new phone

Pauly S

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So im an Android and Windows boy thru and thru,buttttt, i was persuaded to buy a macbook air a couple of years ago and to be honest, i dont know how to turn off and reboot the thing, i dont know where the reset button is, it doesnt crash,whereas My windows ibm thinkpad laptop on the other hand, i can reboot with my eyes closed,ive done it so many times which got me thinking, if the macbook is so good, why dont i try an i phone? The weapon of choice so far i can find is an iphone 6s. I like the the ability to use the headphone jack and i phone7 doesnt have one.So the question is , would you go for an iphone 6s or a galaxy s7. ive got a budget of 200 quid.odd I do drop my phones occasionaly and wouldnt want to chuck 700 quid at something which is easliy broken.To be fair my android htc one m8 has been very tough up to now, but a new battery is weighing in at 80 sobs,so its time for a new one.Your views please?:bow

I've had an iPhone for quite a while now, currently on the 8.

If I had to choose between your options I would always pick the iPhone.

A couple of things to be aware of though would be device support. Apple have a tendency to drop support for older devices at some point. I've just had a quick look and it seems like iOS 12, which is the latest incarnation of iOS is still supported on the 6s, so you look to be all good there.

Another very important thing to keep an eye on is the battery condition of the iPhones. I'm sure you may have heard that it was recently discovered that Apple had written a "feature" in to iOS that would essentially slow devices down once their batteries had reached a certain level of degradation. They claim it was a move designed to improve the overall endurance of ageing batteries. If you're going to be buying a second hand iPhone you will definitely want to see the condition of the battery before making the purchase. You can do this by going to Settings -- Battery -- Battery Health. This will show you the maximum supported capacity of the battery and it will also tell you whether the battery is still supporting normal peak performance.

Also, get a decent case for whatever you decide to go for. I have the official Apple iPhone case on mine currently and I'm certain it has saved me on more that one occasion from damaging my phone.

£200? Buy a new Moto G6 rather than some shonky used i-phone of unknown provenance

You can get a splitter thing that allows earphones and charging. I’m a iPhone fan. 7+. New one coming when the fuss dies down. Cos or whatever it’s called. JJH

£200? Buy a new Moto G6 rather than some shonky used i-phone of unknown provenance

Agreed. Bought a brand new Moto G6 Play a month or so ago for £149. Large battery, well built, Fantastic value.

Thanks for the input guys, the only thing which is a pain in the arse with lesser well known phones is the ability to gain accessories like bike mounts and charging cradles etc.BUt still, thanks for the replies.I think ill look round for a deal with a 6s and a new phone.although im still checking it all out to be honest.

Have a look at the iPhone SE. Same dimensions as the 6 but faster chip in it. If you go for the bigger iPhones they tend to be a bit more prone to damage due to hamfisted use.

Have a look at the iPhone SE. Same dimensions as the 6 but faster chip in it. If you go for the bigger iPhones they tend to be a bit more prone to damage due to hamfisted use.

yes i was steering clear of the plus models.good shout.

Well i followed your advice and went for a new i phone SE.Brand new with warranty 32gb unlocked £199 quid delivered from giff gaff.All the power and camera and battery etc of the 6s but in a five size package.Im happy with that, he says hoping....I didnt want a massive phone as they can tend to break easily, i can get ultimate add ons case for it and now i can use it as another sat nav alongside my garmin.I just need a sena and a new lid and im rocking! Thanks for your help guys. top stuff !

Back
Top Bottom