Lower the pegs, or raise the seat?

JayKay

Reaction score
Hi,
I’m riding an F650GS twin, which is lowered, with a standard seat.

I am 5’5” but quite a bit of that is leg, ie 31” inseam. So my reach, from seat to bars is quite short. I have a 20mm riser on the handlebars, and the bars tipped towards me, to help.

I love being able to get my feet down so well, it gives me huge confidence in gravelly carparks, stopping on steep cambers and hills etc, all of which there are plenty of round here - I just don’t have to worry about them. I also like that the bike is comparatively light, compared to OH’s R1200GS for example.

However. My legs are too ‘folded’, which I would like to solve. A friend has suggested I solve it by getting a 1200GS! However a) I can’t afford it for now and anyway b) the 1200 feels like too much of a bike - too big and heavy.

If I put a comfort seat on, I get the additional advantage of a more comfortable seat, but it will raise up my bum compared with the handlebars and therefore cause me to be leaning forward more, which my back and wrists won’t like (I can probably manage the slightly increased distance to the floor)

So lowering the pegs seemed like a good plan instead. But when I look, it seems that the pegs barely avoid fouling the sidestand as it is, let alone if they are lowered - I was looking at the Wunderlich Ergo kit.

Anyone lowered the pegs on an F650GS and solved the sidestand issue? Or have another way I could stretch out my legs a bit?

For a start fastway-footpegs -
https://www.nippynormans.com/fastwa...650gs700gs800gs-twins-r1150gsadv-r1200gsadvlc

You could drop the front forks an inch or so in there clamps.

I also have Rox Antivibration Risers on my 650GS SE
But did have to get a longer brake pipe made.

Standard seat.

I was also lucky enough to get a low shock, sidestand & sidestand mount from a low version f700gs with very low miles covered.
The lower sidestand has a different mount than the standard sidestand, that I only found out as it came with the lower shock & stand I bought.

So I now technically have low version ( other than the stock full stand ) which now suits my needs..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1534636966852.jpg
    FB_IMG_1534636966852.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 174
  • FB_IMG_1539109075033.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539109075033.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 158
  • FB_IMG_1539109063116.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539109063116.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 169
Hi,
I’m riding an F650GS twin, which is lowered, with a standard seat.

I am 5’5” but quite a bit of that is leg, ie 31” inseam. So my reach, from seat to bars is quite short. I have a 20mm riser on the handlebars, and the bars tipped towards me, to help.

I love being able to get my feet down so well, it gives me huge confidence in gravelly carparks, stopping on steep cambers and hills etc, all of which there are plenty of round here - I just don’t have to worry about them. I also like that the bike is comparatively light, compared to OH’s R1200GS for example.

However. My legs are too ‘folded’, which I would like to solve. A friend has suggested I solve it by getting a 1200GS! However a) I can’t afford it for now and anyway b) the 1200 feels like too much of a bike - too big and heavy.

If I put a comfort seat on, I get the additional advantage of a more comfortable seat, but it will raise up my bum compared with the handlebars and therefore cause me to be leaning forward more, which my back and wrists won’t like (I can probably manage the slightly increased distance to the floor)

So lowering the pegs seemed like a good plan instead. But when I look, it seems that the pegs barely avoid fouling the sidestand as it is, let alone if they are lowered - I was looking at the Wunderlich Ergo kit.

Anyone lowered the pegs on an F650GS and solved the sidestand issue? Or have another way I could stretch out my legs a bit?

I had a Comfort Seat on mine (inside leg 29") with Fastway pegs from Nippy.
I have fitted a set of these to all my BM`s - 1150, 1200, 650, WC - I suppose a sensible person might have just used the same pair on all four bikes.
These are a reasonable price (why else would I buy four pairs?) offer a broad base and option to lower about 20mm.
FYI I did not screw in the studs on any as there has always been enough grip.
And a good first post - Welcome!

I had a Comfort Seat on mine (inside leg 29") with Fastway pegs from Nippy.
I have fitted a set of these to all my BM`s - 1150, 1200, 650, WC - I suppose a sensible person might have just used the same pair on all four bikes.
These are a reasonable price (why else would I buy four pairs?) offer a broad base and option to lower about 20mm.
FYI I did not screw in the studs on any as there has always been enough grip.
And a good first post - Welcome!

I'm the same, have a set on the XC, 650GS & a spare set incase another steed comes along. :blast

I do take all but the 3 centre studs out, just so my feet don't slip off as wet rubber & smooth metal are not going bed fellows ;)

Back
Top Bottom