1250 brake calipers

Engine Noise
My MY17 sounds like someone left a bunch of loose bolts inside, I guess having the cylinders hanging out it’s always going to be a bit noisier. I thought I read they changed the cam chain on the MY19. I’d like to see if someone could do a decibel test between the the 1200 & 1250.

I have ridden them back to back (no decibel test sorry) and mechanically it is definitely quieter and I think my 2018 was already the quietest I’ve owned. In fact mine has no rattles just a faint tapping.
The master tech did tell me it was an all new cam chain design. He did tell me what it was but it has left my brain already.
Yes the new engine is a bit smoother and a bit more powerful (I’m not a fast rider - I’m a fat rider). It is absolutely mechanically quieter. I just don’t see the where everyone is getting the excitement about how good it is. Maybe because I ride a 2018 so my gearbox and other bits are already a bit better than previous. There is very little new on the 1250 for me other than the engine.

I have ridden them back to back (no decibel test sorry) and mechanically it is definitely quieter and I think my 2018 was already the quietest I’ve owned. In fact mine has no rattles just a faint tapping.
The master tech did tell me it was an all new cam chain design. He did tell me what it was but it has left my brain already.
Yes the new engine is a bit smoother and a bit more powerful (I’m not a fast rider - I’m a fat rider). It is absolutely mechanically quieter. I just don’t see the where everyone is getting the excitement about how good it is. Maybe because I ride a 2018 so my gearbox and other bits are already a bit better than previous. There is very little new on the 1250 for me other than the engine.

But the engine is so much better , I have just changed up from a 16 plate so all the improvements made after , for me are great , the engine tho is so good.
Just done about 1000 miles now and the more I ride the better it gets.

But the engine is so much better , I have just changed up from a 16 plate so all the improvements made after , for me are great , the engine tho is so good.
Just done about 1000 miles now and the more I ride the better it gets.

Well I’ve seen the pictures of what you do to poor innocent tyres that were minding their own business.
I’m on a 2018GSA so I already have a good gearbox and clutch etc. For the way I ride mostly I can feel a difference in the new engine but it’s not a big difference for me. I think part of the transformation you are attributing to the engine are actually from the upgraded gearbox and transmission that came late 2017, early 2018.
You push it harder than I do so for you maybe it is a big improvement with the extra power.

Well I’ve seen the pictures of what you do to poor innocent tyres that were minding their own business.
I’m on a 2018GSA so I already have a good gearbox and clutch etc. For the way I ride mostly I can feel a difference in the new engine but it’s not a big difference for me. I think part of the transformation you are attributing to the engine are actually from the upgraded gearbox and transmission that came late 2017, early 2018.
You push it harder than I do so for you maybe it is a big improvement with the extra power.
The gear box and clutch on mine was great and to be honest as good as this one , it’s more the suspension and power that makes the diffrnce for me , it’s taken a few miles to get used to it (suspension) but love it now and the engine is superb
Did 300 miles today in wales , bloody great

The gear box and clutch on mine was great and to be honest as good as this one , it’s more the suspension and power that makes the diffrnce for me , it’s taken a few miles to get used to it (suspension) but love it now and the engine is superb

Fair enough. The suspension I’m still not sure if I prefer the older ESA. the auto levelling is great but road is too spongy and nausea inducing. It’s dynamic only

My last four bike I’ve rolled off the ferry in holly head with about 10km on the odometer and spend two days doing the break in on Welsh B roads. So many good empty roads.

Fair enough. The suspension I’m still not sure if I prefer the older ESA. the auto levelling is great but road is too spongy and nausea inducing. It’s dynamic only

My last four bike I’ve rolled off the ferry in holly head with about 10km on the odometer and spend two days doing the break in on Welsh B roads. So many good empty roads.

Roads are great , all sorts from nice sweepers to the back lanes of Tregaron etc . Roads the GS was designed for. I felt the same as you before that the old system esa was better as I always road in Dynamic , now Road seems to favour as it tightens up when pushed , I'm yet to try the Dynamic on a hard ride as with the road conditions I think a bit more feel from the road setting will be a bit safer and allow you to read / feel the changing grip as in dynamic the feel is somewhat reduced in favour of harder damping and hard compression.

Hayes are very popular brake manufacturers … in the push bike world :augie

Very true, equally if not more popular than British brand Hope Brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bike tested was the HP, i.e BMW racing colors with gold colored rims, and it had very low miles that required gentle handling of the engine.

It is a test bike, not a zimmer frame!

Do you think anybody before you, riding said bike, was as careful no to over-rev it, hold revs in low gear for longer then needed? I doubt it very much. Most guys who rode it before you probably have a “it’s a rental” attitude.

So long that tyres and brakes are scrubbed in, rest is.... well who cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a test bike, not a zimmer frame!

Do you think anybody before you, riding said bike, was as careful no to over-rev it, hold revs in low gear for longer then needed? I doubt it very much. Most guys who rode it before you probably have a “it’s a rental” attitude.

So long that tyres and brakes are scrubbed in, rest is.... well who cares.

You are probably right.

I guess I'll bring up my issue next time I see my shrink :beer:

Hey... next time you bugger off into Wales, invite me. :D

Brakes
My view is that unless you ride the 1200 & 1250 back to back with the same tyre package (including pressures) it is all just speculation regarding performance. Regarding the supposed cost saving, there is not a manufacturer that will not be looking to reduce costs if the same or better performance can be achieved. If you think they are making to much profit then cast your vote by buying a diffferent brand.

Engine Noise
My MY17 sounds like someone left a bunch of loose bolts inside, I guess having the cylinders hanging out it’s always going to be a bit noisier. I thought I read they changed the cam chain on the MY19. I’d like to see if someone could do a decibel test between the the 1200 & 1250.

I was lucky enough to ride them back to back last week and I can say the engine is definitely quieter. There isn't that clattering you get on the 1200LC.

It also has a bit more oomph throughout the rev range and is a stunning bike. I can also confirm the brakes work very, very well as we were getting on a bit at times.

Tried them, not as sharp as brembos,cheaper option.
As much as a fan of Brembo's and used them for years. I cant agree with your comment. I found the new brakes sharp and not as spongy as the Brembos a bit like my old racing bike callipers felt. Each to their own but the front brakes worked well for me whilst riding the new 1250.But like many i do agree its a cost saving exercise changing to mono block calipers.

As much as a fan of Brembo's and used them for years. I cant agree with your comment. I found the new brakes sharp and not as spongy as the Brembos a bit like my old racing bike callipers felt. Each to their own but the front brakes worked well for me whilst riding the new 1250.But like many i do agree its a cost saving exercise changing to mono block calipers.

They are bolted, by the looks of them, and - weren't the BMW ones also?

TBH - on the road, there is no benefit to going to monobloc calipers.

Back
Top Bottom