Help please in Cameroon:1150GS non starter

simondippenhall

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Bike was starting OK on my return, with a recent Varta battery. Did a couple of kms and then took an hour's break. On return it cranked but wouldn't fire, or show any sign of stuttering to life. With a booster it was tickled back to life but now won't start.

Have read the HES related threads here and will try the related tests to the extent I can.

But immediate question: the fuel gauge (the bars) is not operating at all and there is a low fuel warning light.
Does that give any clue?

Thanks for any help, there is no BMW garage within 2 or 3 countries here!😢

Open the fuel cap, can you hear the fuel pump run for a short burst when you turn the ignition on ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should add:

The fuel tank is full of petrol.

There has been heavy rain and I wonder if any water got into the fuel tank (it sometimes pools on the filler rim).

Thanks again!

Simon

Buckingham

Headed over to where the bike is garaged so will try when I get there 10ish

Cheers

Simu

Simon, my mate rode through there last year. I seem to remember he still has contacts there. I've messaged him. If I have anything useful I'll message you. Luke

Buckingham

North West a bit unstable and the Presidential election next Sunday may raise the temperature but all calm at present here in Yaoundé..

The bike started ok today and I have done about 20 miles without problems restarting so if all good tomorrow morning I shall head off South and cross my fingers

So the bike has run, restarted over 180 kms today. That's good news.

The fuel gauge bars aren't there and the yellow no fuel light is in, despite a full tank.

Any tips please before I dive into my Haynes manual?

Thanks

Simon,
Check and clean the contacts for the tank multiplug on the RHS, as this gives the info to the RID. You may have corroded contacts.
Easily cleaned with a cotton bud and something like brasso

HTH
Neil

Thanks NeilDD...is that the block behind the black plastic cover on RHS of the fuel tank?

3054160255c047832118037f34db456b.jpg

Cheers guys!

It couldn’t be a relay Simon??
No.7 ...?
Same as horn No.6..
Cheers and best of luck

Attachments

• 9BE6976D-FB71-4F98-95C9-7368DE624532.jpg
    9BE6976D-FB71-4F98-95C9-7368DE624532.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 229
Horn still works... despite torrential tropical storms today, which also set the gear indicator permanently at 4 late this afternoon. No worries, I started riding as a teenager without any fancy stuff like fuel gauges and gear indicators

Today's rain on its way. Sadly I cannot load the video which really conveys what it's like living in a yellow (GS) submarine!
b15b1178bc5f9a74dbdb314a7d4e3be3.jpg

6dce33b64096376fdd52d261bbf8b26c.jpg

Set the trip to zero - look for petrol @ 165 miles - black tape over fuel light!!!

No charge!:thumb

Twizzle: way ahead of you, mate!

Plus I have a jerrycan on the back

Back
Top Bottom