Was jacket reproofing

Comfy Old Boots

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So I've got a John Partridge jacket. Really love it. Don't use it on the bike. Anyway, for better or worse it's been washed twice in the washing machine with detergent. I know... bad move. On the positive, it no longer stinks of cigarettes. I'm still off them :D

Can I buy some of the wax and reapply? Or will it just soak through the cotton to the lining? It would be nice to have it waterproof again but as it stands it's still a warm comfy jacket.

Any tips?

In the short term why not wear a water proof over jacket? Till you get sorted. JJH

In the short term why not wear a water proof over jacket? Till you get sorted. JJH

I can't argue with the logic of that but it would ruin my stylish, man about town look :green gri

It does not stop me wearing the jacket but I'm wary of reproofing it now that I've washed it. I don't want to ruin it further!

I've got an old belstaff that i wax once a year, 'barbour wax dressing' i think it is, you need to keep the wax warm so it spreads/absorbs properly work it in with a cloth i keep the tin in a pan of water & keep it on low. Takes me about an hour or so but once you get going its easy enough. You can also get wafting with a heat gun once confident but obviously you have to be careful :thumb

I've got an old belstaff that i wax once a year, 'barbour wax dressing' i think it is, you need to keep the wax warm so it spreads/absorbs properly work it in with a cloth i keep the tin in a pan of water & keep it on low. Takes me about an hour or so but once you get going its easy enough. You can also get wafting with a heat gun once confident but obviously you have to be careful :thumb

I've located the wax here in Dublin. So, you recon it's worth trying? The persil stripped all the origional wax out.

Go for it. I'm sure it will be fine. Easy way is to heat the wax until liquid and apply with a cloth.

I need to do mine for the winter.

Go for it. I'm sure it will be fine. Easy way is to heat the wax until liquid and apply with a cloth.

I need to do mine for the winter.

Thanks. I've actually just got off the phone from them. They will get back shortly with advice! The chap who answered the phone was very nice and is checking with the factory about which would be the best product to use.

^^^^^except the heat gun:eek: Use a hairdryer - sufficient and easy with the wax. Too much and will soak all the way through liner. Take your time, loads of videos on YouTube as tutorials :thumb2

I've been advised to send them some photos of the garment as it stands now. They will advise when they see the photos.

I've been told elsewhere that I will need to spend three or four hours doing the job. And when I think there is enough in the seams, do them again! I'll update with JP's response to my photos.

I sent mine to Barbour - the do a re-proof and deep clean for about £35 (stockman coat). Look it up online?

I saw that. I wonder would there be brand loyalty issues? Plus I’d have to pay postage costs there and back. A tin of Barbour wax costs €16. I’ve just sent them photos. I hope they get back quickly.

I bought the wax earlier today. Applied it as per the instructions, then I used a hair dryer all over it. I have to say I am very impressed with the results. I was worried that the jacket would be greasy! It's not. Plus, it looks healthier! I only used 2/3 of a tub of the stuff. So, depending on my first rain experience, I may end up putting on another coat of it, possibly two. Really glad i did it. I'm going to wear it out shortly! I know they say let it dry over night but it seems dry to me! Maybe I didn't put enough on but it got an even coat. No pun intended hehe :D

But seeing as you are in Ireland you may need an extra coating to play safe with the waterproofing ;)

Very true. The eskimos have 50 for words for snow. I'm pretty sure the Irish could come up with a similar number for rain! It was such a painless process, I might apply the rest of the tin when I have some spare time. I'l see how it wears over the next week or two. Thanks for the tips gang.

Back
Top Bottom