Anyone test-ridden the new 1250 GS yet ?

The next bike to be a hit for BMW will be the RS.New LED lights and TFT screen, we sat on the Wunderlich bike with GS bars at Intermot what a difference to standard one.
They should put GS bars on it.

Very interesting. One for arse then. 17” front end and GS sitting?? Position.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Test rode one today . Really quite impressed !
One interesting change I noted was that if you have the cruise control engaged , you can now change up a gear on the quick shifter without the cruise dissengaging !

Ohh that is a nice thing. As I really can’t stand how my 17’ GSA does it.

It can’t be that good as TMF isn’t getting his cheque book out, although to be fair, he did really like it, just didn’t like the idea of paying £10k to get one. Also more to come from TMF on the 1250, so maybe bmw have decided his vlog value is beneficial to them.

Bahnstormer seem to be promoting his BMW associated YouTube videos. I wonder if he’s due a great deal on a 1250GS considering his bike is 63 plate.

Might be my last IF I decide to buy a shift cam at the bloody prices! Bet your winding the happy right hand on one real soon too Nutty :)

Apr is not in our favour either at the moment at 7.9% feck that. Bahnstormer were knocking off old model just three weeks ago at 2.9% albeit “exclusive offer” from them and nobody could match it. I doubt that very much. I bet every other dealer was plucking bikes from same warehouse and matching if not beating the competition in the process. After all it is how many units they shift that matters.

138 nav mph pre hilltop. After 110 it is not a good place to be, it's too much like hard work. The bike is not made for going fast, stick to the B roads and have a ball.

Agree

So that's 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of owners not worried then :D

No that 99.9% of owners that will have to fork out extra £10-£15-£20 Feck knows how many more notes when it come to changing pads. But then again.....

No that 99.9% of owners that will have to fork out extra £10-£15-£20 Feck knows how many more notes when it come to changing pads. But then again.....

Would never change pads without taking off the caliper and giving everthing a good clean before pushing the pistons back in. So none issue really ;)

Would never change pads without taking off the caliper and giving everthing a good clean before pushing the pistons back in. So none issue really ;)

Furry muff then!

I have!

Took a HP model out for a couple of hrs while mine was being serviced & having a new tyre fitted.
Wow! It really is like a different bike, everything seemed so slick & positive, if not rather subdued & quiet, a bit characterless! Think I actually prefer the farting sound mine makes on a downshift but the annoying valvetrain rattle is now a welcome thing of the past.
Boy! does it go! Pulling past a line of cars in 4th gear, the pick up was noticeably improved over my 2016 GS no hint of any cam lobe change over hesitancy. Slow speed riding is noticeably smoother, less chuggy! too.
1st time I’ve ridden one with the LCD screen & was very impressed with how it looks & how easy it is to read. Having not dived into the instruction manual or had much pre tuition into how to use its functions, I did struggle a bit with how to acknowledge commands & found it very frustrating to not be able to reset the trip counter by just holding a button. (Later discovered how to do it via a menu page & that the “auto reset” function had been disabled by a previous rider.)
Also new to me was the hill hold assist, which I was informed had two settings? But didn’t discover how to use it other than just pulling hard on the front brake lever.
Might consider a retro-fit if the price is right?
Stuff I didn’t like, the standard GS screen, which I replaced on mine with a tall Puig far quieter, much less turbulent & allows riding with the chinpiece raised
The colour schemes, which I think are terrible, the only one I’d entertain is the metallic blue one.
Would I change for the sake of it? Probably not.
Next bike, probably (hope they bring back racing red by then!)

I personally like black bits on an exclusive but not keen on yellow decals or gold callipers. Gold equals Gypsy, I ain’t one.

Took a HP model out for a couple of hrs while mine was being serviced & having a new tyre fitted.
Wow! It really is like a different bike, everything seemed so slick & positive, if not rather subdued & quiet, a bit characterless!

The previous bike lacked character and you’re saying this is even worse ?

I test rode one on Wednesday. Salesman warned me "watch out for the power, it rips your arms out" Ohh thinks me. Tried it in road mode, then dynamic mode looking for the aforementioned power. Searched for power mode but couldn't find it. Jumped back on KTM 1290 Adventure and found the missing power. I warned my mate that it felt exactly like my memories of his 1200GS.

