Thread: Recommendation for Ifor P7 lashing points

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Recommendation for Ifor P7 lashing points

In an effort to make life simpler (one trailer to cover all needs?). I have today picked up to a new (to me) For P7e. It is going be used for everything including transporting my GS, next week.

Can anyone recommend some tie down points. I don't really want any set in to the floor as it will be carrying wet stuff and I don't want a place that fluid can pool.

Has anyone used either type such as these?

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/v...&cat=561004335

http://www.leisure-mart.co.uk/shop/v...&cat=561004335

I like the idea of welding on to the base of the sides if this is strong enough? If not then the second with bolts through the floor?

Tips appreciated if anyone has used a P7 for their GS. Are just 4 lash down points enough and would a front wheel brace be worthwhile?

Regards,

T.

Bump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Janus Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hello T,

Have you chatted with an IW Dealer ? They might be able to save you time and effort about where to attach any lashing points. You obviously need to keep the centre of gravity low and the trailer weight slightly nose heavy. It would be a shame if you go over a bump and the bike pullls that lashing points out.

It would appear from the manual that a front wheel chock will help.

Don’t forget to check your insurance as it’s normally the towing vehicle that has the insurance.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I have used a bolt-on version of the first one on an Indespension trailer. One in each corner. The floor was that phenolic board, and I use some bits of plywood under neath to reinforce the floor. There were two steel flanges supporting the floor, one at the edge and one about a foot in. I cut the plywood to fit below these, so that any upward force was transmitted directly to the chassis. I never had any problems with them in about two years that I had the trailer.

I deliberately avoided weld-on loops because I wanted to keep the galvanising intact.

In the base - fit bolt-through anchor points as mentioned above.

Place them - one in each corner, together with one on each side (at the wheels) - 6 in total.

Also - drill the base to take one of those front wheel ‘grabs’. This will need to be removable for times when you need the entire trailer for other duties.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...8AAOSwpkFY7Kem

Use galvanised bolts, lubricated with Molykote, and get some large galvanised or stainless washers to spread the load in the base.

Either fit double nuts wrung together, or use Nylock nuts on the bolts.

Where you drill the base - spray with Galvafroid paint to prevent corrosion there.

Should do it.
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

Watching with interest .... I’ve got a p7e and the only way I can get a GS or a GSA in is diagonally, and it’s a tight fit at that .... and makes it difficult to strap down evenly.

Please post pics of your solution

Great trailers Ivor Williams

Thanks to all, for some reason I aven't been getting the alerts so wasn't aware of the replies - I have drilled 4 lashing points down each side, atleast one 8mm bolt from each has gone through the metal work of the trailer, most I've managed to get both through so it looks like a good option. I am on the look out for a front wheel chock to be bolted in to the floor when required (if anyone has one going spare?!)

Cheers.

If the bike only fits by jamming the front wheel in a corner - you shouldn’t need the wheel chock?

Also - you don’t need the rear wheel to be ‘enclosed’ by the rear drop-down side. As long as the wheel is on the bed, the rear can be left off?

(If you need to use a separate ramp to get the bike on - don’t forget to take the ramp with you! (Pal of mine recently loaded his bike for his holidays, in to his van - then carefully put the ramp back in his garage . Luckily - he was only driving as far as his daughter’s near London, so managed to run it on to her trailer, and on to the ground from there)
    If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
    Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....

How it looks currently:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk