VFR750 Reprise

(RIP) Tunneruk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got a real soft spot for this particular model VFR, that lovely V4 engine with it's gear driven cams and I even like the way they look. People will comment that Hondas are boring but I find a VFR to have just enough character to keep me interested with all the benefits of coming from arguably Honda's finest decade of motorcycle production.

I had an almost identical bike to this 3-4 years ago and loved it ... I sold it on for something else but always fancied another ......

Having recently sold my 950 Adventure I decided to use the 'change' to buy another bike .... had to be a VFR!

This particular example came to me as a main dealer part exchange. It hadn't been cleaned or tarted up or made ready for sale, it was just what I was after. 36k miles, two owners and in very honest condition.

Having sat for quite a while it didn't run very well, running between 2 and 4 cylinders ... I decided to give the carbs a clean out .... then one thing led to another and what you see below is the result ....

Peeling away the bodywork revealed an absolutely minging accumulation of grime ... However, everything is present and correct, nothing is broken, stripped or missing. It just needs some love :thumb2

After taking into bits I spent a couple of hours cleaning it today, I have some bits to paint, some bits to powder coat and some bits to have plated.

Before and after ...

IMG_9684 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9682 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9689 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9745 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9758 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9744 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9756 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9751 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9761 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9748 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9760 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9746 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9754 by tunneruk, on Flickr

IMG_9763 by tunneruk, on Flickr

As ever with this stuff, I'm in...:)

I've heard the 'boring motorbike' thing many times on this site, but despite buying/riding motorbikes for nearly fifty years, I've never owned a single boring motorbike....they have ALL been a right laugh...WTF is 'boring motorbike' about ??...Is it just me ??...:confused:

I digress, crack on....:thumb

My top five favourite bikes of all time....and that one is honestly minging ! But the quality will soon shine through if I’m not mistaken. :thumb2

VFR

I really want one of these as a project bike??? if anyone knows of one going CHEAP, I would be interested,,,, thanx S

As ever with this stuff, I'm in...:)

I've heard the 'boring motorbike' thing many times on this site, but despite buying/riding motorbikes for nearly fifty years, I've never owned a single boring motorbike....they have ALL been a right laugh...WTF is 'boring motorbike' about ??...Is it just me ??...:confused:

I digress, crack on....:thumb

No, it's not just you .... I find the same, is true :beerjug:

Been thinking of lookng out for one of these too. Never had a vfr, but really fancy adding one to my garage.

Im in. Been missing Tunner updates.:D

That's going to look good when its finished :thumb.

BUT . . Is that a Cammy Norton in the Featherbed frame in the background :drool ??

Bob.

So ... the VFR ....

Seeing as the bike was intermittently running on two cylinders (which I put down to dirty carbs) I thought I'd do a compression test while it's all so accessible.
175 + 170 for the front bank
135 + 130 for the rear bank

There is paperwork in the file relating to a valve clearance service about 5000 miles ago, on that basis I was pretty confident that they'd still be will within tolerance, but looking at the compression reading I began to have doubts. As a quick diagnostic test I cracked off the cam cap bolts 1/4 turn and did another compression test .... as if by magic ... 170 + 175 on the rear bank too!

130 +135 isn't low enough to stop the bike running on all 4 so I maintain it's carbs but none the less I'll be addressing the situation with a valve service.

IMG_9769 by tunneruk, on Flickr

Quick Q, what claeaner did you use to get the ally/ all of it so clean??

Always loved the sound of a gear driven V series.

I went to look at a newer model earlier this year, but the seat height was way to high for me :(

This thread looks like its going to have lots of mekaniky bits in it too :) :beerjug:

Lovely, best colour, best model. I’m in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quick Q, what claeaner did you use to get the ally/ all of it so clean??

It's called Autosmart Alu Shine. It's absolutely lethal stuff and very corrosive, there's a real technique to using it without buggering up the alloy finish. Spray it on and within about 3 seconds the surface is fizzing up white like Alka Seltza.

I have to wear gloves and a protective suit when I'm applying it as if it splashes on your skin you really do know about it!!

Cleaned my VFR up a treat though :D

Watching with interest
I am currently "without bike" and rather fancy a VFR

Never had a 750, but did many thousands of miles on an 800Fi X and still think it is one of the two best bikes I've had. What is the choke set up on these? Reason I ask is I once had a mate's Firestorm in for rough running and it turned out the choke was a sliding brass 'bullet' which slid in its tube to close off the choke when it was released, and on one of the carbs corrosion was stopping it sliding back, so keeping the choke open on the front cylinder. A clean up of the brass and the tube with a dremel cured it. Always like your projects, look forward to seeing this one progress.

Never had a 750, but did many thousands of miles on an 800Fi X and still think it is one of the two best bikes I've had. What is the choke set up on these? Reason I ask is I once had a mate's Firestorm in for rough running and it turned out the choke was a sliding brass 'bullet' which slid in its tube to close off the choke when it was released, and on one of the carbs corrosion was stopping it sliding back, so keeping the choke open on the front cylinder. A clean up of the brass and the tube with a dremel cured it. Always like your projects, look forward to seeing this one progress.

I'll be honest .... I removed the carb assembly and put it on the bench untouched with the exception of checking the diaphragms by flicking the slides up with my thumb, they seem fine with this initial test which is good.... I'll get to them in due course .....

Back
Top Bottom