Anyone test-ridden the new 1250 GS yet ?

@GADGET;that is a very honest review and already true if you ride an older R1200LC...:thumb
That is exactly what I thought when I rode my buddies on paper way superior 1290 GT.
@Arsey;you are right when it comes to the US.But in mexico outside town you are free to go as fast as you want...and then some:thumb
But please don't talk shit about forks that caused a crash and killed a journalist that obviously was not as good as he though he was trying to show off...in todays litigious society BMW would have had to pay millions.There was nothing wrong with forks or instability.Only for the 1% who used it in extreme off-road situations they got an extra ring or an extra 4 points or later circumvent tightening method.For the 99% of the GS street riders who ride also some unpaved roads absolutely no need for it.
@ EVskij;I already have a R9T but the Urban G/S still tempts me.Good looking bike and GS-LC spokes that are sturdier and can take potholes without bending.With H-B Xceed aluminum boxes and Ohlins cartridge/shock a R 80 G/S with twice the power and real brakes...:thumby:
I'm tempted as I found 2 used ones with less than 2000 miles 25% off...
I don't need one but I want one...;)
It's funny how you had the same feeling as the R9T is for me maybe the funnest motorcycle experience period...

I tested the 1250 today and I do currently have a KTM 1290 SD GT, This was the first time I had ridden the WC Boxer engine and I was amazed how much go it had compared with my previous Hexhead and Twin cam GS bikes, okay its down on power compared to the GT, but in the real world on a bumpy country road the is no way the GT would stay with the 1250. I didn't want to like the 1250 as much as I did, so the question for myself is do I want to buy one? I guess I really ought to try the 1290 Adventure first and if KTM reduce the price of the over the Winter, which they did previously with the GT, then that will be another tempting factor.

…...already some good deals out there: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-1290...162898?hash=item2f24b2d612:g:2mEAAOSwq2JbmROz

fantastic value compared to the new 1250 Shit Cams :augie

Saw that particular advert Paul, I’ve got a private buyer for my GT, so im in a good position not having to PX, and am in no rush to buy myself, so Im holding out for the possibility of an ever lower price come December.🙂

So, I rode 1250 today GS. Much more manageable than my GSA but that is a known.
Bike is certainly more spirited and actually felt much better than I expected it to be. No new bike novelty here as I used to have standard GS, albeit with spiked wheels. Cast wheels are my future choice.
Motor- quieter than GSA, nice roll on through the Rev range and very smooth.
Shiftcam- you can tell when it is happening, as ride in 2nd at 30-35 mph doing around 2800-3200rpm roll it on without shifting and at 4250-4600rpm there is a “backfire” pop from exhaust #addictive!. Same in 3rd-4th.....
GSAP. Much more Smoother than my EU4 ‘17 GSA especially from 1st - 2nd. Very happy with that.
Not had previous experience with TFT but was happy to experience it.
Love the look of exclusive with its black bits like luggage rack, handle bars, rear subframe & gloss black wheels.
Noticed that new heads have shallower fins on the front, which is very welcome for cleaning purposes compared to outgoing motor.
Most bike in the dealer network come with SOS thingy, that I am happy not to have it and instead spend money on a long weekend trip away.
Keyless ride apparently now standard and you no longer able to buy GS with normal key, another option I would be happy not to specify on a new bike.

Things I do not like:

Rear tray under pillion seat on exclusive should’ve been black from factory to finish off the look of the bike. Same applies to pillion foot rest hangers.

Side panels on the tank are “soft” feeling stickers that will get scuffed to death in a week and would need to be clear coated or protection film to go over them.
3fbbc495856736425a59b70ed4bfed10.jpg

S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just fitted the black rear body work , fitted the 3M on the tank and elsewhere , just need to remove the hangers , then fit the black akro , dark now and im a bit pissed lol .
Not sure on how the bike will run on the euro 3 but will give it a try.Also the wheels I have are satin as im waiting for my cross spokes ( long story)

Just fitted the black rear body work , fitted the 3M on the tank and elsewhere , just need to remove the hangers , then fit the black akro , dark now and im a bit pissed lol .
Not sure on how the bike will run on the euro 3 but will give it a try.Also the wheels I have are satin as im waiting for my cross spokes ( long story)

Interesting....

You better sleep it off, I am sure it’ll look and sound better in the morning after a few coffees....

Pictures please, or it never happened! (Bike and coffee that is)

But please don't talk shit about forks that caused a crash and killed a journalist that obviously was not as good as he though he was trying to show off...in todays litigious society BMW would have had to pay millions.There was nothing wrong with forks or instability.Only for the 1% who used it in extreme off-road situations they got an extra ring or an extra 4 points or later circumvent tightening method.For the 99% of the GS street riders who ride also some unpaved roads absolutely no need for it.

And you know this how? The report was never published in full or where you part of the investigation?

BTW. You are so well adept at talking shit. No mention of the Porsche engine BMW have fitted to the 1250.

