Had the XCountry Hilltopped

Schtum

Iconoclast
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I took the XCountry, which I recently bought from Longjohn on here, into Motorrad Central in Dalkeith to have Hilltop software uploaded to the ECU today. Motorrad Central is the only place in Scotland doing this. They have a hot line to Geoff's server. They plug in the bike and he uploads the software. Having fitted a Leo Vince can which removes the OEM cat', I thought it would be a wise move to have the fuelling optimised to prevent any engine damage from it running too lean and maybe squeeze out a wee bit extra performance at the same time.

It took just over an hour all in to do the upload. Motorrad Central don't have a dyno so there's no printout of any power or torque improvements, just your own seat-of-the-pants dyno to help you calibrate any changes. Mine tells me that the bike is now a bit more grunty, a bit smoother and has a bit more throttle response. It's not night and day but maybe a bit richer is better for it in the long term when it's sans cat' and getting thrashed. It was very woolly to begin with and a bit less so now. I think it must have a pretty conservative cam. It could do with a bit of a harder edge to it. Having said that, it did elicit my supermotard hooligan on the way home. Time will tell what the result, if any, might be on the previous c. 70 mpg fuel economy.

I think a small improvement to something that's not got a whole lot of performance to begin with and which I use almost all of all the time, is very quickly taken for granted and thereafter goes unnoticed. Does that mean it wasn't worth the £350...?

Glad your enjoying it great little bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be wanting more than a bit of an improvement for £350 but like everything value for money is down to the individual.

FWIW, my xCountry was a bit gruntier/smoother/peppier with the stock silencer de catted (£20)
I was getting nowhere near 70mpg when using 'most of the performance, most of the time' however, pre or post decat!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Worth every penny in my book Mike ... Took my 650 down to Geoff for the Fully Monty, including rolling road etc. Probably 'my' saved software he used on yours as mine was his first :D

It was very lean, he cured that but with no loss to fuel consumption. Riding with other Xcountries it isn't any faster, maybe very marginally so, but I didn't have it done for that. What the read outs don't tell you is how much nicer it feels. It will pobble along in a thirty limit in fourth gear, with instant throttle response and pick up ... it would never have done that before :thumb

As an aside, after taking it down to Hilltop Proper I fitted a full BMW Akro Titanium exhaust system. The front pipe from its exit from the head, the whole pipe is 1mm larger diameter than stock. The Remus front pipe is standard diameter but bells out to 1mm larger, so is more restrictive than the Akro. Took it back down to Geoff for a quick check ... I'd lost 1 bhp but gained about 4 ft/lbs torque. That'll do nicely thank you :D

Now get the suspension sorted. That's worth 20 bhp when sorted :D

Enjoy the bike for what it is ... great machines :thumb

:beerjug:

I've got AF-XIED units fitted to all of my 650X's - half the price of a re-map , can be removed from the bike when selling it and in IMHO makes a big difference to the bikes running

I swapped out my standard pipe for the Scorpion end can. I noticed an immediate release of middle, usable 'power'. I have put the word power in inverted commas because I don't know if it is power or torque but definitely gruntier and better throttle response. Mine will also run in 4th happily at 30, even with a 17 tooth front sprocket. I don't ride hard, I just like to keep up a nice steady average and it is returning awesome mpg. I rode down to south side of Hereford the other day. I filled to the brim, so it is just coming out of the little hole in the chromed bayonet of the filler neck. Down and back to same fuel station, the BP by the double roundabout in Rugeley. She had covered 156 miles between fill ups and I put in 7.96 litres.....and that was carrying my photographic gear too. I didn't go on anything but A5 and then down the B roads, no dual carriageways or motorways, all back twisties, so quite a bit of that mileage was in 4th. :thumby:

Brilliant wee bike just got better!
Fitted booster plug to my x country at weekend, didn’t think it would make much difference as i have a F650gs dakar which I would have sold before fitting booster plug,(transformed). Reason is x country at 2k miles from new is as good or better than dakar straight out of box. It is sprightlier , massively lighter and fuelling feels good.
Had a brilliant 200mile jaunt down borders , newcastleton, Hawick ,duns, lammermuirs etc. Weather fantastic , good conditions to see any differences.
Immediately virtually no popping on overrun, most definitely smoother, especially 45-60mph, actually so smooth hardly feels like a single on steady run. Faster ? Hardly go up the revs at all but was parked on wrong side of road on a nice bridge with fast passing traffic so took off quickly and quite surprised on acceleration. Definitely quicker. So all round very smooth from low revs all through, bit more grunt lower down and quicker.
On 120 mile fill , half tank with booster plug in , got 80 mpg. Best I’ve had is 135 (twice) before fuel light came on , and 156 on tank. With booster got 137miles before fuel light so definitely not worse. If you know these roads lots of 4 th gear and single tracks 2/3rd gear over elmscleuch. So overall excellent improvement, quite unexpected with the fuelling being much better than dakar to start with.
It’s really a brilliant wee bike. When I’ve eventually got 21” wheel fitted ( still looking for hub/ wheel) and forks as good as my race tech modded dakar forks I can’t imagine a better all round bike. Had a look around motorrad Dalkieth, must be £1.5 million plus of bikes, wow. Came out liking my wee bike better!

Brilliant wee bike just got better!
Fitted booster plug to my x country at weekend, didn’t think it would make much difference as i have a F650gs dakar which I would have sold before fitting booster plug,(transformed). Reason is x country at 2k miles from new is as good or better than dakar straight out of box. It is sprightlier , massively lighter and fuelling feels good.
Had a brilliant 200mile jaunt down borders , newcastleton, Hawick ,duns, lammermuirs etc. Weather fantastic , good conditions to see any differences.
Immediately virtually no popping on overrun, most definitely smoother, especially 45-60mph, actually so smooth hardly feels like a single on steady run. Faster ? Hardly go up the revs at all but was parked on wrong side of road on a nice bridge with fast passing traffic so took off quickly and quite surprised on acceleration. Definitely quicker. So all round very smooth from low revs all through, bit more grunt lower down and quicker.
On 120 mile fill , half tank with booster plug in , got 80 mpg. Best I’ve had is 135 (twice) before fuel light came on , and 156 on tank. With booster got 137miles before fuel light so definitely not worse. If you know these roads lots of 4 th gear and single tracks 2/3rd gear over elmscleuch. So overall excellent improvement, quite unexpected with the fuelling being much better than dakar to start with.
It’s really a brilliant wee bike. When I’ve eventually got 21” wheel fitted ( still looking for hub/ wheel) and forks as good as my race tech modded dakar forks I can’t imagine a better all round bike. Had a look around motorrad Dalkieth, must be £1.5 million plus of bikes, wow. Came out liking my wee bike better!

You can't argue with that.

Checked fuel on last run with booster plug fitted, 141miles, 7.8 L = 82.4 mpg. So certainly not significant increase, worst I’ve had is 72 I think and best 84 if I remember correctly.
Run coming up tomorrow,see if notice the difference on second tank.
I’ve read on WayneC that booster plug a bit like snake oil, he certainly is knowledgeable on all things 650bmw and electrics.
On F650gs dakar booster plug transformed low down and smoothness.
On xc a bit smoother and torquey , nothing as dramatic as dakar, although as it came I thought it was better than dakar to start with.
WayneC I’m sure said somewhere that Ecu reads booster plug and it adapts in time so no advantage? Certainly on dakar it’s the same improvement since fitted, I wonder if xc will be different. If anyone has views please let us know!

Back
Top Bottom