Final Drive Filler Cap

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

The final drive filler cap has decided that it doesn't want to come out, to the extent that the hex pattern has rounded off (I wasn't really concentrating, cranked a bit too hard and it just went).

Any suggestions for getting it out? I have tried cutting a slot in and tapping with a cold chisel - she ain't shiftin' and I don't want to go hell for leather and damage the threads.

I don't have access to a welder so I can't just tack a socket onto the top of it, but if it becomes necessary I'll go and smile nicely at a local engineering works...

Cheers,

DA

Take bike for spirited run to heat up final drive.

Dremel, cut slots for impact driver and light taps onto socket head to shock loose.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Large surface area for a small drive,
Get a paint stripping heat gun on the casing,get it over a 100deg,then try again with a small chisel and hammer,don’t try to chop it in two more shock it on the largest dia part of the plug

Whack a torq bit into it - works everytime. Ive posted the picture with the cap and a torq in it enough times over the years.

Whack a torq bit into it - works everytime. Ive posted the picture with the cap and a torq in it enough times over the years.

Not this time: The filler cap material just disintegrated. I tried a ratchet, then my impact driver, then the ratchet again and the torx bit just spun in the filler cap.

PS! I haven't tried it on a FD but otherwise this has always work when everything else fails:

Weld a nut to the cap and while it's hot press a candle under the cap to use it as penetrating oil.
Let it all cool down and then before turning it slightly warm up the aluminium housing for it to expand.

Anyways on a GS I've learned that in many cases heat is your best friend!

BR,
Jaak

Not this time: The filler cap material just disintegrated. I tried a ratchet, then my impact driver, then the ratchet again and the torx bit just spun in the filler cap.

Then use a bigger torx bit
And do NOT use an impact driver.

Attachments

• torq bit.jpg
    torq bit.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 202
Well I'm admitting defeat - I'm going to find a friendly welder who can tack a nut onto the filler cap.

I've tried three different torx bits and my extension bar and the thing isn't moving...

Well I'm admitting defeat - I'm going to find a friendly welder who can tack a nut onto the filler cap.

I've tried three different torx bits and my extension bar and the thing isn't moving...

Is that why it is called a 'final' drive?

Back
Top Bottom