First BT headset advice please.

red1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought an RT and would like a basic BT headset to connect to Nav5 and OEM audio. Also have a cellphone so if that will connect that's a bonus but not a deal breaker.
Spotted Sena 3s for around £90 and looks ok but would like some input from seasoned users and any options. Going to be fitted to a Neotec 1.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

I use a Sena SMH 5, mainly for music connected to a Nav V but also for bike to bike comms and the occasional phone call. Range isn't great but usually good enough.

Can't comment on the 3S but - whatever you get pair your phone to your Nav V as a phone then pair the Nav V to your Sena as a phone. No need to connect the phone to the headset. That way the Nav V controls the phone functions, making it easier to see the functions. Pairing the phone to the headset means you have to use the phone for making calls.

With the 3S you can't easily use it on another helmet (not an issue if you only use one helmet). With most of the other Senas you can buy a spare mic & speaker set up, fit that into another helmet and just swap over the control unit. It takes 30 seconds.
The speakers on the 3S contain the battery and look a bit on the thick side, worth thinking about especially if the recess for the speaker in the helmet (should there be one) isn't too deep.
3S pairs with other Sena units only, so if your mates have something else then it won't pair with them.

On the whole it looks pretty good, nice and slim.

If you have audio, I tried pairing the BT to the Nav V and also paired the BT to the bike, phone kept dropping out of the Nav V pairing. So went for the option of pairing the phone direct to the BT (I use my BT headset on different bikes with different Navs. If you then Pair the BT to the bike audio, if you have the audio on or in aux, the Nav instructions come through to the BT headset. So you don't need to pair to the Nav as well. That is the setup I now use, but as stated earlier, disadvantage is you can't control the phone through the Nav V. But as I only take calls the setup above works better for me.

I recently bought this .............................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PKECDXI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mainly because I was not sure I would like music in my ears after years of not having it. I didn't want to pay a lot in case I could not get on with it either.

Connected no probs with my Garmin 390LM and my Android HTC. Minimal buttons and so simple to use.
Quite pleased really it being so cheap. I don't ride in big groups so not bothered about an intercom to 10 other people.
The clip-on thing it comes with is pony but the sticky-on bit is very good.
I have a flip up Shark Evo and I had to trim out the ear spaces provided in the lid as they were slightly undersized for the speakers and re-position the controller part as well when I initially stuck it too close to the front were it fouled the flip front on closing.

Overall, very impressed and not a fortune if you don't like it.

As with most of these things you need to be able to select it to connect so whatever you are connecting too needs a display you can read.

I recently bought this .............................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PKECDXI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mainly because I was not sure I would like music in my ears after years of not having it. I didn't want to pay a lot in case I could not get on with it either.

Connected no probs with my Garmin 390LM and my Android HTC. Minimal buttons and so simple to use.
Quite pleased really it being so cheap. I don't ride in big groups so not bothered about an intercom to 10 other people.
The clip-on thing it comes with is pony but the sticky-on bit is very good.
I have a flip up Shark Evo and I had to trim out the ear spaces provided in the lid as they were slightly undersized for the speakers and re-position the controller part as well when I initially stuck it too close to the front were it fouled the flip front on closing.

Overall, very impressed and not a fortune if you don't like it.

As with most of these things you need to be able to select it to connect so whatever you are connecting too needs a display you can read.

Hmm I tried those initially. I have 3 of them, but seem to remember I had to pair them each time I turned them on!

On the same topic, I’ve just bought an Interphone Tour headset and I’m using that with a Nav 5 and a Sony mobile phone. The bikes a GS. On the Nav 5 Bluetooth is activated and it’s showing that the phone and Tour are connected. I can use the Nav 5 for calls and it’s working a treat with audio coming through to the Tour loud and clear.
Unfortunately if I set a destination in the Nav 5 I’m not getting any instructions through to the Tour, anyone any ideas. I’ve no doubt it’s something incredibly simple��

Possibly "mute" is set on the Nav, scroll through the settings till you find the mute, and make sure its not checked, It does that on my Nav 6

I bought the Sena 3s and have to say that fitting was a doodle and it paired with bike and phone very easily and nav, phone and audio work great. The unit is hardly noticeable on the side of my helmet and up to now it's a very good buy for £80

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

There are a couple of versions of the 3s. That version on your link is for open Face helmets and the BT module is built into the boom mike. Of you look carefully you can see the buttons. My version is the 3s-wb with the BT module that sticks to the side of the helmet. All priced the same.
just to be sure, does this system have the BT module as well as headset, or is just the headset? Not clear from the description and price makes me think it's just the headset

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sena-3S-...h=item4b47a1aa57:g:2C0AAOSwPvRbN0Ke:rk:8:pf:0

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6 using Tapatalk

Sean 10R / Tomtom 400, does it pair successfully?

Like the OP, I'm looking at my first BT after years with Autocom which was OK initially but has got crackly and intermittent. So, looking at the 10R to be used with an iphone 5s and a Tomtom 400.

TT give a list of headsets that have been tested with various Sena's and 'approve' the 20S. I checked with Sena last night and they say that the 20S and the 10R ue the same profile, whatever that means, so the 10R should pair successfully.

That's very nice to hear apart from the fact that if I buy the 10R and it doesn't work I can't return it...

So has anyone on here successfully paired the TT400/Sena 10R combo please?

*Excuse the typo on the heading, digital dyslexia...

These are brilliant if you want fairly simple functionality, I have the Q1 which is similar, and has a FM radio as well. I demo'd a R1200RT with a radio recently, and it connected to the bikes radio no problem.

RBW.

As a first Bluetooth headset, the Scarla Cardo QZ will work well for you without risking several hundred pounds.

This one - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scala-Ride...=UTF8&qid=1544448582&sr=8-1&keywords=scala+qz

I just happen to have a little used one for sale... Yours for £50 inc postage?

Back
Top Bottom