RDS Sensor Purchase.

commandoallan

Reaction score
Morning All,

I'm after 2 x RDS Sensors for a 2008 R1200GSA.

Anybody know of availability anywhere? I have tired Motorworks/ Fleabay and have come up short..

Many thanks. :beerjug:

BMW Motorrad, agents nationwide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you still have the old ones? 9 out of 10 times it's just the batteries that die and it's handy enough to replace them.

I did that and worked like a charm!

+1 for replacing batteries, best to use the ones with tags on as the batteries do not like too much heat.
CR2032 later ones used CR2050 a bit thicker and more capacity.
Where ever you get new sensors from make sure you get the codes with them ( BMW dealers have been known to remove the code sticker so you have to go back to them to wake up the sensors and write the codes to the ecu). If you have access to a GS911 and the codes it is easy.
Had some from China with BMW part number on them but without codes, no problem I thought as I know someone with a high end code reader.
The codes had letters in them that could not be written to the ecu. and the ones that were all numbers still would not work.
Yet others from China the codes read and worked ok.

Do you still have the old ones? 9 out of 10 times it's just the batteries that die and it's handy enough to replace them.

I did that and worked like a charm!

"Old" ones are in situ on the bike and are actually new from fleabay but Cannons could not activate them, I have an activation tool on order for around 8 GBP from Fleabay and already have the GS911 so will try again but do not hold much hope.

I will require new tyres in a few months so wanted another set to replace these when I fit my tyres...Did try the battery replacement on my previous set and f...cked them right up, It was a rush job at the tyre shop whilst my wheels were off and the tryes were being replaced so I suppose I should have taken my time and ideally have two sets to use in rotation....

Will try the battery replacement again when I actually purchase sensors that work...

Cheers.:aidan

+1 for replacing batteries, best to use the ones with tags on as the batteries do not like too much heat.
Where ever you get new sensors from make sure you get the codes with them ( BMW dealers have been known to remove the code sticker so you have to go back to them to wake up the sensors and write the codes to the ecu). If you have access to a GS911 and the codes it is easy.
Had some from China with BMW part number on them but without codes, no problem I thought as I know someone with a high end code reader.
The codes had letters in them that could not be written to the ecu. and the ones that were all numbers still would not work.
Yet others from China the codes read and worked ok.

Yep, thanks. Same answer as to RTV.

Replacement of batteries is the way to go but should really have two sets..:blast

Effing really, you call that advice?????? :toungincheek

You openly asked for advice, so I gave some. :D

It's not like I'm not lying to you, sometimes the official parts supplier can do a better deal than elsewhere if you ask. :nenau

Yep.. Point taken, just double the cost of everywhere else. May have to bite the bullet though..

Many thanks mukka.

Thanks, handy as I need to do this as well. When you suggest tags, is there an orientation of the tags that works best? Would rather order correct item and do it all in one sitting. Any advice appreciated. Cheers

"Old" ones are in situ on the bike and are actually new from fleabay but Cannons could not activate them, I have an activation tool on order for around 8 GBP from Fleabay and already have the GS911 so will try again but do not hold much hope.

I will require new tyres in a few months so wanted another set to replace these when I fit my tyres...Did try the battery replacement on my previous set and f...cked them right up, It was a rush job at the tyre shop whilst my wheels were off and the tryes were being replaced so I suppose I should have taken my time and ideally have two sets to use in rotation....

Will try the battery replacement again when I actually purchase sensors that work...

Cheers.:aidan

Just for info as you surely know already. :thumb2

https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/gs-series/177842-tpms-rdc-wake-up-tool.html

I have used Panasonic batteries from RS components rather than ebay as I wanted genuine batteries with a good date on them.
RS stock number 513-2871 approx £1.20 each + vat.

I've got one of those those wake up tools in the link. Did all as instructed and nothing, several times. Went back on the 911 menu, then back into it again and hey presto number was there. Great for a week, then the sensor batteries went!

Last edited:
Now that looks very handy.
I have tried the deflating the Tyre over 10 seconds method to wake the sensor many times but never succeeded.

Likewise, I couldnt wake a new tyre pressure sensor by deflating and had to take my bike to BMW. Even with the official wake up tool it kept going to sleep before they could copy the code to the ecu, it took several attempts.

When you have it sorted, use the GS911 to display the codes then write them down somewhere safe.

I've ordered one of those ebay wake up tools, thanks for the link.

On an old unit, it would make sense to change the TPS battery anyway. Then a wake up routine should have enough power to actually wake the sensor and outlast the new tyre. The battery job not especially hard to do.

It's interesting to see the valve stem is removable. I have not tried but they are quite fragile so worth knowing of one gets broken.

a784fe27410d1d34f156003aa4d655e9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom