Filled with diesel by mistake

Is this where I need to be looking for the fuel return pipe...

gs_tank_qd_id.jpg

Immediately below the arrow that says 'FRONT HIGH PRESSURE OUTPUT' is the QD you need. Squeeze the metal do-hickey that is shrouded by the black plastic shield and it will pull apart. However, you'll need a second female QD to reconnect as they stop the flow when disconnected.

You could always telephone the nice man at the AA.....

Thats the defeatist attitude i'm famous for, but this time around I want to sort it myself :)

Immediately below the arrow that says 'FRONT HIGH PRESSURE OUTPUT' is the QD you need. Squeeze the metal do-hickey that is shrouded by the black plastic shield and it will pull apart. However, you'll need a second female QD to reconnect as they stop the flow when disconnected.

Brill, thanks. Do motor spar parts shops sell the QD's? If not Ill grab one from eBay.

Should it be the return pipe, or the supply pipe I disconnect? Steppers mentioned the return pipe.

Brill, thanks. Do motor spar parts shops sell the QD's? If not Ill grab one from eBay.

I'm not sure that they are a universal fit. I'd get one from your Beemer dealer to be sure.

Should it be the return pipe, or the supply pipe I disconnect? Steppers mentioned the return pipe.

So he did. I'm not sure why. He may have been having a brain fart or simply has a cunning plan.....

I'm not sure that they are a universal fit. I'd get one from your Beemer dealer to be sure.

So he did. I'm not sure why. He may have been having a brain fart or simply has a cunning plan.....

It's a 1200, unlike your pictures which show an 1100/1150.

There's no need to buy a female Q/D, just hold down the plunger end on the male return Q/D with your finger/small screwdriver etc (nore for Greg, you can't do this with the female output Q/D)....

There's no need to buy a female Q/D, just hold down the plunger end on the male return Q/D with your finger/small screwdriver etc (nore for Greg, you can't do this with the female output Q/D)....

How dare you?

I've never shoved anything up a male end in my life!!

:dabone

Up to about 20% petrol in diesel you will get away with. JJH

It's common practice in the depths of winter in Russia to add petrol to the diesel tanks of trucks to prevent the fuel from solidifying.

Usually 10% petrol to 90% diesel.

Then, when it gets really, really cold, fires are lit underneath the fuel tanks and burn for as long as the truck is parked up.
It is the only way to guarantee the truck will start in the morning.......

Freaked me out when I first saw it !

I did it with my t max but realised at the end I had used Shell V diesel rather than Shell V unleaded:eek:

Whichever brainiac at Shell decided to put a green handle on their diesel pump wants shooting. It happens a lot, apparently. :augie

I did it once in my alamhra diesel filling with engine running. I'd just collected Mrs from hospital. Realised after 38 euros gone in. Thats about 25 liters. I got him to switch on the diesel pump and filled it up. Boy did she run bad. Very quiet though. Very hard to start. As soon as the fuel level went down I filled up again with about 15 liters. You would notice that she still wasnt right. No long term damage though. JJH

Treated the wife’s Diesel Leon to 7 litres of shells best petrol.
Despite being lifelong gold card AA member, they wanted over 240 quid to drain it! I had them tow the car home and drained it myself using an oil suction bit of kit.
Filled with diesel and had no issues, hadn’t started the car btw.

Green flag does not charge for mis#fuelling iirc

Be thankful it was a AA, the RAC doesn't do motorbikes if you misfuel, even thought unless it's something like a gsa it's only going to be a couple of litres.

Unless you've selected (paided for) the misfuelling option they won't help.

Treated the wife’s Diesel Leon to 7 litres of shells best petrol.
Despite being lifelong gold card AA member, they wanted over 240 quid to drain it! I had them tow the car home and drained it myself using an oil suction bit of kit.
Filled with diesel and had no issues, hadn’t started the car btw.

Green flag does not charge for mis#fuelling iirc

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Syphon whatever you can. Fill with petrol. Spray some easy start into air intake and start engine. Keep spraying till the fresh petrol gets into lines and the engine runs on its oWn. JJH

+1. Coughs and splutters and farts for a while but sorts itself out. No problem with plugs, filters or anything else. Btw, my err, error, was also Shell. Lady in the shop told me it happens all the time which was reassuring.....not.

Diesel into a petrol engine is usually less harmful than petrol into a diesel. Neither are good if the tank was low and you brimmed it! :eek:

Back in the mid 1990s a workmate brimmed petrol into a Peugeot 505 turbo diesel and drove from Glasgow to the Midlands. He said, "it seemed a bit noisy". But he arrived and the car carried on for many thousands more miles as a salesman's work tool . I'm not sure today's common rail hyper pressure fuel systems would cope as well.

I bunged £12 of diesel into my Sierra Cosworth back in 1991, ..... “I was driving by, when you were draining the diesel out!”

A direct correlation I think....If I was driving by a garage in 1991 and someone was draining fuel out of a Cosworth my inner green eyed monster would take great light in mocking them profusely to a chorus of a Nelson "Ha Ha", would be a very memorable moment indeed.

Whichever brainiac at Shell decided to put a green handle on their diesel pump wants shooting. It happens a lot, apparently. :augie

I had that same problem a few years ago when I used a green handled diesel line to fill my KTM 525EXC. Once I was finished I realised my mistake, pushed it to the end of the forecourt, tipped the bike on its side and emptied most of it into the rose bed. I then went back to the pump and filled it with petrol. It smoked and coughed a bit but went fine. A GS is a bit bigger and heavier than my 525 was.

Back
Top Bottom