Wanted - new gearbox input shaft please !

Sorry if this is common knowledge but this was included in a link sent to me previously.

"The Enduro gearbox (lower 1st and 6th) was used on the GS Adventure and supposedly on some R1150RT-P authority bikes. The lower 6th by itself was the basis for the Sport gearbox, and was used on the R1150GS Sport, some R1150R and R1200C models, and most K1200 models (where it acts like 5th on the LT).

The EVO ratios weren't significantly different. Some EVO gear pairs had different numbers of teeth than pre-EVO, but the ratios were within half a percent of the originals.

Enduro 1 2 3 4 4LT 5 6
Sport 6
2.38 2.05 1.6 1.27 1.03 .90 .81 .70

How can I have both the low first and the tall sixth?

Changing a gear ratio means replacing the gear on the output shaft and replacing the entire intermediate shaft with one having the ratios you want, totalling about $1100 to $1150 in parts plus seven to ten hours of labor in all. However, there were no transmissions produced with the short first and the tall sixth, so there simply is no intermediate shaft available for that combination.

Creating the aforementioned ratio involves building a custom intermediate shaft. The first gear wheel is machined as part of the shaft, so you will have to start with the intermediate shaft from an enduro transmission. At the other end, the second and drive gears are pressed on, so they have to be pressed off using about 15 tons of force. Once they're removed, the sixth gear wheel can be replaced by one from a standard transmission, and then the two end gears are pressed back into place. Of course, this means you need to have a donor intermediate shaft to supply the tall sixth gear."

I'm working on one. Hope to have it ready in late January.

Credit where credit is is due http://www.largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/sixspeed.html

Hi all
Forgot to update this
Mikeyboy fitted a s/h Motoworks shaft (£100), also renewed all bearings and seals. Top bloke, great Tea
Bike has now done 4k, smooth shifting especially into first.
I dont change gear now until at least 3.5k

Back
Top Bottom