Anyone test-ridden the new 1250 GS yet ?

Hi

Just returned from a test drive and....

If I was told I was driving next year upgraded gs1200lc I´d have bought it, the differences from my 1200gs were like this:

-Throatier exhaust sound, I was afraid it would be anemic due to euro 4 rules but it souds even beter almost like an akrapovic with the baffles on
-Slick gear box 1st clonk almost gone and gearshift assist smooth as buter up and down
-Way more torque at low revs witch makes the engine real elastic, I opened up the throtle in 6th at 40 km/h and it went all the way up to 200 without a hickup

I was so disapointed that I´ll be collecting mine next week :D

Encase it hasn’t been posted all the bits of my 17 plate bike swooped over including my Euro 3 Akro

Just got new head guards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will you retune/refuel the bike to suit the (presumed) more efficient akra or izzit ok? I’ve read somewhere that to a degree the bike automatically compensates?

Interesting opinions/reviews...
BDG I'd rather have a clean driveshaft,TL and an engine that is torquey and tractable from idle on then 20 hp more between 8000-10000 rpm !
So for me a 1290 or 1260 are no real competition to the GS.But I think if you want a roadbike that is fun to ride and still practical enough to use I would say there are currently only 4 bikes to choose from ; the 1250 GS , S 1000 XR , 1290 Superduke GT and 1260 MS . For me I would pick them in this order.The GS the most versatile and best package,the XR the most exiting as a true superbike you can ride every day,the KTM if you like a V-twin that is strong with a short 8000-10000 rpm topend when it's already over and hits the limiter hard as also missing enterstand that takes away from the practicality an the MS if you like the Ducati V-twin experience and a Ducati you can actually ride without breaking your balls but accept and are able to pay high maintenance bill$$$...the Tuono 1100 could be part of this lineup but unfortunately no bags so it is as impractical as a RSV4 and really has no dealer-network with parts and service you need...:(
SJWB I like your commend that the new 1250 has the more torque and lazy feling of the old aircooled TC 1200...:thumby:
That is what I was always missing from my LC 1200 that always felt too Japanese or too refined/less characterful than the old TC 1200 to me.
I still like the torquey feel of the old TC every time I ride my R Nine T but I must also admit that I'm getting ready to warm up to the more refined and more powerful LC boxers that are less agricultural when it comes to gearbox and engine vibrations as also the wet clutch in front of the engine is a big improvement as in no more high repair bills when it comes to replacement or leaky rms or balance shaft/output shaft seals...:thumb2
I think after 1 1/2 years of LC ownership and 16 aircooled boxers before I finally have warmed up to the LC and are ready to move on and leave the TC as a good memory of the past...it will be interesting come November/EICMA what they will do to the 2019 R & RS boxers and if a R1250S is coming...
Otherwise a 1250 GS with 17" wheels will have to do...:D

Great news that the Akra E-3 with removeable baffles and my Ohlins-TTX will still fit on the 1250 ! As also the bags even this time I will order the black anodized ones...

Boxerlust, if you’re not American, what country are you from?

Will you retune/refuel the bike to suit the (presumed) more efficient akra or izzit ok? I’ve read somewhere that to a degree the bike automatically compensates?

Not sure yet, doesn’t seem quite as smooth so far but only done about 60 miles with it fitted so far? Hope to go out tomorrow so see how it is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weight

The biggest difference for me from my old TC is the extra weight of the LC
It weighs 33lb more so the engine can never pick up and slow in quite the same way.
The new 1250 weighs another 13lb

I would love the chassis of the LC with the lighter TC engine.

I know never happy us bikers and I have done 7k on the Ralley but still liked my TC better

The biggest difference for me from my old TC is the extra weight of the LC
It weighs 33lb more so the engine can never pick up and slow in quite the same way.
The new 1250 weighs another 13lb

I would love the chassis of the LC with the lighter TC engine.

I know never happy us bikers and I have done 7k on the Ralley but still liked my TC better

So you're saying the 1250 GS is heavy ?

Nick don't believe the hype...a year ago a few friends and myself we took a ferry with a certified scale to weigh us in.We took the bags off the bike and just had filled the tanks a few miles ago.You'll be surprised to hear the 2012 TC GS came in at 250 KG and the 2017 LC 1200 came in at 253 KG...less than 10 lbs difference...Nothing ! Especially where the LC feels lighter with lighter/quicker handling once rolling.If you are concerned about size & weight get yourself an Urban G/S;
that bike is more than 60 pounds lighter and feels very small/easy to handle.But rolling it becomes much harder to steer than a "real" GS especially at speeds above 70 mph...all theory is grey.

Test ride on the 1250 this afternoon.

My feedback for what it's worth.

Engine: Brilliant. I found myself riding around a gear up...4th instead of 3rd etc. Took the bike to 25mph in 6th....didn't like it much but pulled well out of it.

Pops wheelies very easily compared to the 1200. Obviously this is essential info.

Brisk riding happens very easily now. But smoothly. As has already been mentioned the bike is now deceptively fast. As an example...my old 1200 Hilltop'd LC GSA - at 50 mph I would probably drop a gear to 3rd for an overtake if it was a bit tight. Just in case. This new engine, without a Hilltop map, you could easily leave it in 4th and just gun the throttle. Pulls very smoothly with the extra torque. 6th gear at 60mph, whack the throttle and you're doing 90mph very quickly. You get the idea.

