its time chaps and its gotta go

So, say 10,000 Africa Twins have been registered....

The problem IMHO for the AT is that it occupies this middle ground of the big wide adventure bike spectrum.

I believe it's not as good as a 1090 offroad (it's a comparable weight to the 1090 wet) it's not as good as a GS/GSA for touring. It's slower than both on the road. It has the same PTW ratio as the 2004 GS hexhead so its hardly a thrilling ride....

The tiger 8 and BM F8 are both lighter and okay less powerfull....but you get the picture....

I'd say your average 2nd hand buyer tends to not to be so interested in the next fad bike (else they'd buy new), the only thing to really set it apart slightly is the Honda reputation and its a good looking bike especially in tri-colour.....if you don't like orange and you aren't bothered by offroad capability. Even Honda's own 750 and 1200 cross-dressers offer a better road touring option.

So there are not 9990 used buyers lining up for all those PCP machines to appear in the used market.

I think it had too much hype and it fell short of the 750's standard IMHO.

So I just don't see the point of it or than for Honda to try and grab a slice of the ADV bike market but others are already one step ahead, but in trying to copy the market leaders they come up with something that is better than neither.

But for £70 per month, it's an excellent backup bike :D

The problem IMHO for the AT is that it occupies this middle ground of the big wide adventure bike spectrum.

I believe it's not as good as a 1090 offroad (it's a comparable weight to the 1090 wet) it's not as good as a GS/GSA for touring. It's slower than both on the road. It has the same PTW ratio as the 2004 GS hexhead so its hardly a thrilling ride....

The tiger 8 and BM F8 are both lighter and okay less powerfull....but you get the picture....

I'd say your average 2nd hand buyer tends to not to be so interested in the next fad bike (else they'd buy new), the only thing to really set it apart slightly is the Honda reputation and its a good looking bike especially in tri-colour.....if you don't like orange and you aren't bothered by offroad capability. Even Honda's own 750 and 1200 cross-dressers offer a better road touring option.

So there are not 9990 used buyers lining up for all those PCP machines to appear in the used market.

So I just don't see the point of it or than for Honda to try and grab a slice of the ADV bike market but others are already one step ahead, but in trying to copy the market leaders they come up with something that is better than neither.

I reckon you are spot, ok looker...................but very bland to ride, when I took one out

It just shows how different we all are as I think most of what you’re saying as a load crap .
Fad bike ! That’s funny
Not as good as the 750 ?
It’s better than the 850 Gs and tiger 800 (fact )
And saying it’s slower than a 1090 or wc Gs is hardly relevant as riding a to b there would be nothing in it .
It also has its usp the dct gearbox that no one else has.
Occupying the middle ground is what a lot of people want. It’s what makes a great allrounder.
We all have priorities when buying a bike especially new and the Africa twin has what I wanted
Reliability
Good off road ability for a big trail bike
Fun and relaxing to ride
Low maintenance
Good value

IMHO of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not as good as the 750 ?

Didn't say its not as good as the 750, just that it didn't better the 750's standard.

What I mean is that when the XRV750 was released it was quite something, it deserved it's dare I say it "iconic" status, it certainly wasn't a middle ground bike.

FWIW I would class the next fad bike as the Yam T7/KTM 790 they are getting the same level of hype, its just the cycle of new machines.

Im waiting for Engineer to pop up and spread some more hate for the Africa Twin
just for anyones info I ride mainly with a mate with a 2014 WC GS, my Son in law on another africa twin, His Father on a 2018 Tiger 800 and when we all give it the beans from any speed the tiger is left behind and the GS can bearly keep up, I traded my fully loaded 2017 Rallye Sport for my 2nd Africa Twin Back in October 2017 after buying it new in April, on the way back from Dobles thought this suits me so much better and it feel so lively the only thing i miss is the hill hold !!

I know everyone defends their bike but ive had so many I like to think im not too biased, im not loyal to any one badge Im financially luckily enough ride what I want when I want, and the Africa Twin for me is one of the best all round capable bikes ive ever had, and having over 150 bikes in 19 years id say ive got some idea what im talking about, that includes 12 GSs, 3 750 Africa Twins, 2 1000 Africa Twins, 3 tiger 800s, 2 Explorers, 2 Cross tourers, 1 1190 Adventure R, 7 Other KTMs, 1 Capnord, R1s GSXR1000s ZX9s, ZX12, Hayabusa,s Etc Etc