My mate who owns a 1200 GS came back from his test ride gushing about the extra power and torque.

It's all relative.

Verdict on the 1250, more comfortable than the KTM 1290. similar torque low down and mid range to the 1290 unless you have a super sensitive arse and can feel the extra 3NM of torque trhe BM has. The KTM has more at the top end. If you gun the BM a bit away from the lights it feels like it's gonna explode when you change from 1st to 2nd.

The 1250 feels smaller and lighter with a more sit it riding position than the KTM. Handling is hard to comment on as it rained as soon as I go off the motorway.

I don't normally carry a pillion. but when I have they have complained about the rear "comfort" seat of the KTM being crap. The 1250 rear seat looks sumptuous.

Off road, well no doubt the KTM would win but I have zero interest in off roading either behemoth. I'll leave that to true hero's plus Charley and Ewan. A 650 single is far better for proper off road adventure travel.

Persoanl verdict at the risk of being burnt at the stake. The KTM is more of a fun bike, bit crazy, bit holigan but still capable of touring in slight discomfort. I'd buy a 1250 if I was going to do a 10,000 mile road trip (which may be in the plans) and wanted to do it in comfort. Reliablity, well time will tell on the 1250. My KTM's have been faultless.

I test rode one on Wednesday. Salesman warned me "watch out for the power, it rips your arms out" Ohh thinks me. Tried it in road mode, then dynamic mode looking for the aforementioned power. Searched for power mode but couldn't find it. Jumped back on KTM 1290 Adventure and found the missing power. I warned my mate that it felt exactly like my memories of his 1200GS.

My mate who owns a 1200 GS came back from his test ride gushing about the extra power and torque.

It's all relative.

Verdict on the 1250, more comfortable than the KTM 1290. similar torque low down and mid range to the 1290 unless you have a super sensitive arse and can feel the extra 3NM of torque trhe BM has. The KTM has more at the top end. If you gun the BM a bit away from the lights it feels like it's gonna explode when you change from 1st to 2nd.

The 1250 feels smaller and lighter with a more sit it riding position than the KTM. Handling is hard to comment on as it rained as soon as I go off the motorway.

I don't normally carry a pillion. but when I have they have complained about the rear "comfort" seat of the KTM being crap. The 1250 rear seat looks sumptuous.

Off road, well no doubt the KTM would win but I have zero interest in off roading either behemoth. I'll leave that to true hero's plus Charley and Ewan. A 650 single is far better for proper off road adventure travel.

Persoanl verdict at the risk of being burnt at the stake. The KTM is more of a fun bike, bit crazy, bit holigan but still capable of touring in slight discomfort. I'd buy a 1250 if I was going to do a 10,000 mile road trip (which may be in the plans) and wanted to do it in comfort. Reliablity, well time will tell on the 1250. My KTM's have been faultless.

I hope the bike you rode was run in as sometimes the dealers allow out a bike that has not done the run in , so may feel tight or clunky . As we know it takes at least 1000 miles to allow the engine to settle, in reality.
My new one even running at 5000 revs feels better than the old version and very smooth , smoother than I would compare to the 1290. The engine so far seems to have lots of extra torque to the old one and delivers it with easy and a smoothness that most cant match.
Once the bike has had its first service plus a few extra miles , then I will be able to judge it better , but so far well impressed and looking forward to that extra.
We all have differences , the KTM is a great bike but not for me. IMHO as I wish not to open old wounds.

