Considering K1300GT

JR1K

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2008 GS and am minded toward a K1300GT. I would like to improve as in reduce wind noise at 80mph. I would appreciate advice fr9m anyone who has ridden a 2010 RT compared to a K1300GT . An6 thanks
JR:beerjug:

I rode both......then sat on a Triumph Trophy and bought it. 4 years younger than a BM at the same price with a third of the miles and non of the paint flaking. Try one, I'm loving mine.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I had a K1300GT going from a GS, Lovely smooth engine, went like a rocket. Tended to catch the breeze on the motorway, Big slab side i guess. I found the gearbox very noisy and rough whilst changing gear. There all like that Sir came the reply!
Also used to get very hot. I found it a bit on the lardy side.
Sold it and went back to a GS.
All the best with your Dilemma.

I had a K1200GT, and I guess it is similar to the K1300GT.

Plus points a quick bike in a straight line, felt well made and solid, cheaper servicing, good headlamps
Minus points not as much fun to ride as the R1200GSA, didn't give the same feedback round the bends, was never sure about its looks, shorter tyre life, did not feel as confidence inspiring as the GSA especially in the bad weather, heavier on fuel
Went back to the GSA again because the GSA was a bike I looked forward to riding it, regardless of weather. If you want quieter wind noise why not try the Nippy Norman Wunderlich Screen Extender as it makes a significant difference?

https://www.nippynormans.com/screen...ar-r1200gsadv-lc-f700gs800-adventure-and-more

When I get time I'm going to have a test ride on a K1300GT and a K1600GT. I did try a twin cam RT and found it a bit uninspiring. I might end up going round in a big circle and looking at a GS again.

Replies

Thanks for all the comments. I am minded to try a different screen. I already have an aftermarket larger screen but I am minded to try a two piece screen.
JR

Not sure if you have bought one yet (10th October - "thinking", 13th "want to try another screen"; perhaps you move fast!) but some comments after 4 years with a 1300GT - bloody fast, gear change smooths with age, always have an extended warranty (I'm not ahead in £ but I have peace of mind when you see the costs of some bits and I cannot justify any new bike at £15K+).

Mine came with a Z-Technic V-Stream (standard not the tall version) screen which was OK but at 6' 6" not tall enough for me. I now have a tall factory screen with a Laminar Lip - works better although my shoulders now get the breeze a bit. Overall I will keep this set up.

Superb tourer (all the RT/1600GT toys - ESA, Cruise, heated seats & grips, full luggage (topbox was an extra except on the runout EE model - then Xenon headlamp too) that out-drags a 1600GT (the victim argued he was faster if he dropped a gear - I said I would be too!). Not sure if Guernsey is the place for one but I assume you will take it across the water to Europe where it will shine. Mine has had 1x switchgear, a rear wheel bearing (at 10K but I think a one-off) and a oil tank fitting in the 12K miles I've had it, now 18K. Recalls include the hot-start loom fix and rear wheel carrier; early ones get a cam guide recall too. Paint on the FD is just flaking slightly - well documented on many models but the rest is mint at 9 years old (admittedly it is a summer bike).

I'm keeping it a while yet - just did the 18K service (ouch!) so now ready for more intergalactic riding when the weather improves. I get c.5-6K from a rear tyre a bit more from the front (PR4GTs) but would say I'm Captain Slow. You must use the GT heavy duty version; looking at Pirelli Angel A next.

HTH

A

Maybe a K1200R Sport would meet your needs, a semi-upright position, half fairing and quicker as the K1300GT to 100mph :D

Back
Top Bottom