Filled with diesel by mistake

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
Not me :p but my identical twin brother who shares my 2009 GSA put 6L of diesel into the empty tank by mistake, and he didn't realise until engine cut out further down the road.

So whats the best way for m̶e̶ him to drain the tank, and what else needs doing?

Fuel system will need flushing through there might be some damage to the fuel pump filter will need replacing, it will be reassuringly expensive.
Oh yes and give your brother a slap.

My awesome steed was purchased from a member of this parish who once brimmed it with diesel in France. Luckily he didn't start it but drained the tank, using the (disconnected) fuel pump to clear the lines. The bike was tipped up to get all of the diesel out of the tank and he changed the plugs.

Full up with petrol, it made a bit of smoke for a while but is now on the cusp of 80,000 miles and still going strong.

On his return to the UK, said Tosser filled his (diesel) Golf with petrol, just to restore the balance.

I won't name and shame.....

Dead easy - in fact, you should bring the bike into the living room, and do it on the carpet.

I did it with my t max but realised at the end I had used Shell V diesel rather than Shell V unleaded:eek: I called one of those fuel Doctors who come and suck out all the fuel with an electric syphon . I hadn’t started it. Cost £160 :eek: but to get to the tank is a big job on a t max. Once drained I filled up with shell super and off I went , not even a whiff of smoke

Attachments

• FD897B5E-C0CE-4A6C-AEB8-92E58E696E1B.jpg
    FD897B5E-C0CE-4A6C-AEB8-92E58E696E1B.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 766
  • 10BAB282-12CF-4D42-AA77-912FB5E48412.jpg
    10BAB282-12CF-4D42-AA77-912FB5E48412.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 776
I bunged £12 of diesel into my Sierra Cosworth back in 1991, in my local town.........

At the time, my cousin inserted an ad in the local paper for “Cosworth Diesel Conversions - performance with economy” and my contact details.... :blast

Then, a month ago - I was out in the North Sea and talking to a lad from the same town. Never met him before, and he said: “I was driving by, when you were draining the diesel out!” Jeeeez!!!! 27 feckin years!!!!!

My awesome steed was purchased from a member of this parish who once brimmed it with diesel in France. Luckily he didn't start it but drained the tank, using the (disconnected) fuel pump to clear the lines. The bike was tipped up to get all of the diesel out of the tank and he changed the plugs.

Full up with petrol, it made a bit of smoke for a while but is now on the cusp of 80,000 miles and still going strong.

On his return to the UK, said Tosser filled his (diesel) Golf with petrol, just to restore the balance.

I won't name and shame.....

Why did he change the plugs? JJH

Not me :p but my identical twin brother who shares my 2009 GSA put 6L of diesel into the empty tank by mistake, and he didn't realise until engine cut out further down the road.

So whats the best way for m̶e̶ him to drain the tank, and what else needs doing?

Syphon whatever you can. Fill with petrol. Spray some easy start into air intake and start engine. Keep spraying till the fresh petrol gets into lines and the engine runs on its own. That’s what I did after putting 27 liters of diesel into my 800 gsa. JJH

Syphon whatever you can. Fill with petrol. Spray some easy start into air intake and start engine. Keep spraying till the fresh petrol gets into lines and the engine runs on its own. That’s what I did after putting 27 liters of diesel into my 800 gsa. JJH

Sorry I ment for your brother to do it. Mabey you could give him a hand. JJH

Just failed at syphoning it out. Put a pipe down to the bottom of the tank, with other end into a tub on the floor, then put a 2nd shorter pipe just sticking into the tank, sealed the filler hole with cling film and blew into the shorter pipe thinking it might pressurise it and allow fuel to flow out. Nope!!!

Back
Top Bottom