My friends like the stronger top-end but even they ask themselves if it is worth all the problems and waiting for parts.

Huh? In Euro-village parts aren't an issue.

Maybe best to stick with a Harley. :blast

Interesting....

You better sleep it off, I am sure it’ll look and sound better in the morning after a few coffees....

Pictures please, or it never happened! (Bike and coffee that is)

I will once back from my trip. Looks nice IMHO

As for the people saying "nothing changed on the frame/geometry" of the 1250GS compared to the 1200GS I have some answer from BMW;the information on their web-side was wrong as the geometry has changed !
109 vs 100 mm trail
1525 vs 1507 mm wheelbase

STICK give it the stick and give us a detailed report...:thumb
Engine power,ease of handling,top-speed (stability),sound with Akra E-3 fitted,mechanical noise coming from the valvetrain,shifting the gears 2-3 and 4-3,3-2/quiet or still on clunky side at higher rpm...we are waiting about your findings as we already know PR5's are the best tires...;)

STICK give it the stick and give us a detailed report...:thumb
Engine power,ease of handling,top-speed (stability),sound with Akra E-3 fitted,mechanical noise coming from the valvetrain,shifting the gears 2-3 and 4-3,3-2/quiet or still on clunky side at higher rpm...we are waiting about your findings as we already know PR5's are the best tires...;)

PLUS, result after visit to Geoff at Hilltop :)

And EVskij ; What are you getting 1250 GS or 1200 Scrambler ?
Just don't judge the Scrambler if it comes with those horrible Karoo 3's...very scary to ride.Much better with the Tourance.I think with the Ohlins rear that can be extended by 10 mm you might be able to overcome the slower steering of the Scrambler/Urban compared to the R9T or Pure due to the 19" front and the 5 mm less right hight at rear (+25 mm front due to 19" wheel but only +20 mm on rear 120 vs 140 mm spring travel R9T vs Scrambler/Urban) which would be worth a try to make the Scrambler/Urban as quick steering and fun to ride as R9T/Pure.The Wunderlich vario-arm gives you another 7mm of ride height in the rear.Definitely worth a try as you have more leg-room on the Scrambler/Urban as also tube-less R1200GSLC wheels that are sturdier than cast wheels if you hit a pothole ! I myself might get me an Urban to ride on memory lame...;)

And EVskij ; What are you getting 1250 GS or 1200 Scrambler ?
Just don't judge the Scrambler if it comes with those horrible Karoo 3's...very scary to ride.Much better with the Tourance.I think with the Ohlins rear that can be extended by 10 mm you might be able to overcome the slower steering of the Scrambler/Urban compared to the R9T or Pure due to the 19" front and the 5 mm less right hight at rear (+25 mm front due to 19" wheel but only +20 mm on rear 120 vs 140 mm spring travel R9T vs Scrambler/Urban) which would be worth a try to make the Scrambler/Urban as quick steering and fun to ride as R9T/Pure.The Wunderlich vario-arm gives you another 7mm of ride height in the rear.Definitely worth a try as you have more leg-room on the Scrambler/Urban as also tube-less R1200GSLC wheels that are sturdier than cast wheels if you hit a pothole ! I myself might get me an Urban to ride on memory lame...;)

Ermmmmm..........

1290 SA-S ....

if I can get a good deal, otherwise will stick with my current GSA for another year.

@ GADGET;definitely before and after Hilltop...:thumb
Do they already have a bike to break the code for mapping...or maybe they don't need one...;)
If the stock 1250GS makes around 128 rwhp on the BIKE dyno I'll bet it will be 107 before and 123 after Hilltop...:D
16 hp more...;)

EVskij;you are all over the place and obviously have not found your religion...1250GS,9T Scrambler or 1290 SA/S...at least Hitler would be proud buying a good Austrian product...:D
Good luck on finding a good deal so that you finally unload your old GSA for a bike that is so much more fun & engaging to ride...turning you instantly into a hooligan that is ready to race...;)

EVskij;you are all over the place and obviously have not found your religion...1250GS,9T Scrambler or 1290 SA/S...at least Hitler would be proud buying a good Austrian product...:D
Good luck on finding a good deal so that you finally unload your old GSA for a bike that is so much more fun & engaging to ride...turning you instantly into a hooligan that is ready to race...;)

If you do not try all options, you won’t know what has been missed. My only issue with 1290 is insurance cost, twice the amount of my GSA that is.

If you do not try all options, you won’t know what has been missed. My only issue with 1290 is insurance cost, twice the amount of my GSA that is.

Funny, it was cheaper for me - £1,500 vs. £1,850!

My insurance was very reasonable, albeit on a 15 plate 1290T.....;)

My insurance was very reasonable, albeit on a 15 plate 1290T.....;)

Yes, 2018 SAS, 5k miles per year £1500. Good lord I thought.

Back
Top Bottom