@BDG;I have ridden my friends 1290 SuperADV but what is "crazy" or "hooligan" about the KTM ? That is all magazine b.s. ! I have not ridden the 1250 yet but let's be honest the old 1200 LC made as much torque and power as the 1290 all the way to 6000 rpm...The new 1250 looking at the dyno graph makes more torque than the KTM and has equal power all the way to 8000rpm where the KTM probably makes 20 hp more before shutting off around 9500 rpm...Don't get me wrong I would not mind having 150 hp on top but what is better more power and torque up to 8000 rpm or a engine that needs 3500 rpm to pick up cleanly without slapping the chain and having a little more on top between 8-9500 rpm ?
If I want to keep a twin between 8000-10000 rpm to have superior power to a GS than I'd rather go with a 4 and really have fun between 10000-14000 rpm and make the KTM feel tame...everything is relative !
Don't get me wrong I would love to see a GS that weighs in at 220 kilos wet and has 150 hp without penalty in TORQUE and has 17" wheels but I think as it is the 1250 GS is in the sum of it's parts the best bike for ROAD riding currently on sale period ! Like the 1200 was but with more TORQUE,power and less mechanical noise coming from the valvetrain...:thumby:

It's all relative.

That’s a good review.:thumb

Out of interest, which 1290 Super Adventure do you have? R, S or T?

That’s a good review.:thumb

Out of interest, which 1290 Super Adventure do you have? R, S or T?

Thanks Nutty, I've tried to be un biased and reflect what I feel without any marque bias. I've got the S with 12,500 miles on it.

Had a go on the 1250 Rallye TE today and loved it, one of the first adventure bikes where the screen didnt bother me (Africa twin gave me double vision, Multistrada not much better). My reference point is a sports bike but I found it quick enough, nice grunt, great cruise, lovely suspension, really nice screen etc... It's the first bike in the last year or so that I have wanted to buy.

Can't think of anything I didn't like about it, also looked at a BMW 55litre soft luggage bag they had out which would be perfect for me for touring. I do want to try the RT as it will be only used on the road, but slightly concerned about the width of the RT as do enjoy a bit/lot of filtering (GS seemed fine). RT's will be in in November, so can try one and decide.

Slightly worried about quality (wheels/shocks/finish), but at least there is a 3 year warranty that can be extended.

Start up video below, only a few seconds.

RBW.

@BDG;I have ridden my friends 1290 SuperADV but what is "crazy" or "hooligan" about the KTM ? That is all magazine b.s. ! I have not ridden the 1250 yet but let's be honest the old 1200 LC made as much torque and power as the 1290 all the way to 6000 rpm...The new 1250 looking at the dyno graph makes more torque than the KTM and has equal power all the way to 8000rpm where the KTM probably makes 20 hp more before shutting off around 9500 rpm...Don't get me wrong I would not mind having 150 hp on top but what is better more power and torque up to 8000 rpm or a engine that needs 3500 rpm to pick up cleanly without slapping the chain and having a little more on top between 8-9500 rpm ?
If I want to keep a twin between 8000-10000 rpm to have superior power to a GS than I'd rather go with a 4 and really have fun between 10000-14000 rpm and make the KTM feel tame...everything is relative !
Don't get me wrong I would love to see a GS that weighs in at 220 kilos wet and has 150 hp without penalty in TORQUE and has 17" wheels but I think as it is the 1250 GS is in the sum of it's parts the best bike for ROAD riding currently on sale period ! Like the 1200 was but with more TORQUE,power and less mechanical noise coming from the valvetrain...:thumby:

Judging by your moniker you may be a tad biased, you haven’t ridden a 1250 yet but you think it’s the best for road riding, hmmm!

I’d only really compare dyno graphs done on the same dyno and ideally the same day. Somebody like Motorad magazine has surely dunked the 1200 and 1290 in the same test but I haven’t seen them do that with the 1250. I may be wrong. I do know a certain manufacturer who blue printed the engines of press bikes in years gone by.

As for your comment that the crazy and holigan references are all magazine bull shit. I beg to differ, that’s my opinion and you don’t know anything about my riding and riding history just as I don’t know anything about yours. I think I’m reasonably experienced having done over a million miles on more than a 100 bikes. I’m not trying to get into a willy waving contest especially if you’ve done 2 million miles.

I actually find my KTM far better than something like my old 1200 Mulistrada on the chain slapping front but certainly don’t want to drop to 3,000 rpm in 6th gear. What’s the point? I use the gearbox and change gear. I’m not trying to start an argument but feel it’s worth responding to your comments.

Out of respect I didn’t thrash the 1250 as although it had been through its first service it was still new and tight but still took it to 6,500 rpm. I agree with your comments about torque and revs but on the odd occasion I’ve enjoyed what the KTM gives in the higher rev range.

