final drive oil leak.here we go again

db-89

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i bought a 2007 gsa 3 weeks ago,after a 4 day trip to wales i developed a small leak from my final drive(wheel side) i drove the bike every second day for the first 2 weeks of ownership and it didnt leak during that time but it was all small journeys. the previous owner changed all fluids not long before sale also. i dropped the drive oil today and measure 220mls of oil(after leaking for 4 days mind) the rear drive does have some minor play top to bottom but i have been told not to mind this as its normal. you do have to pull hard to get it and the bike moves on its centre stand with the effort involved. iv refilled with 180mls of 75w now.

from experience does it more so seem that the seal has leaked due to excessive volume of oil and the pressures involved with a longer journey or should there be zero play in the final drive and its the movement causing the seal to fail and now leaking?

After my leak I took out the same volume I put in - only a tiny amount leaked, although it looked like more spread over the wheel. But 220ml is a lot - from what I understand BMW reduced the advised refill amount on account of the frequency of leaks.

Is it ABS? Check parts diagram on RealOEM to see if seal is behind crown wheel bearing or in front of it

Drop final drive by disconnecting from torque arm and check for play in pinion

If non-ABS, and seal on outside of bearing, and no play in pinion, you may get away with seal change

Have a look at my thread on this and consider contacting Mike at Overland if it needs work done

no play on pinion side or leak into the swingarm tank god ,its abs version 1 if i recall from the diagrams

220 was the original level but was reduced to 180 because of this very issue. Many people servicing their own bike don't agree with the reduction so still put in the original amount. I would run it as you have it setup now and see what happens. If it continues to leak you will need it sorted.

Slight play is normal, 1mm at rim is permissable. It's a terrible design that they never fixed properly.

coolo will do,ill clock up 500kms i think and get it dropped into my local bmw mechanic for an overall inspection before winter just as a peace of mind

220 was the original level but was reduced to 180 because of this very issue. Many people servicing their own bike don't agree with the reduction so still put in the original amount. I would run it as you have it setup now and see what happens. If it continues to leak you will need it sorted.

Slight play is normal, 1mm at rim is permissable. It's a terrible design that they never fixed properly.

I'd beg to disagree - mine had 1mm ;) play in the drive - on checking with a respected member on here, his diagnosis was "it wasnt right"

Following some fetalisation for Mike :bow i now have no play :)

Look at it this way - they dont get better with wear only worse --

If your topping up oil, its escaping and ending up over your hub & potentially, rear disc

I'd beg to disagree - mine had 1mm ;) play in the drive - on checking with a respected member on here, his diagnosis was "it wasnt right"

Following some fetalisation for Mike :bow i now have no play :)

Look at it this way - they dont get better with wear only worse --

If your topping up oil, its escaping and ending up over your hub & potentially, rear disc

1mm at the drive is a hell of a lot more than 1mm at the rim. There is a BMW maintenance bulletin about it. I am not saying it is right, I am saying its is acceptable in BMW's eyes but then they thought the whole design was ok for nearly 10 years. I wouldn't touch another BMW because what is ok in their eyes is far from OK in mine!

done 150kms today on the fresh oil and it has a lesser leak but a leak none the less.local bmw mechanic is on holidays till next week so little use for me till then. not happy since i just bought the bike and only mad to do many miles

Obviously needing fixed. Might not be any quicker in the long run but give Mike a shout. If he says it needs rebuilt then it needs it and you will get peace of mind.
done 150kms today on the fresh oil and it has a lesser leak but a leak none the less.local bmw mechanic is on holidays till next week so little use for me till then. not happy since i just bought the bike and only mad to do many miles

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

If it's still leaking with 180mls. of oil in it then seal is fooked, coupled with there being some perceptible play in the bearing
which, whilst not yet being a show stopper isn't good; it's a matter of when you get the drive re-built not if.
These FD's are a pain in the arse, having said that, i got 60k out of mine before it got the Mikeyboy treatment.

Mine done this in Portugal, probably excess weight over weeks, had serviced the FD and splines previously myself, turned up in BMW shop in a panic and mechanic saw the weep slowly existing from FD that I was trying to describe in English praying it wasn't a FD failure (I don't know a lot), he laughed, took it in and drilled something out from inside (gasket) and stuck a rear tyre on, been good for last 6k k's. Was two up, fully loaded plus guitar and amp, and our makeup.
ccbe433808caab32b58dc32ae97ead67.jpg
73ab341c0c033f767a01574ac0fa3b61.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Looking at the photo, kitchen sink comes to mind.

I've seen landrovers with less crap strapped to them.

Why the guitar ??

Looking at the photo, kitchen sink comes to mind.

I've seen landrovers with less crap strapped to them.

Why the guitar ??
Lol im glad you said it. Well this '"crap" is about 10k worth of photography equipment, and the guitar pays for the petrol in restaurants, we were relocating but that was a fast judgement Pukmeister, love our crap.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom