BMW R35/3 rebirth

Mark8303

Reaction score
I’ve recently rescued the above from the proverbial barn. It’s complete with the patina expected of a pensioner! I have started by removing the wheels and delivered them to Wheelwise (Steve Rolfe) for rebuild and I’ll work my way through the brakes and electrics to get it roadworthy. The bike was shipped new to India and returned to Berlin in the early seventies where it was sold to a British chippie working there during the recession. He returned with it to London in ‘78 and re-registered it so it became an ‘S’ reg.
what I wanted to ask is:

Is it possible to register it again but with a number in line with its year of manufacture? That way I can legally fit silver on black number plates. I assume that either way it won’t need road tax?

Bad start! Of course it’s an R25

Last edited:
Get in touch with DVLA and explain.

What actual year is the bike ?
It should have had an age specific plate at the time of UK registration anyway.
You'll need a dating certificate from an approved and recognised club or agent as part of the process.

One problem might be that if when it was UK registered and that was the first time it was ever registered, you may have a bit of a paperwork battle to pre date that first registration as a new bike.

By the way, recent changes mean that any registered Historic Vehicle 40 years old from May this year actually are eligible for a silver/black plate.

Get in touch with DVLA and explain.

By the way, recent changes mean that any registered Historic Vehicle 40 years old from May this year actually are eligible for a silver/black plate.

just one question regarding this 40 year old no tax etc., rule

does it have to be over 40 years since it was registered in the UK

I have an (imported) vehicle - V5 says registered in 2005, but it has been given an age related plate for 1976 when it was first manufactured, in Germany

Thank for the feedback....

As far as I can work out it is a 1953/4/5? but I'm working on that. I'll post the one photo I have of it in the pickup post collection asap and as many others as I can during the rebuild. It's in my father in law's open barn at the moment along with my rough Honda Dominator which is also awaiting attention. I want to get it into my garage for winter attention but that needs more (much!) tidying first. Of course by removing the wheels I've made it much more difficult to move!

Last edited:
just one question regarding this 40 year old no tax etc., rule

does it have to be over 40 years since it was registered in the UK

I have an (imported) vehicle - V5 says registered in 2005, but it has been given an age related plate for 1976 when it was first manufactured, in Germany

Proven to be over 40 years of age.

Back
Top Bottom