-things-suspension-related.422445/page-10

Best thing to do with 690 forks is bin them and get a ktm 525 300mm set resprung to your weight. Best handling mod you will do on a 690

A good idea but out of my budget I'm afraid as I'd also have to change the shock to match the extra travel. I'm not going to be flying over bumps and taking big landings, I just want something more manageable and predictable for loaded travel over rough.

Even a mod like I mentioned or a suitable upgrade like these would probably do the trick for what I need

http://www.ridejbi.com/jbi-suspension-pro-valve-ktm-690-enduro-r/

You could also try increasing your air gap by say 30mm, try it, you can always add measured amounts through a syringe thought the air vent screw hole.

I have had the forks on my 2012 690 totally rebuilt by FTR suspension c/w Ohlin cartridges these are set up fully in line with my requirements It does purely depend what you are after eg riding etc..
After many an hour of exhaustive reading and trying to gather some enthusiasm to do a DIY rebuild I came up with my solution and went to an expert company.
For me what ever cheaper option you are going to try it always costs money, Money that 9 times out of 10 your going to have a level of disappointment with the out come. Fork suspension especially on a 690 seems to be a aftermarket mine field.
My advice is save your time and money and go to an expert who knows everything there is to know about progressive compression stuff.

Geoff

Yes, Geoff and Craig have the best advise I think. :)

Fair enough, sounds like I'll be getting in touch with FTR at some point but meantime I'll change the oil and play around with the air gap as suggested by Tim...will give me time to save for an early Christmas present to myself :D

You could also try increasing your air gap by say 30mm, try it, you can always add measured amounts through a syringe thought the air vent screw hole.

Checked the air gap and changed the oil today, from factory the pre-load leg had been set to 120 mm air gap and the rebound was 115 mm gap ! Nobody had previously been into the forks and I made sure that there were no air pockets left by using the Slavens method :rolleyes:
Now set at 140 mm gap which is the largest recommended by WP and with fresh 5w Rockoil there's already a noticeable difference, still slightly harsh but definitely better than original.
Went down some well holed rough tracks today and it was more manageable and not pogoing around like before so I'm much happier now and will wait until the snow arrives before sending them to FTR for a proper job :thumb2

I have had the forks on my 2012 690 totally rebuilt by FTR suspension c/w Ohlin cartridges these are set up fully in line with my requirements It does purely depend what you are after eg riding etc..
After many an hour of exhaustive reading and trying to gather some enthusiasm to do a DIY rebuild I came up with my solution and went to an expert company.
For me what ever cheaper option you are going to try it always costs money, Money that 9 times out of 10 your going to have a level of disappointment with the out come. Fork suspension especially on a 690 seems to be a aftermarket mine field.
My advice is save your time and money and go to an expert who knows everything there is to know about progressive compression stuff.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, are you willing to give an approximate figure for your fork rebuild, just so I have an idea of what my options are ? Was thinking of going for a re-valve only but depending on the cost of the Ohlins cartridges..

Mike.

I'm much happier now and will wait until the snow arrives before sending them to FTR for a proper job :thumb2

Hope the snow holds off and gives you time to save up for the Ohlin's cartridges like Geoff suggested :D

Back
Top Bottom