Anyone test-ridden the new 1250 GS yet ?

@ Rich r1200GS - THank you for your impressions ! What you say sounds very good...extra TORQUE and revving up to redline it flies:thumb2
I guess come spring the beak of my GS-ADV will say 1250...:D
But only if the ADV comes in triple-black or black-exclusive...;)
Hopefully the Akra-E3 will fit because who really wants a bike that sounds like a wet-fart only to appease the bankster-arseholes and killjoys in Brussels...:(
Hopefully Brexit will lead to EU-xitus...:thumb2 and we go back to E-3 and to sovereign and national states that trade with each other and leave things alone !

1250 write up on Williams FB page.

As I can’t get to Manchester for Williams Motorrad Legend weekend, the folk kindly arranged for me to ride the new GS1250 shiftcam today, undeterred by Storm Callum, I arrived at Williams about 7:40, the guys were just setting up for the day.
Williams have 3 GS1250s an Exclusive and HP in the showroom and a TE out on demo. Craig and Kieran had both ridden it ,but it only had 100 miles on the clock and I was to be the first customer to ride it, usual safety checks and I was ready for the ride, I didn’t want to know what the previous riders thought of it as I wanted to make my own mind up on improvements or not over the 1200.

On start up first thing you notice is how quiet, yet menacing at the same time compared to my last 1200 ( a 17 plate GSA) but don’t be put off, as it sounds really good, it did feel as if it revs quicker?. Same clunk into first and we are away, the urgency is there right from the off, the difference for me was staggering, like night and day, being a Technical Update its still the same "comfy slippers" but the boy now wearing them is 20 years younger and sprightly with it. as said,first gear was the usual clunk but after that and on the quick shifter you just roll them in one after another, just short shift as the engine has so much grunt!, you are quickly in sixth. At first I found myself changing as I would on my old steed for an overtake, no need, just wind the throttle and in a instant the exhaust note changes to a growl, revs rise incredibly fast and your past, no fuss, job done. I had tested a KTM1290 SA last week, I believe they have the same torque and that might be true, but let me say that the BMW delivers it low-down the range and more of it yet manages to make it feel that it really isn’t trying at all and is just playing with you . Can you feel the step to change the cam profile? can you hell as like, absolutely not, just ride it and stop looking. If anyone had a single cam gs and moved to a twin cam and thought the difference was good then this step will blow you away, it really is that good. I managed about 60 miles as unfortunately I needed to be in Cumbria this afternoon, but loved everyone of them. Other differences for me, the brakes are incredible, I have read a lot of crap on some forums about them not being brembo’s , they are in fact made by Hayes an American brake Manufacture. I found the initial bite very much stronger and inspires more confidence, also I don’t know if its these new callipers or a software update, but the hill assist is now very smooth coming off stop, on my last bike I used to just switch it back off on the brake, as I thought it dragged for too long and you needed a lot of throttle, well not anymore, it works smoothly every time. Also the suspension feels better, perhaps because its new, tyres or whatever but it felt better. I tried all the engine modes and suspension settings over the 60 odd miles, verdict? Its been said by the press many times before the "Swiss army knife" just got better and I would have to agree, So would I have one ? oh yes in fact I’ve already chopped mine in for one and the only negative of today was that it hasn’t been built yet and I therefore couldn’t ride it home. Go book a test ride you won’t disappointed.

I've always found Moto.it's reviews to be fair and balanced. Interesting that they're saying that the engine is more powerful but nothing too different compared to the older model, which is what MCN also said.

That said, I'd probably go for if I could live with the new colourways, something I'm struggling with (gold wheels on the HP and less than tasteful paint job on the excl.)

I've always found Moto.it's reviews to be fair and balanced. Interesting that they're saying that the engine is more powerful but nothing too different compared to the older model, which is what MCN also said.

But why is it interesting ? The engine is obviously more powerful as it has the new shift cam tech with all the press reports of massive power gains to almost within 20bhp of the class leaders.But apart from the engine change and a few new gizmos like hill hold and auto braking,it's identical to the outgoing bike.....

Interesting in the context of other reports here perhaps?

@ hoggey # 103 - That is what I wanted to read...If my impressions are the same come spring I will have a new 1250-ADV...:bounce1

Read on a german GS side the Akra-E3 slip-on will fit on the 1250.
No need to get the ugly and quiet Akra E-5...:thumb2 That is good news !
All we need now is a side by side roll on 0-??? mph of the GS 1200 vs 1250 on a air-strip like in the old days of Top Gear...1250 shift-cam vs Hilltoped 1200...:D

Test rode one today . Really quite impressed !
One interesting change I noted was that if you have the cruise control engaged , you can now change up a gear on the quick shifter without the cruise dissengaging !

All we need now is a side by side roll on 0-??? mph of the GS 1200 vs 1250 on a air-strip like in the old days of Top Gear...1250 shift-cam vs Hilltoped 1200...:D

I’ll find out at the weekend, fingers crossed 🤞

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is good news: never liked the Akra E3, and noise was a bit droney. Means the more stylish E5 should fit on r1200s. Might well now look at getting one.

Dave,what will you find out ? Roll-on 1200 vs 1250 or if the Akra E-3 will fit on the 1250 for sure ?!
Keep us posted...:thumb
Can't wait to test-ride the new 1250 myself as also see the first tests with real numbers on dyno and actual performance like MOTORRAD did in autumn 2012 when putting the then all new 2013 LC 1200 against one of the last triple-black 2012 R 1200 GS DOHC...remember the LC being only 15 hp stronger and having only 8 nm more torque but still 2 seconds faster 0-125 mph...Hopefully the new 1250 will do the same for being not superbike fast or exiting but at least fast enough not to get bored...;) I guess I should have kept my 2012 1200 and went to the 2019 1250 to really feel a bump in performance...:D

Any chance of a link to this German gs site ? I am keen to do the same ?

Cheers

Prop

From Advrider

Here are a few accessories that will likely need to be modified to fit the new bike:

Machine Art Moto's X-Head will need to be redesigned
Most Crash bars will need to be modified due to the new exhaust header shape and it's very hard to tell if the motor mount bolts are changed enough that a small re-tooling will need to take place
Skid Plates may have different lower motor mount bolt locations and how the lower part of the engine pokes out a bit underneath where the motor was fairly much a 90 degree angle from front cover to lower side
The slope of the rear subframe connection looks slightly curved from the current 2018s which could impact aftermarket frame-guards and maybe even Maier / Machine Art moto rear shock guards

It appears that these accessories will have no issue but we'll have to confirm once these bikes start shipping:

Seats
Pannier Racks (side). top racks could be incompatible without measuring
LED Lighting (unless there was a change to Canbus which would impact CanSmart, EZCan and CanOpener)
Headlight Guards / covers
various guards from Wunderlich, Touratech and AltRider that cover the kickstand switch, brake reservoir and O2 sensors are all good to go based on what we've seen
Side stand enlargers are likely fine
Aftermarket windscreens appear to fit based on photos
The tire size is unchanged and speed sensor appears identical so aftermarket wheels from Woody's would fit fine
The final drive appears unchanged
Suspension also appears to be unchanged from 2018 meaning unless electronics changed, your Tractive / Touratech shocks can transfer over
There is still a steering stabilizer / damper but unclear if the size or mounting orientation is different
Radiator guards look identical
Tank bags that account for the GS slope will fit no problem
Risers will change over
Hand guards from Machine Art Moto or Barkbusters will also fit

Back
Top Bottom