For Me The Africa Twin
Goes Well Enough (Its not A 1260 Multistrada)
Handles Well Enough (Its not A R1)
Its Reliable (Its Not A GS)
Is not showing any signs of Corrosion (Its Not A GS)
Tours Well Enough (Its Not A RT)
Lugs a load well enough (Its Not A Scania)
Sounds Nice (Its Not A Vespa)
so all in all it does what it should well enough, yes there are better bikes out there but not for the Money

just for anyones info I ride mainly with a mate with a 2014 WC GS, my Son in law on another africa twin, His Father on a 2018 Tiger 800 and when we all give it the beans from any speed the tiger is left behind and the GS can bearly keep up, I traded my fully loaded 2017 Rallye Sport for my 2nd Africa Twin Back in October 2017 after buying it new in April, on the way back from Dobles thought this suits me so much better and it feel so lively the only thing i miss is the hill hold !!

I know everyone defends their bike but ive had so many I like to think im not too biased, im not loyal to any one badge Im financially luckily enough ride what I want when I want, and the Africa Twin for me is one of the best all round capable bikes ive ever had, and having over 150 bikes in 19 years id say ive got some idea what im talking about, that includes 12 GSs, 3 750 Africa Twins, 2 1000 Africa Twins, 3 tiger 800s, 2 Explorers, 2 Cross tourers, 1 1190 Adventure R, 7 Other KTMs, 1 Capnord, R1s GSXR1000s ZX9s, ZX12, Hayabusa,s Etc Etc

For Me The Africa Twin
so all in all it does what it should well enough, yes there are better bikes out there but not for the Money
Couldn't have put it better myself!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

For Me The Africa Twin
so all in all it does what it should well ENOUGH, YES THERE ARE BETTER BIKES OUT THERE BUT NOT FOR THE MONEY.

What would you say are the 'yes there are better bikes out there'?

Ta.

What would you say are the 'yes there are better bikes out there'?

Ta.

Now thats a question
Although whats Better is not really a question, the question is what do you use the bike for mainly ??

There will be
better commuters
Better touring bikes
Better Handling bikes
Better Off road bikes
Faster Bikes (NOT A 2004 GS By the way)
Bikes with more gizmos
and more comfi bikes I doubt youd get a more reliable bike, and the fit and finish is very good (OK Apart from the Wheels which were replaced under warranty)

as a complete package the Africa twin suites me and does all of the above brilliantly and is well above my capability in all aspects, yes Cruise control, TFT colour Dash, Hill hold, TPS, miles to empty, and quickshifter would be lovely but then it would be more expensive and a Honda Africa GS !!

My advice to anyone would be go out and give one a try before making comment then a comparison can be made on fact not fiction, theres a lot of silly things said about the AT over on the thread i started Ok so whos got an Africa twin comments from people who quite evidently had never even sat on let alone ridden one, ride one make your own mind up, if you dont like it its only a test ride no one has a gun to your head, dont buy it, everyone feels different about how bikes feel, cost, colour we are different if not we would all be riding the same !!

Rob

Now thats a question
Although whats Better is not really a question, the question is what do you use the bike for mainly ??

There will be
better commuters
Better touring bikes
Better Handling bikes
Better Off road bikes
Bikes with more gizmos
and more comfi bikes I doubt youd get a more reliable bike, and the fit and finish is very good (OK Apart from the Wheels which were replaced under warranty)

as a complete package the Africa twin suites me and does all of the above brilliantly and is well above my capability in all aspects, yes Cruise control, TFT colour Dash, Hill hold, TPS, miles to empty, and quickshifter would be lovely but then it would be more expensive and a Honda Africa GS !!

My advice to anyone would be go out and give one a try before making comment then a comparison can be made on fact not fiction, theres a lot of silly things said about the AT over on the thread i started Ok so whos got an Africa twin comments from people who quite evidently had never even sat on let alone ridden one, ride one make your own mind up, if you dont like it its only a test ride no one has a gun to your head, dont buy it, everyone feels different about how bikes feel, cost, colour we are different if not we would all be riding the same !!

Rob

Well said. My mate was with me when I was sorting the deal out to get my DCT ATAS. He was saying to the salesman how the dct box takes away from the riding experience..... he's never ridden one.

DCT takes nothing away from the riding experience.

Except it takes away arm ache from pulling the clutch all day...

There a lots of brilliant bikes out there , more choice than ever before , and the AT , 1090 , GS etc are all great but very bike is a compromise .

My mate is a quick rider and when planning a recent foreign trip he chose to ship bikes rather than rent some NC750s and one of the many reasons was because they were slow and a bit shit.

