Engine fires up and then dies

Marco1150

Reaction score
Hi there,

Again, any help is much appreciated.

Bike: 1150gs, 2002, single spark. 76k on the clock. Last revision at a professional garage at 72k.

Issue: I engage the choke, turn the key, press ignition and the engine fires up right away. Although, I have to keep the throttle twisted a bit. The bike doesn't keep the minimum. In fact, when I let the throttle go, the engine goes below 1000 rpm, and after few seconds it dies.

Background: I've left the bike unused for 4 weeks after a 3-4k miles tour. Last weekend (Oct 6th), I disconnected the battery for a long time and made few replacement to the wires connecting the gps and the 12v connector. When I reconnected the battery, the above happened. I thought I burnt the spark plugs, so I replaced them (Oct 13th) hoping to solve the issue. However the only change was a less, but still horrible, mechanic noise when the engine goes below 1000 rpm. For clarity: before changing the spark plugs the mechanic noise was terrifying, now after replacing them is still worrying but not as bad. To me seems that the origin of the noise is the right hand side of the engine.

I really hope the above makes sense (for both the explanation and my English). As you can guess, my expertise is close to zero.

Thank you guys! :bow

Marco

Sounds like that old classic problem of throttle body cable dislodged - look in sticky at the top of the 1100/1150 section HERE

DO your self a favour, if it has a centre stand use it,,,,rather than the side stand, I had a similar experience last week scary as FOOK,:cock

Sounds like that old classic problem of throttle body cable dislodged - look in sticky at the top of the 1100/1150 section HERE

Thanks Steptoe, as usual. I'll try to follow the instructions there. As soon as the bike runs again I'll definitively come and visit you. I believe the bike deserves a more professional attention rather than my own. You run a garage in Richmond right?

Hi saggy0000, thanks for advice...but I don't get it :confused: The bike was on the centre stand when I had this problem...maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks anyway :beerjug:

Marco

Could be that the oil has drained out of the camchain tensioner where it has been stood for some time.

They make a godawful noise until the tensioner has repressurised

Could be that the oil has drained out of the camchain tensioner where it has been stood for some time.

Mine did this no matter what when I first got it, replaced it with the newer tensioner and haven't heard it since, but yeah it was a bit disconcerting hearing that heavy clonking noise on startup. At least it's only a quick job.

Hi Santa, thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom