Comparing with an S1000XR

i need to tell my mates on the XR'S to speed up then :D

I own both.

The XR eats the GS in performance, braking and handling - as you would expect.

I am faster on the XR than the GS in my fav twisties, hands down.

BUT, on somewhere like Stelvio, where you really need GRUNT off the bottom for the steep hairpins, the GS would keep up - if not better the XR....except on the longer straits..

Like for like or same rider back to back and i think the XR is faster

It handles better and has more oomph so how can it be slower in honesty

I do however understand peoples preferences and riding styles which will or could be very different

I actually believe that much of the " he cant keep up " or the " only a few seconds separated us " arguments come down to just how fast you are prepared to go

A few years ago now i rode down Glen Shiel at a very very and highly illegal speed. i had a GS with me all the way because although i had a good 40 mph advantage over the GS i was not prepared to do 160 to get away from him

Exactly....more often than not, "faster" riders are simply willing to take more risks on the road.

Interesting answers, I've owned both and currently have the 'XR'. As some have said,'chalk and cheese' they are completely different bikes. I'm 6' 1" and for me it's more comfortable than the 'GS', I've always had 'inline fours' apart from the 'GS' and I'm at home on them. As far as its not as quick, then you really need to open the throttle, above 6k it flys, even Arsey said that a hilltop XR isn't that much slower than his H2 and they are ballistic. On a back road, ok it's not as supple as the 'GS' but I'm far quicker on the XR it's just what I'm used to. The XR is not for everyone granted, but for me it's perfect :cool: :thumb

I will give the XR (in triple-black) another try when I finally get to ride the new 1250 GS (ADV) to decide which one to take home...
The XR is probably the best and fastest bike if you a re a hard core street rider...the GS is easier and friendlier while the XR eggs you on to go faster.
GS like seating and comfort and practicality with factory bags,top-case and centerstand but quicker steering and ballistic performance if you keep the rpm's between 8000 and 1200 rpm...The only superbike for the street ! While real superbikes make only sense on the track.
The only reason(s) that kept me off the XR...chain and no cylinders sticking out left and right that keep your legs protected in case of a mishap !
But both XR and GS are great bikes,probably the best roadbikes currently made,for different reasons and riders .
I wish BMW would solve the dilemma and give us all in form of a 150 hp R 1250 XR !
A GS with 17 inch wheels and a strong boxer that pulls all the way to the 9000 rpm redline :thumby:

I will give the XR (in triple-black) another try when I finally get to ride the new 1250 GS (ADV) to decide which one to take home...
The XR is probably the best and fastest bike if you a re a hard core street rider...the GS is easier and friendlier while the XR eggs you on to go faster.
GS like seating and comfort and practicality with factory bags,top-case and centerstand but quicker steering and ballistic performance if you keep the rpm's between 8000 and 1200 rpm...The only superbike for the street ! While real superbikes make only sense on the track.
The only reason(s) that kept me off the XR...chain and no cylinders sticking out left and right that keep your legs protected in case of a mishap !
But both XR and GS are great bikes,probably the best roadbikes currently made,for different reasons and riders .
I wish BMW would solve the dilemma and give us all in form of a 150 hp R 1250 XR !
A GS with 17 inch wheels and a strong boxer that pulls all the way to the 9000 rpm redline :thumby:

get an R1250RS, which is due out next year I believe - my view is that the RS and XR are the best bikes BMW have made for a long time. YMMV and the only caveat is that I have not ridden a K1600 in any variant.

Rumoured updated RS at Eicma, no XR untill next year RR first also at Eicma

get an R1250RS, which is due out next year I believe - my view is that the RS and XR are the best bikes BMW have made for a long time. YMMV and the only caveat is that I have not ridden a K1600 in any variant.

I've ridden a 1600...stonking engine - sounds like a Ferrari when you give it some.

Handles well for a big girl, BUT needs to be 50 kg lighter, at least...

Telelever. Corners. Near the limit of tyre adhesion, on regular roads in the UK or in Europe, the GS is more stable and allows you to trail brake deeper into a corner, the chassis and throttle response allows you to get on the gas quicker, and greater torque fires you faster out of every bend. It is only in-between the bends that an XR is quicker if you wind the throttle to the stop and have enough distance to overtake the GS. The XR is faster if the rider is not so good in the bends, the GS quicker if the rider is.