3 months later we went out for a 300mile ride with 2 guys on NC750s, they had no problem keeping up all day and when they shot off on a quick road that they knew quite well my mate had to work very hard on his 12GS to just stay in touch with them. He was shocked, they were having loads of fun , big smiles over their faces and then gleefully showed off how they’d been averaging 70+mpg all day too.

The AT is a great bike and has more than enough power to put a big smile on your face ....... and the DCT on a big ride is enough to put it ahead of some of it’s competition on a big day or on a tour.

Now thats a question

There will be
better commuters
Better touring bikes
Better Handling bikes
Better Off road bikes
Bikes with more gizmos

Rob

I came froma GS LC to my current 2017 AT DCT and honestly think they are very comparable in engine performance terms, I they feel much closer in BHP terms than the numbers suggest.

I came froma GS LC to my current 2017 AT DCT and honestly think they are very comparable in engine performance terms, I they feel much closer in BHP terms than the numbers suggest.

Exactly lots of people just read the specs then come to there own conclusions without actually riding the bike !!!

The AT is an OK bike but was never going to be the GS slayer that so many predicted.

I do believe it was your perception on the thoughts of others, that brought on the whole GS Slayer thing, most of the other comments were tongue in cheek and look to me they were posted to get you going mate, which they did

As you know I bought one of the first ATs in the UK, sold it had A MT10 for 3 weeks then a S1000XR then bought my 1200GS Rallye Sport it was new in April 2017 and had everything you could have on it, at almost £19K after a week in Ireland with my son in law him on his AT that did everything my GS did and more i returned and traded the GS for my 2nd Africa twin which after a year on it and 4000 pleasure only miles im still very happy with, I have test ridden the ATAS twice now the 2nd time for 5 hours and still kept mine !!:bounce1
thats got to say something for the bike taking into account my annual average bike consumption LOL:D

The AT is an OK bike but was never going to be the GS slayer that so many predicted.

No, that’s not true . Many saw it a small a very credible alternative to the GS , which it is . However, even before it was on sale you kept on saying it would never better the GS. For some reason you felt that if it wasn’t a superior bike , which in your opinion it most definitely wasn’t, then it was clearly an inferior bike and therefore not worthy of consideration.

I do believe it was your perception on the thoughts of others, that brought on the whole GS Slayer thing, most of the other comments were tongue in cheek and look to me they were posted to get you going mate, which they did

As you know I bought one of the first ATs in the UK, sold it had A MT10 for 3 weeks then a S1000XR then bought my 1200GS Rallye Sport it was new in April 2017 and had everything you could have on it, at almost £19K after a week in Ireland with my son in law him on his AT that did everything my GS did and more i returned and traded the GS for my 2nd Africa twin which after a year on it and 4000 pleasure only miles im still very happy with, I have test ridden the ATAS twice now the 2nd time for 5 hours and still kept mine !!:bounce1
thats got to say something for the bike taking into account my annual average bike consumption LOL:D

The term GS slayer was not mine.

For Me The Africa Twin
Its Reliable (Its Not A GS) - Disagree 18,000 miles in 18 months with no problems says so.

The we pretty much agree all bar one point. The AT covered a lot of bases and quite well but in doing so doesn't excel at one aspect such as the 1090 or GSA and new prices and 2nd hand market values tell their own storey...surely if it was that good......

A seat of the pants test will tell you if it feels right but when others have gone to the trouble of testing a machine and documenting results and provided comments why waste time and energy going to a dealer to test a machine that you can already tell isn't what best suits your wants.

If you buy your bikes on feel then there is no argument because its purely your experience, I bought my LC GSA not actually liking it that much, but it made sense on paper, and I'm biased for boxer twins. It's only on the ride home coming down the woodhead pass into Glossop that I actually thought, yeah I've done the right thing up to that point I wasnt "feeling it" I was thinking I'd made a huge mistake and should have stuck with the 1150GSA.

Now I'm glad I changed, I like the AT I nearly bought one, but I just didn't make sense practically....but then I like most bikes no matter how little practical sense they make.

DCT takes nothing away from the riding experience.

Except it takes away arm ache from pulling the clutch all day...

Would that be that same clutch lever you wanted to be able to pull on the rocky soggy downhill that the DCT was ploughing you on down?:yelrotflm

Planning another offroad ride soon and have reccy'd some other trails that would be ideal for you and other mate who has only done ORS L1. I'll drop you an email in a bit with details.

Back
Top Bottom