Front brake shudder

Have you checked that the discs and pads are clean?

I would clean the discs and pads with brake cleaner and deglaze the pads with emery.

Make sure that the tyer is seated evenly. You should see a line in the tyer running at the rim. Make sure that is even all round the wheel on both sides. You can spin the wheel and hold your ruler beside the tyer to see if there’s any runout. I’m focusing on something that seems to have happened when the tyer was changed. I don’t like coninstances. Can’t spell it either. JJH

Have you checked that the discs and pads are clean?

I would clean the discs and pads with brake cleaner and deglaze the pads with emery.

Yes all spotless, pads are quite new too. Cleaned with brake cleaner earlier and pads given a rub with one of her new cutex nail files. :angel

Make sure that the tyer is seated evenly. You should see a line in the tyer running at the rim. Make sure that is even all round the wheel on both sides. You can spin the wheel and hold your ruler beside the tyer to see if there’s any runout. I’m focusing on something that seems to have happened when the tyer was changed. I don’t like coninstances. Can’t spell it either. JJH

Spelling is for authors! Yeah, the tyre is seated properly. Tyres are great actually, PR 5 Trails. Took about 500km for them to settle in (or was that me taking time to adjust to them) . Maybe something happened when the tyres were changed. I don't know. To be honest, I wasn't riding the 1200 for quite a while before the service and tyre change, I was riding my (now sold) r850r. THe pulse could have been there before that. I really couldn't swear on it either way. All I know is, now I notice it, Ive got it checked and I do have a warped disk.

At least you know wots wrong and can get it sorted. JJH

That's it. I'm relieved. I was afraid it was the abs sensor giving a bit of trouble, causing the abs to pulse or something. Just have to rationalise and justify buying two disks now because I technically only need one...

Nice you have found the problem so quickly :thumb2

Pads, i never renew them if they are good as they just bed in to the new disc/s pretty quickly i have always found.

Nice you have found the problem so quickly :thumb2

Pads, i never renew them if they are good as they just bed in to the new disc/s pretty quickly i have always found.

The pads are pretty much brand new, so I'll just use them!

Have you tried Demon Tweeks?
I had a rear from them a while ago and they were good on price.
I live about 10 mins. from them so they are dead handy for me :D

I'll check the prices out. I'm in Dublin, so nowhere is handy. It's times like this that I get nervous about a hard brexit!!!

Try cleaning up pads and discs first. Use steel wool or similar to remove any build up on the discs and clean out the holes while you're at it.

If I recall correctly, it was about 2007 when they changed the mounting arrangement of the front disks to reduce brake judder. I think they changed the mounting washer setup for a small spring washer between two flat ones, but can't remember exactly.

What I'm trying to say is, be sure to get the correct setup for your bike as you are around the changeover date. If yours is the older disk mounting arrangement maybe swap to the newer one ?

Back
Top Bottom