Filled with diesel by mistake

A long (8 foot) length of half inch clear pipe will do. When putting pipe in tank blow trough it that will let you hear when end of pipe is in the diesel. The clear plastic will let you see the diesel coming. JJH

Into the air intake at front of bike. Mine was a 800 gsa. Two inlets at front of bike. If I remember only 1 is connected. Could be totally different in your bike. Shouldn’t be too hard to find. JJH

Cant even get the end of the pipe into the diesel. I put £10 worth in, so just less than a third full (GSA). The tank must have a lowest point that I can't reach with the pipe! Cant hear any liquid rubbing when I blow, and most of the time the pipe comes out dry.

Other option is to fill with unleaded and hope it mixes/dilutes, but that could be an even more expensive mistake.

Diesel in a petrol is not too bad - lots of smoke, with a third of a tank of diesel, fill it with petrol and visit your brother in wales today

Petrol in a diesel bad bad news and lots of money especially if you ran it.

Diesel in a petrol is not too bad - lots of smoke, with a third of a tank of diesel, fill it with petrol and visit your brother in wales today

I reckon my problem is that because I ran it, I now have diesel in the fuel lines that needs purging through. Not sure if brimming tank with unleaded will result in drained battery with repeated attempts to start the engine whilst the diesel is drawn through?

Done this twice on my GS:blast..Syphon what you can out, fill to brim with super unleaded, shake and ride..jobs a carrot:thumb2

I reckon my problem is that because I ran it, I now have diesel in the fuel lines that needs purging through. Not sure if brimming tank with unleaded will result in drained battery with repeated attempts to start the engine whilst the diesel is drawn through?

Drain it by disconnecting the fuel line, then fill the tank with unleaded and connect your battery to a running bike with a set of jump leads so that you don't kill your battery. Try not to fry your starter either, give it a rest every few attempts

This assumes of course that you have a friend (and that they own a bike)

Up to about 20% petrol in diesel you will get away with. JJH

Not me :p but my identical twin brother who shares my 2009 GSA put 6L of diesel into the empty tank by mistake, and he didn't realise until engine cut out further down the road.

So whats the best way for m̶e̶ him to drain the tank, and what else needs doing?

Cant even get the end of the pipe into the diesel. I put £10 worth in, so just less than a third full (GSA). The tank must have a lowest point that I can't reach with the pipe! Cant hear any liquid rubbing when I blow, and most of the time the pipe comes out dry.

Other option is to fill with unleaded and hope it mixes/dilutes, but that could be an even more expensive mistake.

Disconnect the fuel return pipe, remove the Q/D (or fit a female Q/D if you have a spare and turn the engine over. this will pump the fuel out of the tank..

When no more diesel flows out fill with petrol...

Or leave it as it is and simply fill the tank with petrol. You've, sorry, your brother, has only put in 6 ltrs, the tight fisted sod, so by filling the tank it'll be diluted enough to run, maybe a bit smokey for a few miles, but keep adding petrol to dilute it all the while... a benefit is the diesel fuel will lube the fuel pump and make it last longer..:D

If you have 6 liters in there you should be able to get at least 4 or 5 liters out. By tilting the bike right over on its side you should get most of the offending liquid over to one side and that should make it easier. Now let’s do some sums. My 2009 gsa was able to hold 36 liters of petrol. If there was 6 liters of diesel put in that leaves a further capacity of 30 liters. So by my estimation if you fill up with petrol you will have only 20 % diesel if you fill up with petrol. The more diesel you remove the better. IF IT WERE MY BIKE And I COULDNT GET ANY OF THE DIESEL OUT ID CHANCE IT. I cannot imagine myself not been able to get out a good drop of the diesel. I’m a chancer. Remember the disc drilling admissions? JJH

If running the bike on diesel you must notify your insurance company of any modifications!!! JJH

landscape-1501671506-13987624-10154460222904776-1903356204262773421-o.jpg

You can't tackle a fuelling job like this without fuel.

Alternatively .. remove the fuel tank, remove the fuel cap and filler neck, up-end fuel tank over a bucket.
(Remove all polyester clothing too maybe!)

Mate, hi Gav, filled his 955i with diseisl; he has several cars that run on the stuff, easy mistake to do.

I unbolted tank and lines dumped £25 of fuel and pushed bike back to pumps and filled up with super unleaded.

Smoke for about 40 miles.

With 6L of wrong fuel, I'd get him to fill your gsa to the brim with super unleaded, that'd teach him.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom