Wanted - new gearbox input shaft please !

golfy1

Reaction score
Hi all
Does anyone happen to have a new gearbox input shaft for the 6 speed r1150 going spare ? - I'm rebuilding my box, but apparently there are non in the country until December !. The part number is 232 176 511 72
Many thanks !

Make sykospain an offer :D

Or maybe nomad biker has one seem to remember he was selling some gearbox bits for a GSA a while back

Hi all
Many thanks for the suggestions, tried them all, so far nothing. For the tiny price difference I'm opting for a new shaft as opposed to an unknown S/H, just means I'm bikeless until at least December. Oh well, think of the reduced tyre wear..........

Hi all
Many thanks for the suggestions, tried them all, so far nothing. For the tiny price difference I'm opting for a new shaft as opposed to an unknown S/H, just means I'm bikeless until at least December. Oh well, think of the reduced tyre wear..........
Start phoning around the dealers,maybe one of them has one sat on the shelf.

Start phoning around the dealers,maybe one of them has one sat on the shelf.
Yup, tried that with the southern ones. After demanding your name, bike reg, email, phone number, date of first conviction etc, they then confirm that I gave them the right part number followed by "they are unavailable, but if they were would cost £208".
I'm going to manufacture them myself and make a fortune ! :jager

A parts manager with one of the big USA dealers recently contacted BMW on my behalf asking when they would have more input shafts. BMW knew nothing. Nothing.

Years ago, GS Addict, an expert on advrider, had a duplicate input shaft machined, only out of better steel. He planned to have more produced for sale, but there was a minimum order of 10, and there wasn't enough demand for him to risk moving on it at the time, as his shafts cost more than BMW's. BMW stocked theirs at that time. I would think one could sell 10 inside of a week's time now even if they were significantly more expensive than BMW's unobtanium shafts.

I think the original is in GS Addict's transmission now.

It seems that BMW cannot be arsed to get on the blower with Getrag and have a batch produced.. One would think that the demand would be apparent to BMW, but maybe not. Perhaps a modern version of a letter-writing campaign would be in order.

I have a couple.... not new but with no wear.

Sorry, not for sale. but for my customers bikes if needed.

Actually, donkeydoo, that price is about the going rate for a NEW gearbox input shaft. It reflects the Greedy Berlin Pig's spare parts pricing and marketing philosophy.
In my game, I reckon to make one hundred percent on a deal supplying a customer. But I reckon, as most people would, that 266 snoojits for a length of machined high-tensile chrome steel rod represents a profit margin of about four hundred percent. That's BMW for you.

I stand corrected, fingers crossed I never need one, but then if I do as many miles as I would like to maybe I will.....

Nice thought, Tad.

Oh, for a gearbox with the lower first gear and the higher sixth. It's my main dream for the Rockster, which has a first gear that almost stalls the bike when two-up as you take off, 'cos it's so tall, and on the autovía at 130kph the bike's doing almost 5K rpm in its far-too-short sixth. Whichever feckwit in Berlin designed that set of ratios for a sport-ish bike ?

Actually, donkeydoo, that price is about the going rate for a NEW gearbox input shaft. It reflects the Greedy Berlin Pig's spare parts pricing and marketing philosophy.
In my game, I reckon to make one hundred percent on a deal supplying a customer. But I reckon, as most people would, that 266 snoojits for a length of machined high-tensile chrome steel rod represents a profit margin of about four hundred percent. That's BMW for you.

You may need to reconsider your opinion...
Longer splined input shaft maybe available on the ADV rider site if there's enough demand to make a small batch...

One small detail is the cost.

Sit down.

$855...

Add to that import duties and vat..

Sorry if this is common knowledge but this was included in a link sent to me previously.

"The Enduro gearbox (lower 1st and 6th) was used on the GS Adventure and supposedly on some R1150RT-P authority bikes. The lower 6th by itself was the basis for the Sport gearbox, and was used on the R1150GS Sport, some R1150R and R1200C models, and most K1200 models (where it acts like 5th on the LT).

The EVO ratios weren't significantly different. Some EVO gear pairs had different numbers of teeth than pre-EVO, but the ratios were within half a percent of the originals.

Enduro 1 2 3 4 4LT 5 6
Sport 6
2.38 2.05 1.6 1.27 1.03 .90 .81 .70

How can I have both the low first and the tall sixth?

Changing a gear ratio means replacing the gear on the output shaft and replacing the entire intermediate shaft with one having the ratios you want, totalling about $1100 to $1150 in parts plus seven to ten hours of labor in all. However, there were no transmissions produced with the short first and the tall sixth, so there simply is no intermediate shaft available for that combination.

Creating the aforementioned ratio involves building a custom intermediate shaft. The first gear wheel is machined as part of the shaft, so you will have to start with the intermediate shaft from an enduro transmission. At the other end, the second and drive gears are pressed on, so they have to be pressed off using about 15 tons of force. Once they're removed, the sixth gear wheel can be replaced by one from a standard transmission, and then the two end gears are pressed back into place. Of course, this means you need to have a donor intermediate shaft to supply the tall sixth gear."

Back
Top Bottom