I think a Hilltop map on the 1250 motor would be pretty awesome actually, but let's not have a Hilltop thread. If you hold the throttle at 2-3k revs you still have some lumpy lumpy, which would be sorted with Hilltop I expect, but in truth, riding the bike you never feel it. I wish my 1290 S was as smooth that's for sure and I'm more than content with the throttle on the KTM.

Some small points in no particular order.
The quick shifter and blipper - a bit jerky compared to the 1290. Not sure why. Might need calibrating but there were some real pauses using the shifter that threw me back and forth on the bike at gear changes. Not every change of course, but more than I was expecting as the one on my old 14 plate GS was fine.
Gearbox - tight. You had to give it a good pull to change gear with the blipper. Probably just needs running in a bit more (600 odd miles on the odo).
Levers - liked those.
Exhaust - quiet. I actually quite liked it but imagine it will be too quiet for some.
Road noise from the front end - too much of it. Might be tyres but equally might not be.
No recall bushes on the top of the shocks....it looks like the pre-fix bikes so I guess they've changed the design to resolve that??
Stock screen - I'm 5'9". Found it fine up to 90 on the dual-carriageway in lowest setting, hardly any helmet shake at all. Better than my 14! Ironically, when I put the screen up to the high setting there was way more buffeting. So for me the high setting would be for rain.
As always, the GS was super stable at all times/speeds.

A comparison to the 1290 S:

Buttons! I've always loved the GS buttons for everything. Heated grips? Button. ABS/Wheelie mode? Button for that. You get the picture. The menu system on the KTM is great, but I prefer the GS setup.

The dash? I think I prefer the GS dash. Just. Mostly because the contrast is great and I struggle to see some of the words on the KTM screen these days :blast

The fit & finish. I think I'm going to award both bikes 4 stars. Neither bike looks like a 5*.

The GS has heavier steering at speed and needs good pressure to weave for example. Slow speed manners are fine. The bike has loads of power now but to use the power in fast twisty's needs more effort than the 1290 - which goes where you look almost without you realising you're making inputs. This is my opinion from 2 1/2hrs, suggest you try it with your riding style as you may not agree.

Suspension - I tried all the settings. My opinion? Not as well set up as the 1290. I aimed for some rough road and sometimes couldn't help hit some dips in the tarmac. I didn't like it. This is the biggest issue from the ride for me. In 'road' setting it was too bouncy. In Dynamic I would say it rides very well, but is harsh when you hit the rough stuff. It feels like it needs the rebound damping adjusting, but you can't adjust it. The 1290 can be left in Sport mode all day long - it's a firm ride, but doesn't create discomfort.

The GS, to 'me', is a cruiser Adv bike. Wide bars. In 'Road' mode, if you don't push on and like to float around doing 60mph, I think you'll be fine with the 1250. I suspect loaded with luggage the GS would be a bit more comfortable but I couldn't test that. The 1290 IS comfortable when loaded....FACT.

The 1290 or the GS then? What's my conclusion?

Well, I think if you love your current GS, you'll REALLY love the new one. I was immediately at home on it. The new engine is very nice indeed. Smooth, linear power. Fast. Not uncomfortable.

I actually like the gold wheel model in the flesh and I would have that one for sure.

There's a 'but' though. And the 'but', for me, is that the GS just seems too...I don't know how to put it. Struggling for words. If I say boring...that's just rubbish. But it's not exciting to ride like the KTM - I know I've said this before so I guess I should shut up. The new GS is brilliant, it really is. But it's not a 1290 S. If I looked at both bikes next to each other in my garage it'd be the Orange bike that would make me grin. So I'm sticking with my Kato for now.

I certainly think everyone should test ride the 1250. I'd be interested in your opinions of it to be honest.

Nice report, Chris. As a fellow 1290 owner that’s had a lot of GS’s, I’ll admit I’m intrigued, but as said before, it would take a lot to get me back on a GS.

I’ll have a go on one at some point, and see how it compares to the old one. Your comment about having both in the garage and taking the 1290 made me smile, as that’s the exact reason why I got rid of the Rallye and kept the 1290!

I didn't mention the new non-Brembo front brakes.

The 1290 Brembo setup is a 7/10. They work, but lack feel and need a two finger pull. Maybe they're under-sized. Maybe they wanted a softer setup that suited the 'R' model to use off-road. Don't know.

The new GS is a straight 10/10. Loads of feel and only needs a single digit to stop abruptly.

Nice report, Chris. As a fellow 1290 owner that’s had a lot of GS’s, I’ll admit I’m intrigued, but as said before, it would take a lot to get me back on a GS.

I’ll have a go on one at some point, and see how it compares to the old one. Your comment about having both in the garage and taking the 1290 made me smile, as that’s the exact reason why I got rid of the Rallye and kept the 1290!

25% or so of my riding is with the wife riding pillion. With that in mind would you choose the 1290 or the GS?

I tested the 1290 and the performance was great, but didn't feel as good as my bike for my (as an overall) riding

25% or so of my riding is with the wife riding pillion. With that in mind would you choose the 1290 or the GS?

I tested the 1290 and the performance was great, but didn't feel as good as my bike for my (as an overall) riding

One of the issues with the 1290 for me was coming from a GSA. The 1290 took a few rides to dial in to as the riding position feels taller than the GSA. But you soon do. And when you do....!!

On the flip side of that, the GSA was also a great bike and my wife was really happy (mostly) as pillion on it.

On the flip side of that, my wife has had no issues being on the back of the 1290 too. As pillion comfort goes I don't think there's much at all in it. Choose your poison.

Back
Top Bottom