2010 GS Advice required

jamieb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m new here, and on the look out for an R1200GS. It’s going to be a daily bike, so I want to go as new and low mileage as possible within my 6k budget.

Unfortunately there’s nothing local so I’m looking at dealers online with the intention of getting the bike delivered and I’ve seen a bike that I really like. A 2010 with only 20k miles and the dealer has been really good, sending me videos and images, and this is when I notices some light corrosion around the rear axle as shown in the picture. There’s some other mild flaking of paint on the “crash bars” mostly underneath which leads me to think it’s had off road use (maybe aligns with the low miles too).

So I’m after advise as to whether it’s worth it (at 6.5k) or whether I should steer clear.

Thanks in advance
a85ba5c0fd768ba011ab31bccdc2233d.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 2010 will be a Twin Cam … Do you definitely want a TC ?

TC's for that sort of money tend to be a bit rough & ready unless you get lucky

For £6k or slightly less you could get a really nice 08-09 MU bike with luggage :thumby:

If the dealer is offering a 2010 at that price I wouldn't buy it unseen and without a test ride.

Maybe you could stretch your budget a tad (and haggle) and LincsGSer has a good looking 2010 GS advertised on here. Have a look in the for sale section. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment so don't rush in. Good luck with your search.

A 2010 will be a Twin Cam … Do you definitely want a TC ?

TC's for that sort of money tend to be a bit rough & ready unless you get lucky

For £6k or slightly less you could get a really nice 08-09 MU bike with luggage :thumby:

I’m not sure if I want a TwinCam or not. Maybe I need to do a bit more research.

What’s MU mean? Sorry for the bone questions.

If the dealer is offering a 2010 at that price I wouldn't buy it unseen and without a test ride.

Maybe you could stretch your budget a tad (and haggle) and LincsGSer has a good looking 2010 GS advertised on here. Have a look in the for sale section. It's definitely a buyer's market at the moment so don't rush in. Good luck with your search.

Ooooh. Nice pointer. I’ve made contact!

I’m not sure if I want a TwinCam or not. Maybe I need to do a bit more research.

What’s MU mean? Sorry for the bone questions.

Twin Cams (which came out in 2010) will fetch a premium over the earlier models

04-07 are basically the same bike then in 08 there was a MU (Model Upgrade) which is easy to spot as the bikes had the aluminium insert in the front section of the tank and grey rocker box covers. I believe I'm correct in saying that they got a slight power increase and an improved gearbox for those two model years :thumby:

Hi all,

I’m new here, and on the look out for an R1200GS. It’s going to be a daily bike, so I want to go as new and low mileage as possible within my 6k budget.

Unfortunately there’s nothing local so I’m looking at dealers online with the intention of getting the bike delivered and I’ve seen a bike that I really like. A 2010 with only 20k miles and the dealer has been really good, sending me videos and images, and this is when I notices some light corrosion around the rear axle as shown in the picture. There’s some other mild flaking of paint on the “crash bars” mostly underneath which leads me to think it’s had off road use (maybe aligns with the low miles too).

So I’m after advise as to whether it’s worth it (at 6.5k) or whether I should steer clear.

Thanks in advance
a85ba5c0fd768ba011ab31bccdc2233d.png

I’d steer clear of that one, corrosion far too bad in my opinion - you should buy my 2015, 30,000 mile bike from Balderston in Peterborough, it’s in far, far better condition that the one in your pic and will come with new tyres and a 2 year warranty.

I’d steer clear of that one, corrosion far too bad in my opinion - you should buy my 2015, 30,000 mile bike from Balderston in Peterborough, it’s in far, far better condition that the one in your pic and will come with new tyres and a 2 year warranty.

I'd love to, but if yours is the one I think it is, its over budget and doesn't have luggage!

You kind of answered the question yourself as if you already spotted that and not sure about it then you certainly wont be happy when the novelty wears off. Its pricey for a 2010 TC if its not mint I think even with luggage if it had it of course. I would look around as there are some mint bikes fully loaded for not much more.

Yeah, I think I was a bit too keen to start with. Ive done a bit more research now and I know what I can reasonably afford without stretching the budget too much.

Ahhh... now the dilemma has got even bigger. I decided to take a trip to Balderstone this afternoon to take a look at a mint 2012 GS Rallye. It was more than originally budgeted, but I was willing to go for it with the warranty and dealer backup etc. Unfortunately it was being sold as I walked in there and I was genuinely gutted. I’d already envisioned putting the deposit down.

Then because I was there I took a look around and sat on a couple of bikes (including yours “Engineer”) and that’s when it got serious. I took a 2014 out for a spin and loved it. It’s another 2k on top of the 2012 Rallye but I’m really thinking about dropping a deposit tomorrow. I like the extra tech and cruise control is something I’ve often wanted (and I use all the time in the car).

I’m thinking that’s it’s an investment. They hold their value pretty well and I can balance the commuter mileage with my little 250. Have I already convinced myself? Can anyone talk me out of it? Do I need a BMW warranty?

Ahhh... now the dilemma has got even bigger. I decided to take a trip to Balderstone this afternoon to take a look at a mint 2012 GS Rallye. It was more than originally budgeted, but I was willing to go for it with the warranty and dealer backup etc. Unfortunately it was being sold as I walked in there and I was genuinely gutted. I’d already envisioned putting the deposit down.

Then because I was there I took a look around and sat on a couple of bikes (including yours “Engineer”) and that’s when it got serious. I took a 2014 out for a spin and loved it. It’s another 2k on top of the 2012 Rallye but I’m really thinking about dropping a deposit tomorrow. I like the extra tech and cruise control is something I’ve often wanted (and I use all the time in the car).

I’m thinking that’s it’s an investment. They hold their value pretty well and I can balance the commuter mileage with my little 250. Have I already convinced myself? Can anyone talk me out of it? Do I need a BMW warranty?

I've had my moneys worth many times over on my 2010 RT and it still has a year left on the warranty. Therefore I'm definitely fully behind the AUB warranty. Sounds to me like you're making a good decision. I don't the the LC GS's everywhere in Scotland for nothing. Any pics?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Shame you don't fancy a Twin Cam GSA Triple Black with luggage ?

Got a mate in the trade who is just taking in a 2012 bike with 1500 miles on the clock :eek:

He's looking for £9500

Shame you don't fancy a Twin Cam GSA Triple Black with luggage ?

Got a mate in the trade who is just taking in a 2012 bike with 1500 miles on the clock :eek:

He's looking for £9500

Mate who works for BMW? Where’s it going to be?

In fact, I just re-read and noticed hijab said GSA. I’m too short for one of those!!

In fact, I just re-read and noticed hijab said GSA. I’m too short for one of those!!

Also autocorrected to Hijab. Doesn’t even make sense!

Back
Top Bottom