Filled with diesel by mistake

Treated the wife’s Diesel Leon to 7 litres of shells best petrol.
Despite being lifelong gold card AA member, they wanted over 240 quid to drain it! I had them tow the car home and drained it myself using an oil suction bit of kit.
Filled with diesel and had no issues, hadn’t started the car btw.

Green flag does not charge for mis#fuelling iirc

With 7 liters you could have filled the tank with diesel and just drive it JJH

Managed to drain the tank by using a narrower pipe. Still wasn't easy to get the end of the pipe into the diesel at the bottom of the tank, I guess the inside of the tank is shaped funny? The thin pipe is probably curling up once it hits the inside of the tank? Managed to get about 7 litres out. Can still hear a tiny bit slushing about but I've got out as much as i could. Now to make a few trips with the fuel can to get the right fuel this time.

Oh, and I'm getting a bit of a headache from all the sucking I've been doing in the garage :eek:

I know extra petrol costs, but roadside assists will do a siphon then fill with a half a gallon of petrol to dilute the remaining (rock the bike) then siphon again, followed by a full tank to mix any remaining before you start the engine. If the engine hasn't been turned over, you'll not even get a puff of smoke. And as has been said, the bigger issue is petrol in a diesel.

My imaginary friend/colleague/somebody I know but not me misfuelled their bike but didn't start the engine. Above procedure resulted in no sign of smoke and the bike didn't miss a beat.

Could put in some fuel additive as well?

Guilty of doing the same with a twin cam and an lc . Both times syphoned off the bad stuff,filled with good stuff and restarted the engine.never had any problems,the twin cam covered another 30k miles and the lc a further 10 k. The smoke on restart for the first couple of minutes was spectacular but that was all.

Put anything you like in. Fuel additive waste of money. Except for stabilizer which stops fuel going off over winter in lawnmowers. There’s one on the market that works equally well in petrol diesel and kerosene aledgly. Load of bollocks. Money back if it doesn’t work. Just return the product for a full refund. JJH

Put anything you like in. Fuel additive waste of money. Except for stabilizer which stops fuel going off over winter in lawnmowers. There’s one on the market that works equally well in petrol diesel and kerosene aledgly. Load of bollocks. Money back if it doesn’t work. Just return the product for a full refund. JJH
1L of methylated spirits into a tank of petrol, bonds with any water, increases octane rating and slows deterioration of fuel.

It is also cheaper too !

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

My awesome steed was purchased from a member of this parish who once brimmed it with diesel in France. Luckily he didn't start it but drained the tank, using the (disconnected) fuel pump to clear the lines. The bike was tipped up to get all of the diesel out of the tank and he changed the plugs.

Full up with petrol, it made a bit of smoke for a while but is now on the cusp of 80,000 miles and still going strong.

On his return to the UK, said Tosser filled his (diesel) Golf with petrol, just to restore the balance.

I won't name and shame.....

Brimmed, does not fully enough emphasise the quantity.

A bit of smoke? That’s like saying Putin is a bit dodgy. The grand fleet ‘making smoke’ pales into insignificance by comparison

dd0f32a690fc6542bc5163a35c67d87c.png

I knew I was in dangerous territory with that postscript. :D

Managed to drain the tank by using a narrower pipe. Still wasn't easy to get the end of the pipe into the diesel at the bottom of the tank, I guess the inside of the tank is shaped funny? The thin pipe is probably curling up once it hits the inside of the tank? Managed to get about 7 litres out. Can still hear a tiny bit slushing about but I've got out as much as i could. Now to make a few trips with the fuel can to get the right fuel this time.

Oh, and I'm getting a bit of a headache from all the sucking I've been doing in the garage :eek:

Looking at the pipe there appears to be a big black thing on it. It looks like a yoke that you squeeze and let go squeeze and let go a few times to start a syphon going. No need to suck. JJH

If you have petrol in the tank now is the time to deploy the starter spray (usually either based) into the air intake. Do it outside. Very smokey. JJH

Yes but the pump doesn't suck enough to bring the fuel out, its too small. I ended up putting my lips around the end and sucking until it squirted.

Yes but the pump doesn't suck enough to bring the fuel out, its too small. I ended up putting my lips around the end and sucking until it squirted.

You should have filled up the pipe with petrol beforehand. Oh well never mind. Your nearly done. JJH

Back
Top Bottom