Yet another battery.

Danny88

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello all,

99 1150gs, had for 9 years.

A few years ago purchased a gel battery from Bmw which never seemed like it had the power to start the bike correctly. Used to get a lot of ABS flashing even when not stood for that long even when riding frequently just didn’t seem right.

Purchased an optimate to maintain and quickly realised the battery wasn’t holding charge. Perhaps a damaged cell?

Bought a motobatt in Jan of this year and seemed all ok, used semi regularly and maintained on optimate all good.

Then left for 5 weeks after a long run (no issues at all) and now dead and won’t accept charge.

I have 2 optimates and both will say it’s under 40% charge then confirm the battery is unable to hold charge at maintenance test stage.

Could there be some situation or miss connection or alternator issue that is killing batteries on my bike? It seems too much of a coincidence to be two faulty ones.

Thanks.

Dan

Check the connections for corrosion between the battery and starter solenoid and also the battery and the frame/engine casing. Anything other than a good connection will lead to all sorts of starting and charging problems

Check charging voltage. I’m not sure about RPM but if you connect a multimeter set to volts you should not see above 14.8 volts thought the rev range. Anything over that will cook the battery. JJH

Two batteries over a few years doesn't sound much like a problem :D

+1 with Steptoe, batteries are like a lottery win, if you get the right number all is fine, I went through 2 in 3 years on a Harley, bike was perfect, good quality branded batteries, just the way it goes.

Not sure if this helps but on my 4th battery on a 2013 TC. No rhyme or reason to it :thumby:

I would usually budget for a new battery, if someone tells me a bike I am looking to buy is permanently on an optimate, when not being used.

I think the things kill batteries.

If a bike has an alarm or anolog clock. When not used. I would stick on an optimate. Once every three weeks. Then disconnect when charged.

I would usually budget for a new battery, if someone tells me a bike I am looking to buy is permanently on an optimate, when not being used.

I think the things kill batteries.

If a bike has an alarm or anolog clock. When not used. I would stick on an optimate. Once every three weeks. Then disconnect when charged.

Me too
Well said Nick
I never use a conditioner full time
Just 48 hour blasts every 4-6 weeks over winter

Hello all,

99 1150gs, had for 9 years.

A few years ago purchased a gel battery from Bmw which never seemed like it had the power to start the bike correctly. Used to get a lot of ABS flashing even when not stood for that long even when riding frequently just didn’t seem right.

Purchased an optimate to maintain and quickly realised the battery wasn’t holding charge. Perhaps a damaged cell?

Bought a motobatt in Jan of this year and seemed all ok, used semi regularly and maintained on optimate all good.

Then left for 5 weeks after a long run (no issues at all) and now dead and won’t accept charge.

I have 2 optimates and both will say it’s under 40% charge then confirm the battery is unable to hold charge at maintenance test stage.

Could there be some situation or miss connection or alternator issue that is killing batteries on my bike? It seems too much of a coincidence to be two faulty ones.

Thanks.

Dan

Which Optimates are you using , the 1, 2 ,3 and possibly 4 are not designed for use with AGM batteries , there is an old thread somewhere on the site of using an Optimate 4 on AGM batteries and them failing soon after

Me too
Well said Nick
I never use a conditioner full time
Just 48 hour blasts every 4-6 weeks over winter

A new battery is ordered, and regarding optimate every 4-6 weeks that’s exactly what I did and it failed??

The question is, is there something a bike can do to damage a battery. Having a battery on my bike since January at almost £80 and now having to buy a new one as it’s completely unable to hold charge can’t be correct? It’s not on charge constantly so how is it damaged, it’s not old or neglected.

Which Optimates are you using , the 1, 2 ,3 and possibly 4 are not designed for use with AGM batteries , there is an old thread somewhere on the site of using an Optimate 4 on AGM batteries and them failing soon after

It is an optimate 4. Well that could explain things?

Like a couple of previous posters I’m not a fan of battery tenders. Never used one. Never replaced a battery on any of the modern bikes I’ve had since 2000. JJH

Back
Top Bottom