Telelever. Corners. Near the limit of tyre adhesion, on regular roads in the UK or in Europe, the GS is more stable and allows you to trail brake deeper into a corner, the chassis and throttle response allows you to get on the gas quicker, and greater torque fires you faster out of every bend. It is only in-between the bends that an XR is quicker if you wind the throttle to the stop and have enough distance to overtake the GS. The XR is faster if the rider is not so good in the bends, the GS quicker if the rider is.

Are you really saying that the GS handles better and corners faster than XR ?

If you are then that is absolute tosh !

Having owned both i can with some level of experience say that the XR will out brake a GS and with 17 inch wheels and because of different tyre size and profile its higher entry speed means it will out grip and out corner a GS every day of the week in all weathers on any road

Having owned both i can with some level of experience say that the XR will out brake a GS and with 17 inch wheels and because of different tyre size and profile its higher entry speed means it will out grip and out corner a GS every day of the week in all weathers on any road

Agree completely, loved mine but I found the suspension jarred my back to much.

Does this apply when riding down a fast but bumpy uneven road ?

Redrick, for my style of riding, I certainly find the GS able to outhandle the XR and more stable, especially over broken tarmac. The XR is basically an S1000R on stilts.

@ Spareparts - I'm with you brother !
But I can tell you with the long front suspension in combination with ESA the fork of the XR felt not as bad as the usual 120-125 mm forks on sportbikes compared to the Telelever of the GS.GS grunt everywhere but flat on top,XR ballistic that you scream into your helmet overjoyed if you keep the revs between 8000-12000 rpm but nothing where the boxer delivers but signs off where the XR will catapult you forward.You decide what you like better.Grunt but no excitement or revs and lots of excitement.Of course shaftdrive and boxer cylinders protecting rider and bike are undoubtedly GS plusses as also the TL that does not dive under braking hard and that is more comfortable gliding over the worst roads like a Hoovercraft.
On he track the XR will win on bumpy tight roads the GS might have a chance but the more the road opens up the GS rider won't have a chance to make up for the 45 hp deficit...
Maybe things will be a little different with the new 1250 now ?

But like I have said before BMW needs to get their heads out of their arses and get us a GS with 150hp top-end and 17' wheels :thumby:
That would be the perfect weapon for the streets !

...... even Arsey said that a hilltop XR isn't that much slower than his H2 and they are ballistic.......

I witnessed that little mini race. Sadly, my K2 (cameras) were not fitted or I might have treated you to the video from back to front. Also sadly, the experiment won't be repeated as Arsey is bringing a different bike next year.

The XR did indeed make a good show of keeping up with the H2. However, the distance was not long.

Horses for courses. I'm not a huge fan of inline fours but to be fair I have very little experience of them. I did like my tripple..... a lot. As said above, if you want to keep your licence and a much wider range of power in the low and middle ranges, for the road the twin is hard to beat. Although, as I say, a good tripple is a nice compromise.

Another question would be; did you have the XR in Dynamic mode? On a day like that it may have been in Rain mode, hence the lack of power.

I hear what your saying and I'm not for one minute saying the XR in a straight line of any major distance would hold a H2, and let's be perfectly honest it's the rider not the bike, I remember when I first started to ride a friend of mine owned a bike shop ' Higgs Motorcycles' on cementry junction in Reading, I was bored of the bike I had saying it wasn't quick enough. He jumped on a knackered GT 550 with Jeans/ T-shirt/Trainers helmet and gloves, stuck me on a ZX6 and said " if you can stay with me from point to point" I'll give you the bike :comfort needless to say he won. :D

Where in the U.K. can go faster than 160 mph where the H2 would go all the way up to 186 mph and finally leave the XR behind (theoretically) ?
What's the point of such a heavy bike not really suited to curvy roads if a S1000RR beats an H2 in a straight line and that with the same cc but no supercharger as I have seen on half-mile run-way races here in Kali ?
I much rather have an XR over any H2 any day Hilltopped or not...;)

Are you guys with me thinking the E-3 2015/16 XR felt a little stronger in the middle while the E-4 2017/18 had a little more on top ?

Back
Top Bottom