I would like a good long test ride on a fully run in 1250. I’ve done enough miles on other GS’s including owning one to appreciate their good and bad points

Thanks Nutty, I've tried to be un biased and reflect what I feel without any marque bias. I've got the S with 12,500 miles on it.

Same here, and same mileage on mine too. Would be interested to see what a pre and post Hilltopped 1250 makes at the rear wheel. I wonder who’ll be first to let Geoff loose on their bike!

Impressions

The original intention was to jot down some ‘first’ impressions of the new R1250GS, but as the day progressed, I thought of another approach.
My prior knowledge was based on one magazine’s first ride and anecdotal words from various BMW dealers.

To the bike; well, it looks pretty much as before with detail differences like valve covers, brake calipers and the TFT screen being the most obvious. I am sure that there is more to be seen, but that was my first impression.
Sitting astride brings back memories, apart from the TFT and keyless wake up and go procedure.

The engine is definitely quieter, a little less secure at idle than the current LC 1200, but thankfully one can engage first gear without (current LC) graunching. Clutch and transmission seemed pretty much as present, with perhaps the software controlling the Shift Assist being slightly improved. However, still nowhere near as good as the S1000 types.
I had been told that torque and drivability were greatly improved and were nothing short of astonishing. Well yes, but at first I was not converted and as the ride progressed I just focussed on how good a motorcycle the GS is. It’s been a couple of years since I have ridden a GS, three years since owning one and was delighted to reacquaint myself.

Chassis wise it felt as before, agile despite its mass and possessed with such good handling. The revised ESA felt more compliant and better controlled than the 1200GS, without exploring any of its limits.
The Hayes brakes are every bit as good as the Brembo and felt slightly better at the lever.

Back to the engine. The calibration is just about spot on whether in traffic, pottering down country lanes, or on open road.
In deference to the 600 mile new bike I did not attempt any WOT antics, but can attest that 6th gear 50mph overtakes were absolutely superb.
It does indeed pull very well!
Going back to the idle quality, I am sure that miles and first service will sort that out.

The TFT instrument pack I am not convinced about despite its superb legibility. I wasn’t confused or intimidated by the information available, it’s just that it seemed out of place on such a ruffty tuffty motorcycle.
Appropriate on an RT or such like, but on a GS???????????????

On the way home I did the obvious thing; compare the 1250 with my own 1200LC.
The published power difference is not as stark as one would think, in fact my 1200 felt sharper and peppier.
The reasons are probably wrapped up in the different bore / stroke architecture, inertia and 9000 miles, making the 1250 feel a bit dull next to the 1200.
BMW engines do get so much better with miles though.
The 1200 is noisier, slightly less smooth and if there is any real world fuel consumption difference I remain to be convinced.

Upon arriving home I thought of another angle; to go out on my R1200 Twin Cam.
Well, how many times does the opportunity to experience three subsequent iterations of an engine occur in one day?
Yes, a step change backwards brought no great surprise.
The TC oddly enough, feels a little like the 1250, torquey and sort of lazy. Much less refined of course and with a few generations of powertrain control techniques between them - not as well measured.
The transmission / driveline on the TC are dreadful in comparison to its younger relations and is the one thing that I dislike about my TC.
Apart from that though and despite its more agricultural powertrain the TC is still a class act.

What did I learn today?
The 1250 GS remains a superb motorcycle.
If you asked me to say that the 1250 is the new wunderkind I would decline. Different yes, better in small increments yes, but not a huge step-change.

In a way I am reminded of the changes made to Porsche 911 from the air cooled years.
The car became more civilized, easier to drive; more secure in adverse conditions, heavier and as a result - lost some of its character.
All done to broaden the customer base - with just a small nod to legislative obligation.
It is progress and we should not stand in the way of that, but I wonder if we are getting just a bit too cosseted.
There seems to be little need to adapt, understand and come to terms with these days.
It’s all done for you by the manufacturer; just plug and play.

These are just the thoughts of a motorcyclist, not a BMW fanboy and are as objective as I can make them.

Back
Top Bottom