R1150GSA 2002 battery.

Brodie13

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m not after specific recommendations, but does anybody know whether I’m right in thinking that the charging system on the above machine is unsuitable for the latest fibre matting AGM versions, as I’m sure I’ve read a post somewhere stating that they are not?! Thanks for your help :beerjug:

I've currently got a Motobatt fitted and it works superbly, I never use a charger/conditioner and it starts effortlessly after being unused for weeks in winter - even after 7 weeks in a container shipping to and from New Zealand:thumb2
I've also read scare stories about the need for alternator mods but never had any problem. Originally I fitted a Hawker Odyssey AGM after original battery died, then changed to Motobatt AGM - the Odyssey was probably still ok but changed to Motobatt when trying to resolve a starting problem which turned out to be the starter:blast
So, Motobatt would be my first choice - and no charging mods required! - just fit it and press start button:thumb

Cheers..................Grizzly:beerjug:

I’m not after specific recommendations, but does anybody know whether I’m right in thinking that the charging system on the above machine is unsuitable for the latest fibre matting AGM versions, as I’m sure I’ve read a post somewhere stating that they are not?! Thanks for your help :beerjug:

I’m the scaremonger. You can stick an AGM in and it will work, and you may even be 100% happy as many are. But, the Oilhead won’t fully charge it—unless your trips are always on the long side—because its charging voltage is too low. It’ll last longer and start your bike better if you keep it fully charged.

I’ve owned two different 1150s, the first was an RT which I upgraded to a PC680. I made a lot of short trips while I was testing the Innovate LC-1/2 and AF-XIED. I recharged it with a Battery Tender Jr. and in less than a year I’d lost 20% of the battery’s capacity and starting was hard.

The fix from Odyssey was to fully discharge the battery 4-5 times and fully recharge it with a proper charger after each discharge. After that I modified the alternator and bought a charger from this list: http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf. The PC680 is now 7 years old and good as new.

The second bike is an R1150GS. I bought it with a 3-4 year old PC680. No problems, but the battery was never fully charged either. I ran it through the discharge cycles, modified the alternator and it’s now 5-6 years old and good as new too.

Here’s the link to the modification: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=861163#Post861163.

The other option is to always use an AGM charger after you ride, from the odyssey list. Or, as most do, you can just not worry about it and replace the battery when it fails, and accept that motorcycle batteries just don’t seem to last that long.

Thanks for owning up Roger. Not sure any of us can argue with your views. Would you think a cheaper conventional battery would work better on the 1150 models perhaps, given that a lot of owners would not want to attempt your clever mods?!

Thanks for owning up Roger. Not sure any of us can argue with your views. Would you think a cheaper conventional battery would work better on the 1150 models perhaps, given that a lot of owners would not want to attempt your clever mods?!

I’d still buy an AGM and if you use a charger buy one from their list ... and take long rides ... the Oilhead charging voltage = AGM maintenance (trickle) voltage.

I’d still buy an AGM and if you use a charger buy one from their list ... and take long rides ... the Oilhead charging voltage = AGM maintenance (trickle) voltage.

So, what constitutes 'a long ride'? For the purpose of Motobatt charging purposes. Their dedicated chargers seem awefully expensive!

That’s a good question, I’d say an hour, however long to get it fully charged. But I never tried to figure it out. For me it was just easier to modify the alternator (there’s also a higher voltage aftermarket regulator).

Rather than the motobatt charger, look at the whole odyssey list I published earlier in the thread. I just got a minnkota106 which I’ve used on boats for over winter, because after fully charging and then another day of trickle charging it drops into a non-charging monitor mode until a charge is needed.

I have a Halfords charger I bought about 1978..still works and the output drops as the battery state increases. Nothing fancy but does exactly the same job, 12v or 6v too. I am destined to remain an analogue chap it would seem! :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom