Filled with diesel by mistake

Thats exactly what i did:blast

Yep, me too. Got my farmer mate to siphon it out, filled with super unleaded and rode off.... bit smoky for 10 miles but then all good.:D at the BP station too...:blast

The filter built into the pump housing holds a fair amount of FUEL.
This is a non replaceable filter as it comes as part of the pump.
As previously suggested best to disconnect the return line on the top of the tank and remove the quick disconnect fitting add a piece of hose to a jar.
cycle the ignition a number of times until the diesel is cleared from the filter.pipes & pressure regulator.

This is a non replaceable filter as it comes as part of the pump.
As previously suggested best to disconnect the return line on the top of the tank and remove the quick disconnect fitting add a piece of hose to a jar.
cycle the ignition a number of times until the diesel is cleared from the filter.pipes & pressure regulator.

How accessible is the return line? Is it a tank off job, or just removing body panels?

Just remove the panels left hand side as you sit on the bike There are 2 pipes 1 delivery 1 return.
The return is the one that has NOT had the BMW bodge done to it ( BMW bodge = steel sleeve pressed onto / around the boss where it exits the tank)

Just remove the panels left hand side as you sit on the bike There are 2 pipes 1 delivery 1 return.
The return is the one that has NOT had the BMW bodge done to it ( BMW bodge = steel sleeve pressed onto / around the boss where it exits the tank)

Thanks, Ill give it a go when I get home from work.

Haynes manual !

Other ones are also available for purchase.

ukgser is my Haynes manual

It's also the only one that cracked on my bike BEFORE the BMW bodge was applied. The left hand side was fine.

How is it that BMW Motorrad can happily mess it up when car fuel tanks (including BMWs) just don't have leaks at the petrol tank connectors.

Unplug the fuel injector connections while cycling the ignition. This stops any diesel fuel being pumped through the injectors into the cylinders.

Right, im back home with my bike.

I assume this is the fuel return pipe that I've disconnected? Pressing the nozzle in doesn't really release any fuel. Does that mean its the supply pipe?

And is this the electrical connector on the fuel injector, or is it the one further down?

The injector connector that you have hold of is right.
Just press that wire clip in and pull the connector off. Do both sides.
The quick disconnect that you have undone on the tank is the pressure / delivery side.
I should have read your post from the start ( its a GSA) so the return is the Quick disconnect on the right hand side of the tank as it drives the transfer pump.
You will need to remove the clip and take the fitting of the end of the pipe or find a piece of tube the right size to fit into it to release the fuel.

Probably stating the obvious but I assume that you used your siphon gadget to get the diesel out of both sides of the tank.

If, bear was serious he'd replace the hexhead with an 1150 so that he could benefit from all the advice provide.

You really cannot help some people.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks. I’ll have a look at removing the correct pipe tomorrow. As for draining both sides of the tank, I have no idea as I couldn’t really control where the pipe went once it entered the tank. I did however drain about 7 litres, which is probably as much fuel as was in there.

Ok, thanks. I’ll have a look at removing the correct pipe tomorrow. As for draining both sides of the tank, I have no idea as I couldn’t really control where the pipe went once it entered the tank. I did however drain about 7 litres, which is probably as much fuel as was in there.

So just fill it with petrol and go for a ride, might cough and splutter a bit, but should eventually run OK, and take a jump starter with you in case it stalls, as to not flatten the battery.

Back
Top Bottom