BMW R1150GSA exhaust questions

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anyone comment on the best combo of end can with the standard headers/cat in place. I have the choice of a stubby, a straight through Remus Genesis or the standard end can. It may be that it doesn’t make a scrap of difference to the way the bike runs, but please do share your experience! I’m only sticking with the cat as some clever people on here say that the bike is ‘better’ with it fitted?? :beerjug:

My choice is Remus Titanium for lower weight & aesthetics than a oem can

Some like a stubby

I don't

Standard can, y piece
Remus titanium looks and sounds good, but the noise got on my nerves on the motorway after a while, so I swapped it back :cool:
Each to their own tho :)

Thanks gents, for the reply’s so far. Has anyone noticed a bike running smoother on a particular set up, either at lower revs or up around the legal limit, or just beyond it, which is where my bike feels a little less silky should we say (70 + mph)? I do have some F800 handle bars fitted though, so no rubber in them to dampen the vibes. Could this be my ‘issue’? :nenau

Got a stubby on mine, fretted about fitting it. There are always threads on numerous bike forums about fitting free flowing silencers, with potential ensuing damage. Never noticed any difference in the running, makes the bike marginally lighter, not that you'll notice. Just did a search, fitted it 10 years ago.......

Cheers for the reply’s everyone. I have now fitted a K and N filter along with the Remus. I can’t imagine the bike being noticeably better than it feels right now, but I’m still all ears!

Mine had a Remus when I bought it. Ended up taking it off and back to standard......with the Remus I melted two number plate hangers and plates .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Mine had a Remus when I bought it. Ended up taking it off and back to standard......with the Remus I melted two number plate hangers and plates .

Baffles out?
Later Remus has an extended and horizontally angled exit pipe to avoid this

No idea if the baffles were out, it didn't sound loud. This was happening without panniers. Standard exhaust gave no noticeable change other than no more melting.
Baffles out?
Later Remus has an extended and horizontally angled exit pipe to avoid this

My mate had a cheapie after-market exhaust fitted to his R1100RS. Sounded lovely at tickover but quite intrusive at higher revs. Melted his pannier on the way to Scotland one year.

I've got a stubby with cat on my 1150GSA, feels a little warmer but as it blows to the side of the bike it isn't an issue. Can't say it makes the bike run any better or worse, just a wee bit louder.

Apart from the 'Sound of Silence(ers)', which is entirely subjective, there are several ways to polish-up the 'carburation' of these models, the 1150cc bikes and the 1200 James Bond film Cruiser..
BMW designed these bikes to run very lean, with the ECU mapped accordingly.
This can mean that many riders want more oomph lower down, faster throttle response and smoother mid-range, with a freer-flowing top end, which is where your issue seems to be.

I would suggest that you search the forums for threads on "John The Greek's" Performance Chip, which I've added to spectacular effect on my Rockster, not only in responsiveness but even a slightly more economical mileage; plus other simpler plug'n'play tweaks for the bike's fuel burning like the AF-XIED and the later-version spray-pattern injectors as used on the 1200cc bikes.

I use a Y-pipe instead of the heavy OEM cat-box, along with the OEM silencer. Seems fine and the ITV testing station [ Inspección Técnica de Vehículos ] passes the bike's emission rate 'no hay problema'.

AL in sunny Andalucía.

Remus Y Piece
Standard Silencer
K & N Air Filter
Techlusion controller

I'm in two minds about the noise, but overall it seems to work...

Fuel consumption with Zega's and camping gear is 44 to 48mpg.

Attachments

• R1150GS Dyno Run 2.png
    R1150GS Dyno Run 2.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 238
Remus Y Piece
Standard Silencer
K & N Air Filter
Techlusion controller

I'm in two minds about the noise, but overall it seems to work...

Fuel consumption with Zega's and camping gear is 44 to 48mpg.
Blimey all, is a mine field of different info and riders’ favourite set up’s! Should I have expected anything less.............??
Dave, that’s a very nice power curve but the torque curve seems a little up and down? So long as it feels good, I suppose that’s all that matters. And on that point, my bike feels great, so I think I’ll just leave it in its present form :thumb Thanks for the help peeps

Back
Top Bottom